Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Buying an unregistered imported vehicle
02GF74

posted on 5/3/20 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Buying an unregistered imported vehicle

Anybody done this to give me a brief outline of what is involved.

To be a bit more specific, I'm looking at a Japanese motor cycle that in in the UK with nova document.

The title (equivalent of v5?) is missing but may turn up.
Even if it doesn't, been told a letter to yamaha with frame number is enough when they confirm date of manufacture.

Then it I'd getting mot and applying for registration.

This part worries me as it may be difficult snd/or expensive to get insurance on the frame number, I know it is possible as I did that for my kit car in order to drive it to the sva test centre.

At a push I guess hiring a van to take it to mot place but that may prove to be costly if it fails.

Anything else I need to be aware of, being Japanese who drive on the left means headlamp is suitable for UK.

steve m

posted on 5/3/20 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Speedo will be wrong, as in KM, also with out any paperwork, how do you know its not nicked ?

just my suspicious mind

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

02GF74

posted on 5/3/20 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
^^^^ yes, you are correct, I should have mentioned the speedo, mph units can be gotten both here and in USA and I have factored in that cost. It is possible to buy replacement speedo face which will correct mph but the odometer will be wrong. I am assuming the drive at the wheel is identical for both mph and kph units.

And yes, it could be a scam, it is dk motorcycled in Newcastle under Lyme. It looks genuine enough, famous last words...

Slimy38

posted on 5/3/20 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
^^^^ yes, you are correct, I should have mentioned the speedo, mph units can be gotten both here and in USA and I have factored in that cost. It is possible to buy replacement speedo face which will correct mph but the odometer will be wrong. I am assuming the drive at the wheel is identical for both mph and kph units.

And yes, it could be a scam, it is dk motorcycled in Newcastle under Lyme. It looks genuine enough, famous last words...

DK have been going for years, I bought my first bike from them more than 15 years ago. They were doing imports back then, some pretty tasty stuff that was way out of my price league. I'd certainly trust them in terms of it being a genuine bike with no sordid history. They should also be able to provide a lot of help with getting it all sorted in the UK.

I would also recommend getting an insurance quote before you start all this off though, I don't know whether an imported bike would be cheaper or more expensive to insure. Not just related to a 'frame only' policy but for the fully registered bike. At the very least you'll need to fit a Thatcham cat 1 alarm (if the bike doesn't have one already).

[Edited on 5/3/20 by Slimy38]

r1_pete

posted on 5/3/20 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
Done this a few times...

You have the NOVA cert/number so duties have been paid.

Insure the bike on the chassis number, or trailer it to MOT.

MOT the bike on the chassis number.

Get a date of manufacture from the uk agent, or marque owners club.

Complete the registration form v55 irc, there is a fee which was £55.

You'll get an age related plate, eventually.

Go to a decent insurer, try Carole Nash, they aren't bad on price and do understand these things.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 8/3/20 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
R1pete read 2nd u2u, ignore 1st, or ignore both.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.