Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dishwasher woes...
jps

posted on 4/4/20 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
Dishwasher woes...

I’ve got a built in AEG dishwasher that has stopped behaving. In locost spirit I’d like to repair it, but running out of ideas, so thought I’d try on here...

The model is a few years old and pretty basic (it came ‘free’ with a Wickes kitchen) with just 3 different heat options and a rinse cycle. It stopped working a few months ago, which I diagnosed as overfilling and triggering the ‘flood’ switch. I found out there is what I assume is a sort of float switch piped off from the sump that was all clogged with fat. I cleaned it out and all was sorted. I assume the fat was stopping the float switch getting enough pressure unless it had a greater head of water above it - and that switch was the one that cut the water supply (hence the overfilling and subsequent flooding).

With hindsight I realised that the machine was very full with water when running, prior to this first fix. After I fixed it it ran with hardly any water visible in the bottom of the machine.

Now the machine is stopping, seemingly because it is not pumping out fully, fairly early on in a cycle. I’ve checked the previous issue, all is clear. The machine doesn’t seem to be overfilling, water level in operation looks ok, and the flood switch isn't getting tripped.

I’ve checked the pipe that drains the dirty water from the sump, totally clear where it exits. And if I stick a load of water in the machine by hand it pumps it all out (I’ve run several kettle fulls of hot water through).

Last time it was faulty we tried 4 different repair men, no one turned up. So keen to try and fix it myself again!

Mr Whippy

posted on 4/4/20 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
May sound a bit mad but I pour a cup of bleach in ours empty and run it at full temp then 2 times with just the tablet to clean out any trace of bleach. I also do this with the washing machine, certainly seems to sort them out.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bi22le

posted on 4/4/20 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
So it's not throwing up a fault which is stopping it from working? It thinks it's doing the job but not?

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Angel Acevedo

posted on 5/4/20 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
May sound a bit mad but I pour a cup of bleach in ours empty and run it at full temp then 2 times with just the tablet to clean out any trace of bleach. I also do this with the washing machine, certainly seems to sort them out.

For grease deposits, I´d think drain cleaner or other caustic cleaner would be etter suited to this job?

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 5/4/20 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Don't use bleach if your machine has stainless steel parts inside - it will cause corrosion, usually appearing as etching on the surface.

If you don't believe me, just Google "bleach and stainless steel".

Oh - and if your machine has aluminium parts inside, don't use caustic solutions.

[Edited on 5/4/20 by David Jenkins]

jps

posted on 5/4/20 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
So it's not throwing up a fault which is stopping it from working? It thinks it's doing the job but not?

Sorry for the slow reply, been enjoying the sun! The error (which is indicated by a pattern of beeping, this thing has no lcd display!) seems to indicate it’s a water supply problem, so tomorrow I’ll be checking the inlet valve and the mesh filter that sits between the valve and the inlet solenoid...

craig1410

posted on 5/4/20 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Something you might want to check is if the “sump” is actually flooded. I had this problem with an Ikea dishwasher where it actually has a float sensor in the panel BENEATH the dishwasher which is designed to catch any overflow before it floods your kitchen. It’s literally a panel underneath the dishwasher which is designed to catch any overspill and on my machine was indeed flooded. I fixed the blockage inside the machine which was causing the spillage and then drained and mopped up the water in the sump and all was well!

Your owner’s manual might describe the sump as mine did, but like you, I thought the sump was the bit inside the washer where the filter sits.

HTH,
Craig.

Mr Whippy

posted on 6/4/20 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Don't use bleach if your machine has stainless steel parts inside - it will cause corrosion, usually appearing as etching on the surface.

If you don't believe me, just Google "bleach and stainless steel".

Oh - and if your machine has aluminium parts inside, don't use caustic solutions.

[Edited on 5/4/20 by David Jenkins]

Possibly, I haven't seen any staining inside, but it is well diluted once the waters filled up. I must be doing something right as the machines over 10 years old and still working perfectly despite daily use.

jps

posted on 6/4/20 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
a float sensor in the panel BENEATH the dishwasher which is designed to catch any overflow before it floods your kitchen. It’s literally a panel underneath the dishwasher which is designed to catch any overspill

Thanks - yes this is what I found out about with the first problem a few months ago. A good design feature I thought, but sadly not the problem this time....

jps

posted on 7/4/20 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le

Bi22le - thanks for asking this question, it prompted me to go back to basics and check the error codes! I checked the inlet valve and - despite there being no apparent blockage - I must have disturbed whatever was restricting the water feed. I don't want to count my chickens, but it's done 3 cycles now with no more errors!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.