Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MX5 runs warm ?
FFMan

posted on 10/8/20 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
MX5 runs warm ?

Just testing an MX5 based Haynes roadster I acquired part built and am turning into a track car.

On it's first road test last night, the temp gauge (original dash) got up to 3/4 way and stayed there. Fan didn't cut in and it didn't seem too hot under the bonnet.

It seems these days the gauges are often not proper gauges, and are ecu driven.Not sure if its the case here as it stayed rock steady at 3/4 way which seemed a little odd. It does start from the bottom when cold and rise with the engine run time, so I know it is not entirely broken.

Can anyone offer any experience from their car, or do people all switch to different dashes and gauges etc ?

JAG

posted on 10/8/20 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
I have the Mazda 1.6 from an Eunos (MX5) in my car. It's completely standard and I didn't use the original gauges. I have a Racetech mechanical water temperature gauge and a VW Polo radiator. It runs around 80-90 Celsius and the fan only cuts in when the car is stationary for over 5 minutes or so.

The VW Polo fan switch cut's in at 92 Celsius.

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

gary gsx

posted on 12/8/20 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
Evening

Nothing to do with running hot because mines not running

But question is what is the performance like? My build is currently a 1.6, I know a 1.6 wont set the world on fire but do they go ok?

Gary

FFMan

posted on 12/8/20 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gary gsx
Evening

Nothing to do with running hot because mines not running

But question is what is the performance like? My build is currently a 1.6, I know a 1.6 wont set the world on fire but do they go ok?

Gary

I'm not sure how it goes, there were a few issues on the first test so i didn't push it at all, inc poor brakes. Hoping to test it again this weekend and give it a bit more.

getting warm likely a combination of duff stat and silty cooling system. Flushed out best i could and will fit new stat, plus also fitting a proper temp gauge running it's own sender so i know what is really going on.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.