Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Cannot become contributor
Agent Leman

posted on 3/10/20 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
Cannot become contributor

I have donated 2 times (via Paypal) and my status has not been changed to contributor. I have written to Chris 3 times without receiving a reply. Is it me or am I right to feel brassed off?

Has anyone else had this problem or know of a solution coause I really like the site and want to use it fully.

ReMan

posted on 3/10/20 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Sadly the site is not constantly maintained any more, (but I expect you will get your update at some point)
Nor is it as busy as it used to be since many stuff is on FB groups.
But it still remains a goto for me and a sensible platform without all the shite FB expert opinions.
I dont think theres a better forom for asking of piste questions that have nothing to do with locosts either!!

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

steve m

posted on 3/10/20 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
Good reply !!

This site is nothing, compared to what it was 10-15 years ago, and especially Locosts, as said, as any one still building one now, needs their
head examining, as its so 1990 techno

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

ReMan

posted on 3/10/20 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
Yes such a shame, I "lived" on here 10-15 years ago.
I think many have drifted off to FB because the site is so old tech (photo uploading is integral to FB but a PITA here), but regardless of the type of kit the info here still serves well and needs preserving.
If I want a "cough" balanced opinion of any thing its great place to start still too, but sadly half a dozen on line is becoming the norm

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Mr Whippy

posted on 4/10/20 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Its funny, the whole reason I like these cars is the low tech bare bones experience. I find modern cars spectacularly dull.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

posted on 5/10/20 at 03:48 AM Reply With Quote
I too have been on here many years.

Contributed at first, but then got pee'd of at the lack of response.
It must be relatively easy to set up an automated "thank you" email.

Personally I think people respond better to a "thank you" than they would to a big red "nag screen" across the top of the page.

nick205

posted on 5/10/20 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Its funny, the whole reason I like these cars is the low tech bare bones experience. I find modern cars spectacularly dull.

Spot on

40inches

posted on 5/10/20 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907

Personally I think people respond better to a "thank you" than they would to a big red "nag screen" across the top of the page.

That's odd, I contributed in July and got a "thank you" U2U.

Agent Leman

posted on 5/10/20 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
I love the site and it perfectly represents the approach to my cars and the engineering challenges that I value. It would be a shame to see it fail either through a fall off of enthusiasm from users and Chris.

Unfortunatley having had no response to my 2 Paypal donations in to chris@locostbuilders.co.uk account (the first was in June) I am hoping that raising the issue this way may achieve a result.

loggyboy

posted on 5/10/20 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:
Originally posted by 907

That's odd, I contributed in July and got a "thank you" U2U.

I suspect - if its like mine - its suffixed with 'This is an automated message. Please do not reply!'

Mistral Motorsport

coyoteboy

posted on 5/10/20 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907

You get a thankyou when you contribute (normally) - the red banner is when you haven't contributed yet (as I haven't, for ages) so a thankyou makes no sense

It's a tough nut to crack though, there's no right answer.

I struggle with contributing to a forum I don't visit much anymore (not though lack of interest, but through lack of info relative to my plans) so I've not done it for a few years.

With a few software updates and a good mobile-compatible theme, more people would stick around. Alas this forum seems destined to go the way of the dodo currently. I'm not aware of any facebook groups covering similar areas just now, but I hate facebook groups - they kill forums and sensible discussion and lead only to endless newbie questions and arguments, and the content is never properly searchable. The world is going the route of easy human interaction and zero content.

coyoteboy

posted on 5/10/20 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907

You get a thankyou when you contribute (normally) - the red banner is when you haven't contributed yet (as I haven't, for ages) so a thankyou makes no sense

It's a tough nut to crack though, there's no right answer.

I struggle with contributing to a forum I don't visit much anymore (not though lack of interest, but through lack of info relative to my plans) so I've not done it for a few years.

With a few software updates and a good mobile-compatible theme, more people would stick around. Alas this forum seems destined to go the way of the dodo currently. I'm not aware of any facebook groups covering similar areas just now, but I hate facebook groups - they kill forums and sensible discussion and lead only to endless newbie questions and arguments, and the content is never properly searchable. The world is going the route of easy human interaction and zero content.

Irony

posted on 5/10/20 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Agree! So many cars on the road and I literally cannot tell them apart. I just call them 'traffic'. It will be interesting to see what classics come out of this era. I cannot conceive that a MK1 Ford KUGA will be highly sort after in 30 years.

Irony

posted on 5/10/20 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
I am mildly worried that Locostbuilders will simply vanish one day. Not sure what to do about it though.
coyoteboy

posted on 6/10/20 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
I'd considered offering to host and upgrade it myself, but it felt a bit like stepping on Chris's toes - he's put a lot of time and effort into this forum and probably got very little thanks for it (from my own past experience with forums! lol).

It's a little more complex in that now you have GDPR to contend with and the complications that fall out of that.

scudderfish

posted on 6/10/20 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
I am mildly worried that Locostbuilders will simply vanish one day. Not sure what to do about it though.

https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://locostbuilders.co.uk/

nick205

posted on 6/10/20 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
quote:

Agree! So many cars on the road and I literally cannot tell them apart. I just call them 'traffic'. It will be interesting to see what classics come out of this era. I cannot conceive that a MK1 Ford KUGA will be highly sort after in 30 years.

Agreed - I too fail to see which current cars will become sought after classics. To me they all seem too much alike and rather bland. Cars from the 1980's are my era, but that's probably my age

Paul M

posted on 7/10/20 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
same boat here - I donated again about 5-6 weeks ago via paypal, I still get the same red
warning everytime i log in - " its now xxxx months since you donated " etc etc.

SSC Stylus 2.0. Blacktop, Omex
ECU & Bodies

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.