Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: X/flow Kent or Piper cam ?
Deckman001

posted on 30/11/20 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
X/flow Kent or Piper cam ?

Anyone got a Kent or Piper cam you don't want to keep on your shelf anymore?
am looking along the lines of

Kent.
BCF1
BCF2

Piper.
BP270
BP255

Am running bike carbs, big bore exhaust, Electronic ignition and a lightened flywheel.

Jason

steve m

posted on 30/11/20 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
285 was my fav, but you do need to ,make a lot of modifications for it it work

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

joneh

posted on 1/12/20 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
I went for a Newman camshaft. Not actually got the engine running yet but they were extremely helpful:

http://www.newman-cams.com/camshafts/

Jon

JMW

posted on 1/12/20 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a BCF2 and a 234, both used, but I can't see any undue wear. Are you interested in either?
Deckman001

posted on 1/12/20 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
Hi guys, thanks for your replies, am hesitating about refurbishing this engine now as the costs are still raising each time i remove more parts, I'll know more at the weekend after i get time to check the bores and shells.

Jason

steve m

posted on 1/12/20 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
Jason,

if you are going to put a hot cam in, theres a lot more to do, and each cam will have it own parameters

On the 285 cam (i believe the 270 as well) along with NEW followers the pistons have to be pocketed, double valve springs are at the very minimum that you can safely get away with,

For decent power, you need to have +60 1660cc or +90 rebore 1691cc,
balanced and lightened bottom end
Stage 3 flowed head,
High lift valve lifters,
Decent exhaust headers

All the above is a lot of money, and you will never make decent BHP, i made 150BHP ONCE!! and that was the 1691 engine

Also dont forget, that on a crossflow to change a cam, its an engine out and upside down

Personly, perhaps get the car on the road, live with the little 1300 untill you blow it up, and stick a zetec or similar in its place,

And on the subject of the 1300, i wouldnt even waste your money on any of the above modifications, as the power increase versus costs
would be like putting expensive running shows on an Elephant

However if you had an AX block, as in 1800cc, i believe can be taken out to nearly 2000cc, with all of the above modifications, you could get around 200bhp

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

rusty nuts

posted on 1/12/20 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Didn’t need valvepockets with a BCF2 , good up to around 130BHP with a reasonable torque spread , obviously with other mods . Good 1600 cross flows seem to make good money these days . The only way to fully access wear in an engine is a total strip and measure up. I was lucky when I rebuilt mine as I had been buying parts that were often advertised incorrectly on eBay and paid very little. Think I paid £40 for a BNIB BCF2 kit complete with new followers, springs etc . Double springs are not necessarily needed , use the springs recommended by the cam manufacturers. Newman cams are just down the road from Croydon , they are very helpful and may even have some new old stock?
Deckman001

posted on 4/12/20 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Hi all, cheers for the recommendations, I am getting the head sorted in the next couple of weeks, and keeping the bottom end std sized so hopefully just new bearings and a cam with followers . These will depend on how my cylinder head gets sorted with valve sizes and flows and all of this is based on a maximum cost ceiling so fingers crossed I can get it all done in the new year and then i can get my IVA retest booked in the snow !!

All these works are due to one of my fail items, emissions were due to no.4 with failed pressure tests.

Jason

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.