Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mini Clubman R55
AndyGT

posted on 14/12/20 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Mini Clubman R55

We have an R55 clubman mini and recently had a headlamp out. "No bother" me thinks! "WRONG!" says the mini!!

Long story short the bulb had blown AND there is now only 3.5 volts on the pins of the H4 connector and 10.8v on the other side. I've checked all he fuses but don't want to be changing loads of parts to find the issue is something else. I'm thinking it could be the switch due to the low voltage on the only working bulb!

Anyone have a mini that they can check the headlamp bulb voltage please? 10.8v seemed low to me but 14.x volts on battery terminals!

Thanks in advance

nothing is impossible
everything is possible

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 14/12/20 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
Is it running Canbus ? as i had very weird electrical problems with a washer motor on an old 2008 mondeo
my avo meter, showed, some very weird currents and voltages, and only once a genuine ford washer motor was installed (£39) did everything go back to normal

I do believe that manufactures have "manufactured" the cars to only accept genuine "costley" parts

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

jacko

posted on 14/12/20 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
What happens if you put a new bulb in ?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 14/12/20 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Electronics, the new rust!
AndyGT

posted on 15/12/20 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, the new rust indeed and nothing used to rot quicker than a mini!

So to help me, if anyone has a mini that they can check the voltage from the bulb connector , than that would be great.

I thought it would have been close to battery voltage but there about 4v difference hence me thinking a relay issue or even the switch itself...

Thanks in advance any mini owners out there!

[Edited on 15/12/20 by AndyGT]

nothing is impossible
everything is possible

obfripper

posted on 15/12/20 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
The body control ecu (bcm) needs to see continuity before it will power the bulb, the voltages you are seeing are part of the continuity test and are not relevant to the bulb operation.
Most vehicles with a bcm have a specific routine that needs to be followed after replacing a bulb, ie the ignition needs to be cycled or the car needs to be locked/unlocked before it will enable the presently disabled circuit.

If it's not detecting continuity, there could be a fault with the contacts in the headlamp (not seen it on a mini but common on mercs and vw's), or a wiring issue elsewhere.

Dave

mgb281

posted on 16/12/20 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
I do believe that manufactures have "manufactured" the cars to only accept genuine "costley" parts

The following has nothing to do with a Mini but a Smart car and it must be true because I read it on the internet!
The owner of a Smart car suddenly found his car would not start, there was nothing no dash lights but the battery was fully charged. After spending hundreds of pounds trying to find where the problem lay the garage asked him to tell them what had happened to the car before the failure to start. The owner replied nothing, I only changed a brake light bulb. The garage replaced the bulb with a "genuine" one and lo and behold the car started immediately.
As I said it was on the internet so it must be true.

Mr Whippy

posted on 16/12/20 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mgb281

The following has nothing to do with a Mini but a Smart car and it must be true because I read it on the internet!
The owner of a Smart car suddenly found his car would not start, there was nothing no dash lights but the battery was fully charged. After spending hundreds of pounds trying to find where the problem lay the garage asked him to tell them what had happened to the car before the failure to start. The owner replied nothing, I only changed a brake light bulb. The garage replaced the bulb with a "genuine" one and lo and behold the car started immediately.
As I said it was on the internet so it must be true.

True story, I replaced the tail lights on my wife's Zafira with LEDs as it seemed to burn out bulbs very quickly. Only problem now was the engine wouldn't turn off even with the key removed! Put back the normal bulbs and back to normal. Weirdest thing ever, I could only put it down to the early Canbus system it uaed.

steve m

posted on 16/12/20 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Hence why i questioned Canbus. in my reply, as on my washer bottle wiring, the voltage was pulsating from .3 v to 4v (from memory) although the washer motor is 12v, and feeds both and front, although but only two wires ?

I took advice from a friend who works at a local Car parts place, and he said dont bother with anything apart from a genuine Ford item, as they will not work, and thats what i bought, and it worked fine, he was right!

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

peter030371

posted on 17/12/20 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AndyGT
We have an R55 clubman mini and recently had a headlamp out. "No bother" me thinks! "WRONG!" says the mini!!

Long story short the bulb had blown AND there is now only 3.5 volts on the pins of the H4 connector and 10.8v on the other side. I've checked all he fuses but don't want to be changing loads of parts to find the issue is something else. I'm thinking it could be the switch due to the low voltage on the only working bulb!

Anyone have a mini that they can check the headlamp bulb voltage please? 10.8v seemed low to me but 14.x volts on battery terminals!

Thanks in advance

I have an R56 Mini. With CAN bus, PWM and 'bulb check' systems you are probably wasting your time trying to measure a voltage unless you are using an oscilloscope and know what you are doing with it. Even with the lights switched off the system checks the bulbs are still there.

Step one try fitting a known good bulb (use the one from the other side). Does that work?

Last winter I fitted LED headlight bulbs to my mini (yes, I know its illegal) and they did all sorts of weird flickering even when switched 'off'. I got an OBD reader and the BimmerCode app and turned off the bulb check function and they work perfectly now. The light is so much better than any H4 candle, sorry bulb, I tried before :p It has passed the MOT and I asked the MOT man if the headlights are OK and he said the beam looked 'spot on'. I have passed my wife driving the other way in it and it was no different to any other modern car

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.