Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: PVC windows to fit existing glazing units
Mr Whippy

posted on 8/11/21 at 02:04 AM Reply With Quote
PVC windows to fit existing glazing units

Has anyone found a supplier who can make PVC windows to measure but also can accept existing double glazing units? I need a few new windows to replace rotten wooden ones but want to spend as little cash as possible. I'm quite happy to fit them. Failing that I may just build new wooden frames but like the idea of PVC.

Cheers

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cliftyhanger

posted on 8/11/21 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
Bit confused, but I think you are hoping to reuse the DG glass units from the rotten wooden frames?
I doubt that is a great idea, they have a limited life before they start to leak. And the DG units are not terribly expensive. (a typical unit I pay about £30, down here in the expensive SE) On top of that, the current DG units are mainly 28mm, but in wooden frames they are often thinner.

uPVC windows seem to have got a bit more expensive. I am off to fit 4 today (no pay, for my MIL) and they are all replacing 70s casement windows. 3 are 4' square, the last is 4x6
Total window cost was £1500 from Window Store, but prices seem to be pretty consistent across suppliers.

Of course, to fit a wndow you are supposed to be FENSA registered, or get building control to sign it off. I reckon I fit windows to a higher std than most "professional" fitters who are paid per window. Seen some shocking jobs. Plenty fixed just with foam.

nick205

posted on 8/11/21 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
Mr Whippy

If you're wanting to re-use the glass you've got into new uPVC frames then I'd not bother. Just get 2-3 local window companies to quote you for supply and fit f uPVC frames with glass. The glaazing will be right up to modern specs and probably triple glazed so quieter and save you on heat loss.

Reusing the glass you've got means it will fail and need replacing sooner = more cost and hassle.

Just had to replace a glazing unit I managed to dreak mowing the lawn (mower kicked up a flint). New glazing unit was £120 and fitted in under 30 minutes, including removing the old broken mess.

Mr Whippy

posted on 8/11/21 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the reply's. I'm quite happy to fit the windows as I built the whole house plus another 3 of them of this style.

I might just pull the frame out and rebuild it as the glazing units are in perfect condition as it seems a waist to bin them. I have 3 windows that need sorted as they are battered by the wind and rain . A good winter project I suppose.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
roadrunner

posted on 8/11/21 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
If you could use PVC the section size will differ meaning larger or smaller overall Dims that's if the glazing is the same thickness.
There is also a major shortage of PVC section so window manufactures are really struggling at the moment.

James

posted on 9/11/21 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner
If you could use PVC the section size will differ meaning larger or smaller overall Dims that's if the glazing is the same thickness.
There is also a major shortage of PVC section so window manufactures are really struggling at the moment.

Just plane the panes down- simples.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

roadrunner

posted on 9/11/21 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.