Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Where we are at.....
Alan B

posted on 12/11/02 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
Where we are at.....

Well guys 2 days without a post.....not good enough
Unless we are working on our projects of course....speaking of which, where are we all at..progress-wise?
I'm pretty up to date on most builds but everyone else may not be......

I'm getting close to body moulds...
http://www.desicodesign.com/meerkat/

Comments welcome as usual

Soooooo.........

How much progress has everyone else made?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TheGecko

posted on 12/11/02 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Alan,

I've completed the first day of a two day MIG welding course and now have a new found respect for the ability of UV to penetrate gaps in clothing

I've got almost all of my mechanical parts collected except for the steering rack and the engine/ecu/loom, which will have to wait until further into the build (and budget!).

Another local Locost builder has agreed to sell me his build board which is 3/4" plywood with custom made steel trestles. That should be here sometime in the next week or so.

Once I get the rack I can finish the layout of the front suspension and thence the chassis. Subject to an in principle approval from the authorising engineer, I should be welding metal before Xmas.

About time I updated the web site to reflect all of this too, I suppose.

Dominic

theconrodkid

posted on 12/11/02 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
ive been too busy earning a living to do much this week,chassis nearly finnished,wishbone bracket location sorted,rack mount made,going to get the wishbone tube this weekend hopefully
ProjectSRP

posted on 12/11/02 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Well not much progress on construction yet. I am just finishing insulating the garage so that I can work on the chassis over the winter (It gets bloody cold here in Canada).

Next construction job will be to construct the build table.

Suspension geometry should be complete in a couple of weeks and I will build a 10th scale model of the chassis to do some basic rigidity testing and make sure all the important bits fit in (engine, transaxle, fuel cell, driver etc).

Also ordered myself a new toy to play with. Its an Invertig 200 amp Inverter based TIG welder. Now all I need to do is brush up on my TIG welding skills

interestedparty

posted on 12/11/02 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
I've done the middle bit, and I've offered it up to the engine and subframe etc, which is blocked up to the correct height. I haven't triangulated anything yet, that can wait until I know everything fits.

The first part of my 'Merlin's Magic Box' arrived today, he's sending the rest, which is being specially made to my spec (wider than 'book') in a couple of days.

For anyone who doesn't know, the magic box is a laser cut, folded steel box into which all the front susopension mountings fit. There's a pic in the photo section which isn't accessible, so I'll post a pic of mine when it'sassembled. It's a key part of my project.

John

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

sgraber

posted on 12/11/02 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by interestedparty
There's a pic in the photo section which isn't accessible, so I'll post a pic of mine when it'sassembled. It's a key part of my project.

John

Well now my curiosity is perked up. I want to see the magic box!!! Can we learn the magic before you finish it?

Regarding my build: I just finished attaching the rack to the front subframe (hardest part of the build so far IMO). I have the engine on castors(wheels) at ride height, with halfshafts and wheels attached and and will be building the rear engine cradle this weekend. After that it's on to the 4 trailing links and with it the decision to go DeDion or follow Alan's lead and do IRS.

Steve G

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TheGecko

posted on 13/11/02 at 01:12 AM Reply With Quote
As I'm just about to start laying out my front suspension I'd like to see the magix box too

Dominic

theconrodkid

posted on 13/11/02 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
before i attach my front wishbone brackets how much castor shall i build in?any different to front engined cars?
ProjectSRP

posted on 13/11/02 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Usually from 3 to about 5 degrees. I would think a typical figure would be 3.5 - 4 degrees. If you don't have power steering then using a lower amount reduces the amount of steering effort. Typical race cars run 3 - 3.5 but a bit more is usually included in street cars to make them more stable and require less continuous steering input.
Alan B

posted on 13/11/02 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
I went for 5.5 degrees with some adjustability.
theconrodkid

posted on 13/11/02 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
ive had a change of design in mine,ill pannel it all in and fit an outboard to the back.will it ever stop raining?
Barker

posted on 15/11/02 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
A bit further on than attached pic

Taking home bandit tonight so can start fitting rear rails together. Am going for verttical roll over bar like yours.

bit chilly and wet here near Aberdeen!
Also cant get sierra brake disc off hub - even with v large hammer and vice and 48 hrs soaking in WD40 and then petrol!!! any suggestions?

Pete
Rescued attachment Mid eng chasis.jpg
Rescued attachment Mid eng chasis.jpg

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.