Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is there room here for another???
robinbastd

posted on 20/11/02 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
Is there room here for another???

At last I've stumbled across some like minded people- mid engined is the way to go. I've recently driven a GTM Libra,and been the passenger in a Mojo (Renault 5 turbo powered) I couldn't drive it as it was designed for midgets. At this point I have to confess that I'm freakishly tall,hence the need to build my own car from the seat/pedals up!!
I'm considering using a Citroen BX Gti 16v as the donor,because they're almost free,have a cracking engine- same as pug 406,and if I remember correctly the handbrake operates on the front wheels.
I'd appreciate any comments,
Ian,Robin Hood owner,deepest sunny Cornwall

Alan B

posted on 21/11/02 at 01:29 AM Reply With Quote
Ian, there is always room for people who know where the engine should go in a car

Welcome to mid-engine heaven.

The donor sounds good. especially the handbrake bit. Keep in touch as you progress.

Have seen mine yet? (oo..errr missus )

http://www.desicodesign.com/meerkat/

I'd also be interested in your opinions/comments on the Libra and the Mojo.

Cheers, Alan B

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
interestedparty

posted on 21/11/02 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robinbastd
I couldn't drive it as it was designed for midgets. At this point I have to confess that I'm freakishly tall,hence the need to build my own car from the seat/pedals up!!

So how tall are you?
I have the same problem, only at 6'4" I would describle myself as deliciously tall rather than freakishly tall, and no standard passenger car has enough legroom for me, and kit cars are usually worse. The citroen does sound good with the front handbrake thing, although on my build I've found that the Sierra rear disc brakes will, with some mods, fit. Do you know what the gearlinkage situation is with the Citroen? I'm getting some skilled help with mineto convert from rod to cable, and will publish the results when I have them

John

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

robinbastd

posted on 21/11/02 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
In reply to John, I'm 6'6",which is why I'm so fond of the Libra- room to spare!!! The downside being the cost. I drove the black V6 used in their adverts,etc., it really is very special!! I'll stop rambling about it now lest this turns into a plug for GTM....
The next time a BX parks in my carpark I'll slither underneath and have a peek at the gear change mechanism- being a Citroen it will no doubt take an unconventional route!!
As for the Mojo- questionable looks,mildly improved in the mk2 version,but superb handling, with the 5 turbo motor you soon forgot it's appearance. It has been timed 0-60 in 3.7 secs.
Alan, your Meerkat site is fantastic,where do you find the time to do both site and car??? The MR2 donor is probably the best way to go,but my masochistic tendencies lead me toward the bx (for the time being)
Had a good look at the 4age engine at the Exeter kit car show last week,still cant get over how small the thing is nudge nudge.
Is this getting a little too Frankie Howard??
Ian

garethpowys

posted on 21/11/02 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robinbastd
I'm considering using a Citroen BX Gti 16v as the donor,because they're almost free,have a cracking engine- same as pug 406,and if I remember correctly the handbrake operates on the front wheels.
I'd appreciate any comments,
Ian,Robin Hood owner,deepest sunny Cornwall

A few comments on the donor:

It will be hard to find one, the Mi16 powered cars weren't very common and every impecunious 205 and 309 thrasher out there is after one to fit in their. You'll have a cue to join.

It is a good engine, but in the BX all engines tended to wear out quickly, probably due to driving that big hydraulic pump. My sister's BX wore out it's engine completely in about 50,000 miles. Try to find a low miler if you can - not an easy task.

You are right about the handbrake.

Gareth

Alan B

posted on 21/11/02 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Ian, thanks for the GTM/Mojo feedback, and the kind words about my site.
To be honest updating the site is easy, I almost always take some pictures every time I work on the car, then post a few every few days with a bit of blurb....maybe 15/20 minutes per update.

You are right the MR2 does give you a good start, but I would have used some regular FWD donor had the one I got not been available.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sgraber

posted on 25/11/02 at 01:39 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Ian,

Welcome to our nightmare!

Just kidding, building sportscars from scratch without a builders manual is fun!

See you around!

Steve Graber
http://www.newtier.com/graber/mid-engine

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

robinbastd

posted on 25/11/02 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
The nightmare will truly begin in January,after my busy time at work,and retrieving my workshop roof from my neighbours garden. In the meantime I'm fannying around deciding which donor to use...........Had a look at your site yesterday Steve,rest assured I will not be having a website! Virtually computer illiterate,and very likely to stay that way until the kids are old enough to teach me-at 2 and 15 weeks we're a way away!!
Regards
Ian

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.