Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MX5 uprights.?
takumi

posted on 27/11/06 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
MX5 uprights.?

I am going round in circles looking for cortina uprights, and seeing ones go on fleabay for £70+ just makes my eyes roll..

I have read that you can use the Mx5 front uprights, as they are very similar in design with kingpin top and bottom..

I'm sure the PCD is different from ford, nothing would be that simple..!lol. My question is really can you use the cortina style hub with the MX5 upright?

atb

tak

RobinHood 2B 2.0i pinto, Keihin 38mm Carbs, lightened flywheel, O'Mori remote filter kit, 10 row oil cooler. Modified head, 10.2cr, special valves FR22 cam, 4- 1 header.

meany

posted on 27/11/06 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
what about Sierra hubs?
thats what i am using.

i've no idea about mx5 hubs..sorry

Bob C

posted on 28/11/06 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
Can be done - checkout my website. There ARE difficulties to overcome - it's not a simple bolt up job.
Bob
PS front's hard but back's a doddle

[Edited on 28/11/06 by Bob C]

jdgar

posted on 28/11/06 at 01:19 AM Reply With Quote
a lot of guys here in the states are using MX5 parts
See;
http://www.fiaccone.com/
http://rivera.fotomojo.us/g/albums.php

There seem to be some obstacles, but Chris Fiaccone's build is beautiful from what I have heard. I hope to see it someday soon.
Joe

"If it 'ah one ting, is a nex'.

airframefixer

posted on 28/11/06 at 03:09 AM Reply With Quote
Bob c

what type of ball joint did you use for your front end uppers? did it require modification to your uprights

takumi

posted on 28/11/06 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
maybe just stick with the search

I dont suppose anyone on here has 'spare' cortina uprights.?lol

?

RobinHood 2B 2.0i pinto, Keihin 38mm Carbs, lightened flywheel, O'Mori remote filter kit, 10 row oil cooler. Modified head, 10.2cr, special valves FR22 cam, 4- 1 header.

chockymonster

posted on 28/11/06 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
MX5 PCD is 4x100, 54mm centre bore with a 35-42mm offset.

I bought my wife some ATS DTC alloys for her MX5 which are multi drilled, 4x100 and 4x108! Damned light too.

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Danozeman

posted on 28/11/06 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
Sierra uprights. Cheap as chips and only a slightly different wishbone required.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

Bob C

posted on 28/11/06 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
I used transit drag link - borrowed MK's taper reamer to make it fit.
Bob

alistairolsen

posted on 1/4/08 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
The mk5 upright appears to have better geometry, andif you can get ford fitment hubs...

Any details on those? (or on 4x100 hubs for sierra rear?)

what modifications did you make to the wishbones and chassis mounts to get it to work?

Also, I see you made some driveshaft adaptors to mate the mazda shafts to the sierra diff, I assume this allowed you to use unmodified mazda shafts?

[Edited on 2/4/08 by alistairolsen]

Bob C

posted on 1/4/08 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
Chassis mounts are stock (original book). Wishbones are completely custom, but you can download a pdf drawing from my website somewhere - though it works better if you make front top bone 1/2inch longer & build in a bit more caster.
Bob

alistairolsen

posted on 2/4/08 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
spent a couple of hours on your site last night and it certainly looks good!

How do you find the rate of camber gain in bump by comparison to the cortina units?

How do you find the steering? Did you get sufficient self centring in the end? nicely balance with the lower scrub radius?

Do you have any idea what the mx5 uprights weigh?

Also, I see you made some driveshaft adaptors to mate the mazda shafts to the sierra diff, I assume this allowed you to use unmodified mazda shafts?

MikeR

posted on 2/4/08 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
have you looked at rally design. Cortina upright equiv in ali + ali hubs + other bits for 200 quid.

Seems a bargain to me.

alistairolsen

posted on 2/4/08 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
and what help is that in curing the utterly horrendous geometry intrinsic in the cortina front hubs?

ps, its not 200 quid, its 195 for the uprights, then 40 each for the hubs which afaik dont include bearings, (another 10 a side?)then add on raldes vat and delivery and youre talking about 370 quid!

Bob C

posted on 2/4/08 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Alistair
camber gain set by SAL of about 7ft.
yes it would have been sensible to use standard mx5 driveshafts.... but I shortened them to accomodate sierra diff + adapters (only 4.3:1 ratio available in mx5 diffs).
Weight of uprights I don't know, but unsprung weight of entire front corner (minus cycle wing) is about 25kg with my non-standard brakes.
Self centring is a bit too weedy still - I moved the upper chassis pivots back 10mm but it needs a bit more really. I'm used to it now (i.e. no problemo)
Bob

alistairolsen

posted on 2/4/08 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
SAL?

unsprung including mx5 14 inch wheel and tyre?

I wonder just how much castor you need to get self centring :S

Bob C

posted on 2/4/08 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
Swing axle length -
Caster - I have 10mm more than the Ron Champion book & it got through SVA, but ideally it should have a bit more - maybe another 10mm

airframefixer

posted on 3/4/08 at 02:32 AM Reply With Quote
direct fit upper ball joint is moog es2074r. no reaming required. thread is m16x1.5. I have drawings of pivot points if anyone is interested. rotor, a arms, upright, caliper weight is 28.5 lbs for my application.

Andrew

[Edited on 3/4/08 by airframefixer]

[Edited on 3/4/08 by airframefixer]

Andybarbet

posted on 3/4/08 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Did i read somewhere about a hyundai that used cortina running gear ? the stellar maybe ? i know where there has been a stellar in someones front garden for atleast 5 years, they would probably love someone to come and offer to take it away, north herts area ...
C10CoryM

posted on 4/4/08 at 02:56 AM Reply With Quote
Couple notes about the MX5 uprights.
- Large amount of KPI (SAI) 12degrees if I remember right.
- the lower balljoint and outer tie rod end come out at an angle (bottom of the BJoint is further out than top)

Neither are a big deal so long as you know about them. I've reamed mine uprights out to accept a different BJ but if you are making your own arms you don't need to. Pic here of the mx5 upright if it helps http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee22/C10corym/Locost/?action=view&current=nose007.jpg

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.