Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New guy, New project
I-man

posted on 19/12/07 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
New guy, New project

Hi everyone,

Let me introduce myself,.. I'm Ian, I live in the Netherlands and I'm building a self designed mid engine car that is emulating the old Auto Union Type C from 1938.
I call it the "Stagger". The chassis is laid out, tacked together and I have an effing big Audi 4.2 V8 engine on the garage floor waiting to be fitted in. I also have a few pics but I'm still trying to figure out how to reduce and up load them so I can show you all. (perhaps next week)
I’m much better at cars than computers.
Anyway, I have been reading this forum for a while now and thought it was time to get more involved. You guys have a lot of great ideas and I have learned a lot just reading the threads. I look forward to your input…

I-man

matt.c

posted on 19/12/07 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Dont know much about the mid engine stuff but HI anyway

twybrow

posted on 19/12/07 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like an interesting project! Good luck.

I was looking at your photos (too big to fully upload I think) - are your uprights aluminium? Doesn't look like much wall thickness to some of the holes...?

RazMan

posted on 19/12/07 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the mad-house I-man

I like the sound of your project - the 4.2 Audi V8 is what I intend to use on my next project. Are you using the original ecu or going for an aftermarket one?

It should be quite a beast if it's anything like this one.

Keep us up to date with pics PLEASE

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
caber

posted on 19/12/07 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
Way cool project!

What are you using for transmission?

Caber

I-man

posted on 19/12/07 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, I gotta do something about the pics. The uprights are alu and they are 20 mm thick on the front (with the hub) and 25 mm thick on the rear so there is plenty of meat for the bolts.
I-man

posted on 19/12/07 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
The gearbox is also Audi but I will have to change the final drive to accept the large diameter wheels and the ECU is standard Audi. The engine is an older 4 valve with about 300 hp standard..Thats pleaty for me. I expect the car to weight about 800kg...
pauldm

posted on 19/12/07 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
I have a worry about how those thin tyres are going to transfer 300HP of power to the road? Methinks yule (oops)
you'll wrap it around a tree soon after finishing. QUOTE (from http://www.ddavid.com/formula1/auto_c.htm <link>) Much has been written about the difficult handling characteristics of this car but its tremendous acceleration was undeniable. A driver could induce wheelspin at 150 mph! Methinks a Ford 2.8 litre Cologne V6 or Audi 80 V6 2.6L Engine
would be a more sensible option?
For resizing pictures download Irfanview. Its simple picture editing software when you don't want to boot up photoshop etc.
>here<

*** I want to die peacefully, in my sleep, like my grandfather,
not screaming, terrified, like his passengers.***

TheGecko

posted on 19/12/07 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
Should be a fun project. You may be interested in this (linky) - a similar project here is Australia using a Jag V12!

Dominic

Geoff011

posted on 20/12/07 at 04:22 AM Reply With Quote
Nice find Dominic. I thought the front end (suspension) looked a little strange, then I found it was Malcolm Oastler's car. He should know what he's doing!
t.j.

posted on 20/12/07 at 05:29 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Not that I'm building a middy, but nice to see that there are more ibuilders in the Netherlands.

There's a lot off info around here.
Welcome and happy building.

Please feel free to correct my bad English, i'm still learning. Your Dutch is awfull! :-)

TheGecko

posted on 20/12/07 at 05:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff011
Nice find Dominic. I thought the front end (suspension) looked a little strange, then I found it was Malcolm Oastler's car. He should know what he's doing!

G'day Geoff,

The timing was fortuitous because there was a wrap-up of Speed on Tweed in the latest issue of "Race"which I was reading last night. I just Googled for Malcolm Oastler and found the pics (and the fact that he used to be technical director of the Jag F1 team ).

Hope things are good with you and the Elise is treating you well I may even make some progress on the Mk2 version of my chassis this Xmas break (fingers crossed).

Dominic

I-man

posted on 20/12/07 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
I have new pics in my Archive but for some reason they won't attach to this post.. so just look there.
RazMan

posted on 20/12/07 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
I-man, If for any reason you want to swap the engine, I can be on the ferry within hours!

Audi V8 32 valve 300 HP
Audi V8 32 valve 300 HP

[Edited on 20-12-07 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 20/12/07 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by I-man
I have new pics in my Archive but for some reason they won't attach to this post.. so just look there.

If you hit the quote or try to edit this post you'll see the magic runes you need for picture.

upper and lower chassis rails
upper and lower chassis rails

Nice project BTW

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

designer

posted on 20/12/07 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
Why have you gone for curved side rails?
russbost

posted on 20/12/07 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
Like the project. Welcome to the forum. You have fairly similar bhp to the original, so if that could have skinny tyres you can to - although you may need to be able to drive as they did!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
speedyxjs

posted on 20/12/07 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
Welcome.
You have a very interesting project. I look forward to seeing it progress.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

I-man

posted on 20/12/07 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
Why have you gone for curved side rails?

If i made them Straight the car would look like brick with wheels

ettore bugatti

posted on 20/12/07 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
Goedemoggel!

That is just insane!

I just can't think where on earth you could use that thing.

Mighty fun, though.

dr-fastlane

posted on 20/12/07 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Hello Ian,

Welcome to the Locost Forum!. It’s nice to see more and more Dutch people finding there way to this really nice carbuilding community. I like the vintage style of machine that you are building, a project to follow.

Greets Roy (from the east of the Netherlands )

------------------------------
I have not failed once. I have successfully found ways that will not work!

https://www.motor-forum.nl/threads/hardtail-dragstyle-project.343482/

I-man

posted on 20/12/07 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the pleasant welcome everyone,
It's nice to know that there are so many like minded people out there to spur you on.
This project has been bruing for a couple of years now but due to moving and having to build the workshop last year the progress was slow. This year I had 3 major milestones (mijlpalen) 1.The engine in the workshop (check) 2. the chassis laid out and tacked up (almost there) and 3. the brakes and uprights machined up (Still waiting for the disk hats to be machined). I still have the x-mas holiday… 2 weeks to go .. I will let you know if I do it..
My plan for the car is to get it licensed for the road. First in the UK and then later import it to the Netherlands. It will have 2 seats although the passenger won’t have much room, it will be comfortable. The passenger seat will be offset or “Staggered” 40 mm behind the driver, Hence the name “Stagger”.. (hopefully I will never have to stagger home if I bent it..haha)
If any of you Dutch guys want to come and see it I live in the Eindhoven area. Just mail me..
(Oh and sorry Razman, This engine is mine!!)

t.j.

posted on 20/12/07 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
You got U2U

Please feel free to correct my bad English, i'm still learning. Your Dutch is awfull! :-)

akumabito

posted on 20/12/07 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Goeiemoggel! Nog een Nederlander hier..

...what's the plan for the bodywork? GRP, or -dare I ask?- handcrafted aluminium? *drool*

t.j.

posted on 20/12/07 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Thai-land is geen Neder-land!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.