Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Newbie Here With a New Build
RX007

posted on 24/3/08 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
Newbie Here With a New Build

Hello all, I just want to introduce my self, and a new project that I want to start. I heard this is a great forum for scratch builds which is what i want to do.

a basic over view of what i want is v12 power plant most likely the m70 with the Audi or Porsche transaxle. a full carbon unpainted body, an original body design which im working on not an artist though lol. a steel space frame probably a square tube instead of a round tube since it seems that would be easier to work with. not sure what kind of suspension setup, maybe you guys can point me in the right direction.

I have started the basic frame design on auto cad as you can see in the pics, i would really like some input from you guys especially on my frame.

thats all I can think of now, im looking forward to hearing your responses

Preston

joneh

posted on 24/3/08 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
I think the general consensus would be more triangulation over the verticle plain and make a model out of balsa wood first to see how it flexes and twists.

And welcome! (To the Madhouse)

RX007

posted on 24/3/08 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
your defenitly right, this is a very basic build just to give you an idea i still need to do the wind sheild and roll cage. thanx for the fast reply!

I actulay bought balsa wood the other day just wanted to refine my design on cad as much as posible so i don have to keep reoing it. also i bought some spry can foam called great stuff so i can make a 1/4 or 1/8 scale body since im not an artist

[Edited on 24/3/08 by RX007]

Kaspa

posted on 25/3/08 at 06:39 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Bloke , what sort of body shape , configuration etc are you looking at, i am in posesion of a full set of CAD drawings for the car in my Avatar, rear engined , was orig designed for a bent 8, so plenty of room, PM me if interested
Cheers Kaspa

understeer= when you hit the wall front first
oversteer=when you hit the wall back first
HP= how fast you hit the wall
Torque= how far the wall moves when you hit it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Fred W B

posted on 25/3/08 at 06:51 AM Reply With Quote
Welcome , very ambious project

Hard won best advice I can give is in a thread HERE

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 25/3/08 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
Welcome to Locost Builders!

I'm no expert but looks like it needs more triangulation in the central section (cockpit) perhaps use a central backbone as well?

Better to Burnout than to Fade Away JET METAL ~ AndySparrow ©

designer

posted on 25/3/08 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
Yes agree. Put a tunnel, however small down the centre line. It provides much needed torsional strength and is useful for passing tubes.wires/etc. through.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Doug68

posted on 25/3/08 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
I did a lot of structural analysis in my frame and completely failed to make the a tunnel do anything other than look pretty. So now its gone.

If anyones got the results on a mid engine design that proves otherwise I'd love to see it.

Doug. 1TG
Sports Car Builders WA

nasty-bob

posted on 25/3/08 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
Really the first thing you want to be doing is deciding on your suspension geometry and getting some basic models in there of the main components, and a ergonom/manikin. Afterall thats what a chassis is for, holding the suspension and other components rigidly in space.

Then you can see a lot more clearly what will work and what won't, and work out how you are going to support the various parts.

If you do nothing else, define your suspension geometry.

On the tunnel subject, these add a lot of rigidity to open top cars. If you have a cage then a tunnel wont add much. Then idea is to close up any open space, with a cage you've already done that. Mines open top so I have a tunnel but also because ergonomically I much prefer to have one.

Good luck with the project.

Rob

RX007

posted on 25/3/08 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you guys for all the tips, ill definetly reconsider designing the suspension first and then the chassis. i have a book on chassis engineering so hopefully that will give me some more insight.

the car will be caged so maybe i wont need a tunel, once i get some time on cad ill add the extra triangulation and the cage.

as for the body shape the only way i could describe it is imagine if you crossed a F-22 with a Pagani Zonda, i want her to have really sharp destink lines.

thanx for the thread fread very helpfull, ill post more pics when progress is done

goin2fast52

posted on 26/3/08 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Where does the engine go? It doesn't look like there's space for it, the transmission, and driveshafts to pass through the chassis.
RX007

posted on 26/3/08 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
ya i know what you mean, i dont have the dimensions of the engine so its kinda hard but i did find a website that had a free download in cad of a lamborghini chassis so ill proly use that since there is no sense in reinventing the wheel.

is there any one who sells adaptors for the m70 to transaxle? thanx

[Edited on 26/3/08 by RX007]

Kaspa

posted on 28/3/08 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
what about something like this

i have deleted the rear section on purpose, [cant give everything away] but it gives you an idea of what is required
cheers Kaspa

thomas4age

posted on 28/3/08 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Kaspa, you're short a few importand triangulation points on your chassis front suspension.

but I suppose you have these sorted.

Where the H*LL did you get the body work from? any kits availeble??? have a nice drive train standing around waiting to go into a car.

grtz Thomas

[Edited on 28/3/08 by thomas4age]

If Lucas made guns, Wars wouldn't start either.

v8kid

posted on 28/3/08 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the forum,

I guess the guys have mostly said it all but the one single thing I would look at is.............Budget.

You are looking at £30k if you are going to exploit all the potential benifits in an ambitious design.

I spent a heck of a lot more than I thought and got caught out a few times with ill considered decisions.

On a different note I used grape analysis on my modified standard chassis and found there was a benifit to keeping the tunnel but only when it was tied to the scuttle and the roll bar had a central vertical brace! Dont ask me why it just is.

You may also wish to consider the center of gravity location and the F/R balance at the outset.

Your choice of gearbox will push the engine to a high location - its designed for a limo with 8" ground clearance after all and also you probably will need dry somp lube with the g forces you should be getting.

All expencive stuff I'm afraid.

Cheers and happy building

David

Kaspa

posted on 28/3/08 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Thomas , mate with a torsional stiffness of 14000 ft lbs i dont think theres much missing, what is not shown in the cad drawing is the front bulkhead which fits behind pedal box and is a honey comb sheet, it is glued and rivited into place and becomes an important peice of the equation.
as for body , no we dont have one as yet ,just the plans to make one. wish me luck on that front.
cheers kaspa

designer

posted on 29/3/08 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
Where did you find a free download, in cad, of a lamborghini chassis

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.