Board logo

Gunson Trakrite
Mr Whippy - 17/9/23 at 01:28 PM

Here's a tool I really should have got ages ago. Have to say I'm delighted with it. I changed a lower balljoint on the Fiesta yesterday and as usual it knocks out the alignment, except this time I used this to reset it (was 2.5 degs out). Really simple to use, zero set up time and within 5 mins got the steering exactly right. Its so easy we tested four cars that evening with two needing some adjustment! Now has a space in the garage clean drawer for my best stuff

Highly recommend, got mine off Amazon for less than £60.

Description
Description

[Edited on 17/9/23 by Mr Whippy]

ianhurley20 - 17/9/23 at 09:17 PM

Fully agree with you, had mine for years. Only problem I have had is finding a flat area to do the test on, hillsides do skew results! ( My drive is on a hillside )

MikeR - 17/9/23 at 11:34 PM

Will that answers my query - over often wondered about them, but I also have a slope on my drive.

Mr Whippy - 18/9/23 at 06:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
Will that answers my query - over often wondered about them, but I also have a slope on my drive.

It not it would not work on a slope. Basically its a table that slides sideways if there is any force from the wheels to the side, that in turn moves a pointer. So if you were on a slope that would prevent the car even rolling in a straight line. You can just take it to any level bit of ground, car park etc and you need about 30 - 40ft of straight road to center the wheels before reading. Just make sure you have free'd the steering rod and lock nut first and it's not all rusted up!

[Edited on 18/9/23 by Mr Whippy]