Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New Owner... Teething troubles...
Sterillium

posted on 14/4/17 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
Ok... oily update.

Wheels off, still nothing new to see on the pads.

But the brake discs on the FRONT are D1009 and on the REAR are APEC DSK607.

This must help?

Sterillium

posted on 14/4/17 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
Ok... so a bit of research tells me that my front DSK607s are 253mm and my rear D1009s are 238mm.

So I am presuming that this translates to 260s on the front and 240s on the rear.

It must be painful for you chaps to watch me struggle like this.

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 14/4/17 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
If you post some pictures it may help
BenB

posted on 14/4/17 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
All I can say is keep at it. Non servo brakes do take some getting used to but once you have they're golden.... Your muscle memory adjusts and you can stop at will- you just stop expecting a gentle press to do anything significant but for subtle braking they're great.... As said that wiring looks horrendous. Just don't throw the towel in- you'll regret it for a long time. Trace those wires, get it sorted etc. Chocolate block it to begin with by all means but once it's working don't forget to spent the time with the soldering iron and the heatshrink to do it properly.
mcerd1

posted on 14/4/17 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sterillium 240s on the rear.

sierra's have 253mm solid discs on the rear as standard (non-cossie ones anyway)

if the rear discs are much smaller they could be one of the conversion kits to upgrade a drum braked rear axle to take discs - some of these use smaller discs off the front of fiesta's
(most of these kits still use the stock sierra caliper and pads at least)

photo's would help us a lot

[Edited on 14/4/2017 by mcerd1]

-

Sterillium

posted on 14/4/17 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
All I can say is keep at it. Non servo brakes do take some getting used to but once you have they're golden.... Your muscle memory adjusts and you can stop at will- you just stop expecting a gentle press to do anything significant but for subtle braking they're great.... As said that wiring looks horrendous. Just don't throw the towel in- you'll regret it for a long time. Trace those wires, get it sorted etc. Chocolate block it to begin with by all means but once it's working don't forget to spent the time with the soldering iron and the heatshrink to do it properly.

I'm going to get the brakes and pedals set up in a way that suits me I think - I was really happy with the way my TVRs were set up, so I'll just get the man with the spanners to put things in a way that I am more comfortable with.

As for the electrics, I'll get it looked over, definitely one for an auto electrician, not the sort of thing I have the skill or patience for!

To be honest, I don't mind if it's ugly behind the scenes, but I need the main beam to stop blowing the fuses every time I try to turn them on!!

Sterillium

posted on 14/4/17 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
sierra's have 253mm solid discs on the rear as standard (non-cossie ones anyway)

if the rear discs are much smaller they could be one of the conversion kits to upgrade a drum braked rear axle to take discs - some of these use smaller discs off the front of fiesta's
(most of these kits still use the stock sierra caliper and pads at least)

photo's would help us a lot

I've only got the front wheels off at present - so took a few photos.

Rear pads are definitely smaller... but look very new (hence all the clearly visible writing on them).

I can't believe I can't find the pads from all that info!

[img] [/img]

mcerd1

posted on 18/4/17 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
the trouble with trying to use the writing on the pads to ID them is every brand use a different system and cross referencing them all is just about impossible if you don't know the brand....

quote:
Originally posted by SterilliumI've only got the front wheels off at present - so took a few photos.

they could be either the 240mm or 260mm ones - are there any big numbers cast into the calipers ?

quote:
Originally posted by SterilliumRear pads are definitely smaller... but look very new (hence all the clearly visible writing on them).

as long as the calipers are sierra ones then there is only one type of pad - regardless of the disc its fitted over

-

Sterillium

posted on 18/7/17 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
Just as an update...

Fixed all the wiring issues, had the pedals re-positioned for my size 12 feet... had the brake system bled and brake balance set up by a professional... also had the Mintex pads fitted all round and the suspension set-up softer and more "road friendly"... then had a full service, a new distributor and a good polish.

It's actually awesome, I love it so much.

The ONLY thing I am still struggling with is the fact I can't drive it for more than around half an hour... I wish my mechanic could fix my knees up as well as he's fixed the Viento.

Still for sale, albeit with me trying relatively hard NOT to sell it, whilst my head and heart fight it out.

B33fy

posted on 2/9/17 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
Well done for sticking with it, well worth it. Mine took a while but I'd getting there now. A bit of ibuprofen works wonders for joint pain..
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.