Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bike powered Leugo locost
the moa

posted on 8/1/04 at 01:01 AM Reply With Quote
Bike powered Leugo locost

Hi there can any one help in making my dicision in chosing an engine.

Been looking at the bike engines and i like the idea of them but with not knowing much about them and having more knowledge availible about pintos crossflows i was swaying more towards them.

can anyone point in the right direction in reading up what info i would need if considering a bike engine e.g engine positioning weight balanceing etc, and whether or not it would be a problem being a live axle.

i have looked at various sites re the westfields but cant seem to get much info.

any help much appreiciated.

ChrisW

posted on 8/1/04 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
Certainly the live axle isn't a problem. Lots of people have done it, Jasper being the first that comes to mind and I suspect the Isonblade is live axle too. Don't know about the other questions tho. I'm sure Luego can help - give Grant a ring!

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cosworth

posted on 11/1/04 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
You will have no problems using a bike engine with a live axle. Position the engine so that the drive from the output flange on the engines lines up with the axle flange and as far back in the chassis as possible.
James

posted on 12/1/04 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cosworth
and as far back in the chassis as possible.

Actually, I'd be careful with putting it too far back.
Im pretty sure both Jasper and Jon Ison regretted putting the engine back as far as they did.
I have no dimensions to guide you though!

Moa,
If you're buying a Luego then do they do a car with Live Axle still?
Anyway, if you're buying a chassis then the manufacturer will supply you a cradle (assuming a common engine type) to fit the bike engine so you won't need to worry about positioning etc. will you?

HTH,

James

Findlay234

posted on 12/1/04 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
why do they regret putting it so far back?
Peteff

posted on 12/1/04 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Is it because they ended up sitting on it?. If it's a question of weight distribution I haven't heard anyone saying they have a problem.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

the moa

posted on 13/1/04 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
Hi there thanks for info i haven't yet spoke to Luego yet but will call them and see if i can get a better idea of costs and difficulty level.....

have been speaking to someone who currently has a kit with a car engine and is thinking of converting over the summer and he is getting a someone to help him with like a masters deagree in engineering and being that this is one our first projects im not sure whether would be do-able. So will wait and see what Luego say and go from there .

StuartA

posted on 14/1/04 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
As far as I know Luego do not make a cradle for any bike engines to go in the Live Axle chassis. This is exactly the build that we are attempting. We are due to have someone weld a cradle for us, hopefully in the very near future.

No problems with the dimensions, the bike engine (Fireblade) is much smaller than any equivalent car engine, so no problem with it fitting the chassis. We have put ours as far back as is practical, if you sit it too far forward you may have problems with exhaust fouling the chassis rails.

Jamesfear

posted on 17/1/04 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
there is one being made at luego right now. Give them a ring and they will help you.

spalding clubgti host

the moa

posted on 23/1/04 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
hi there,
decided to go for a pinto in the end, i was being a bit adventureous perhaps next year. thanks for all the help and advice.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.