Board logo

2012 regs
ernie - 8/12/11 at 05:58 PM

Bleeding brilliant!!
just bought new set of headlights, (driving lights) just to be told not needed in 2012

eddie99 - 8/12/11 at 05:59 PM

Dont get me started on the 750MC regs.... They've completely successfully screwed up Bikesports

Stott - 8/12/11 at 09:41 PM

Could be worse, night event regs changed a few years ago so you could only have 4 forward facing lamps cos of "light pollution" and all the boys had pods full of HIDs at about £700 a pop all in that they could no longer use.

Plus all the BMW e30s have 4 lamps as STD as they are separate units, but if you had an e36 or any other car with STD covered 1 piece headlamps you could also run spots.

Regs suck

MK9R - 8/12/11 at 11:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by eddie99
Dont get me started on the 750MC regs.... They've completely successfully screwed up Bikesports

What's happened then?

eddie99 - 8/12/11 at 11:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MK9R
quote:
Originally posted by eddie99

What's happened then?

Min Weight 50kg above what we were, we were aiming for another 30kg, so that'll be 80kg of weight somewhere to add in....

Oh and apparently we're not allowed to adjust any chassis or suspension pickup points, only as per original manufactures car. Therefore our car being entered next year will be our own new car

[Edited on 8/12/11 by eddie99]

MK9R - 8/12/11 at 11:30 PM

What's the reason for that then?

eddie99 - 8/12/11 at 11:33 PM

No Idea, im hoping to get an answer, And some other silly rules with engines, such as there is no room for a 1ltr tuned engine but you can do whatever you want with a busa... Meaning no room for a certain radical along the lines...

Oh and only 5 weekends with 10 races, 4 races at donny! Cant complain that donny isnt a great track however to have 40% of your championship at one place seems a bit much!

steveiow - 9/12/11 at 08:41 AM

As far as Locost are concerned, I think its a great improvement to the calendar. To have to travel from where I am is bad enough, but to do it to say, Cadwell, for one race is a mission. I love the double header race weekends. Means I may be able to fit in some sprints and autotests in between.

As for regs for Locost, allowing removal of all front lights is a good thing in my opinion. The other minor changes I need to look into more closely.

What I would like to see is the TV coverage back. I note from the minutes of committee as printed in the Bulletin that race fixtures were set taking into account the results of the driver survey, so be interesting to see what the entry fees will be and if they do include extra cost to cover the TV company, which was also questioned in the same survey.

procomp - 9/12/11 at 04:05 PM

Hi

The removal of the front lights from the Locosts has been talked about for the last 3-4 years. However don't get rid off them Ernie you may want to quickly refit them at some point such as a wet race meeting. That's why it's an option to remove them. Will however save many people having to replace them every other race due to stone damage.

Cheers Matt

steveiow - 9/12/11 at 04:11 PM

I presume its not an MSA requirement to run lights on the front in the rain, so if you arent fussed about running them, you could remove them permanently?

procomp - 9/12/11 at 04:47 PM

Hi

The MSA regulation that is referred to in the regs allows us to run without them permanently. But have been left as optional for those who wish to run with them in the wet or any conditions.

Cheers Matt

ernie - 9/12/11 at 04:59 PM

yes, I did think they were quite necessary at Cadwell

ShaunB - 9/12/11 at 06:30 PM

Mallory too, even when testing at Silverstone this year some cars just suddenly appeared out of the spray whereas the ones running lights were far easier to spot.

By good fortune I made my Locost headlight brackets removable earlier this year, each side is now held on by 4 bolts into rivnuts in the chassis tubes (the holes were already there as the previous owner had mounted the brackets with rivets).

Shaun.

pointy - 9/12/11 at 07:07 PM

Perhaps I'm on my own on this one but removing the lights and front indicators albeit optional is the start of turning the locost into a mini Caterham, I mean what will be the next change, slick tyres, a different cam, twin 40 carbs...then a different engine with an ECU, no, I'm afraid I am not happy about the change and the ethos of Locost is being slowly eroded.

Andy P

Halemini - 14/12/11 at 09:05 PM

Front suspension pick up to be located as per section 6 diagram 3 - which doesn't exist!! Can anyone explain?

Rgds Dc

modee - 14/12/11 at 09:15 PM

Halemini. The suspension pick-up diagram is on page 10 of the online regs. You need to turn the page (or your head) through 90 degrees to make sense of it. Maurice

Halemini - 14/12/11 at 09:28 PM

Thanks modee, On page 10 there is one diagram showing the rear suspension? Nothing else! Is my iPad playing up? Is it meant to be the same diagram as last year?

modee - 14/12/11 at 11:02 PM

Halemini. There should be 3 diagrams on page 10. Maurice

Halemini - 15/12/11 at 10:51 AM

I checked again this morning on a real computer and it's all there! So it was a technical problem - Apologies!

Thanks again

Dc

spoonana - 28/12/11 at 01:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by pointy
Perhaps I'm on my own on this one but removing the lights and front indicators albeit optional is the start of turning the locost into a mini Caterham, I mean what will be the next change, slick tyres, a different cam, twin 40 carbs...then a different engine with an ECU, no, I'm afraid I am not happy about the change and the ethos of Locost is being slowly eroded.

Andy P

I think the real ethos of locost is that it is LOW COST. I can understand the reason they are allowing you to remove the lights if they keep getting damaged, to lower costs. One day we will run out of xflow engines and a modern day replacement will have to be used.

What I don't understand is if you are allowed to remove your lights, why do they still have to be 5 3/4" if you decide to keep them on??

locost47 - 2/1/12 at 05:23 PM

do the rear indicators need to flash obviously if so whats the best way round this lights inside some were or side mounts

spoonana - 2/1/12 at 05:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by locost47
do the rear indicators need to flash obviously if so whats the best way round this lights inside some were or side mounts

I have them side mounted just above the arches.

ShaunB - 2/1/12 at 06:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by locost47

Hi Tim, I mailed the club earlier today to clarify whether they still need to flash at the correct speed, I'll let you know their response. If they say yes I can see 2 ways round it, add a suitable load to the front indicator wiring either wire a couple of indicator bulbs in or use equivalent resistors, alternatively swap the flasher relay for one that is not load sensitive.

Cheers,
Shaun.

steveiow - 2/1/12 at 06:14 PM

I love the 1:1 scale of your photo Max

locost47 - 2/1/12 at 06:52 PM

cheers shaun look forward to reply

spoonana - 2/1/12 at 07:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by steveiow
I love the 1:1 scale of your photo Max

Well I was worried you wouldn't see them

ernie - 3/1/12 at 12:15 PM

I emailed Alan Coller (the rep) for clarification on whether we could remove all rear lighting, except for rain & stop lights
Alan replied that the proposed regs have to be cleared by the MSA first.
All rear lights should remain at this stage.

With regard to indicator flash rates, in 7 seasons of racing, I have never been required by the scroots to show them working.
If so, the flash rate on my car would be as quick as I could flick the switch back & forth because I have no flasher module fitted

ShaunB - 3/1/12 at 01:58 PM

Reply from 750MC:

Indicators will not be part of the scrutineering checks, neither will hazard lights.

If headlights are fitted, they must be fully functional. (I had asked whether side/dipped/main all needed to be present, or was dipped sufficient as that is all I'd ever use in the rain).

The rain light must be independent from the side lights. (MOT requirement is that Fog light cannot be operated independant of side lights, so this is different).

Only the items mentioned can be removed – the others must remain in situ. (I asked whether we could remove horn - although I have actually used it to attract a marshal's attention to someone boiling over in front of me on a restart grid)

Shaun.

f750sgr - 22/1/12 at 07:04 PM

So could you remove the originally fitted air dams (5,3/4 headlights) and fit something less aerodynamically challenging? Not quite the LED rings that Mr Cassidy presented in 2010, but projector lights may aleiviate some of the concerns of driving in the rain.

steveiow - 22/1/12 at 07:09 PM

No idea, but mine are off but on a waterproof quick connector so can be added back on in less than 5 mins.

ShaunB - 22/1/12 at 10:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by f750sgr
So could you remove the originally fitted air dams (5,3/4 headlights) and fit something less aerodynamically challenging?

I don't think so. It's either headlights as per regs (5.75" ) or removed.

Shaun.

[Edited on 22/1/12 by ShaunB]

v832b - 6/2/12 at 08:28 PM

I still think this is a bad rule removing the head lights..... And dangerous in wet conditions...

eddie99 - 6/2/12 at 08:30 PM

Looking at it from another point of view, lights dont really matter. In a fair few championships you dont require any lights.... We run fine with only a rainlight.

v832b - 6/2/12 at 08:39 PM

Maybe, but is your racing as close as locost.....
I dooubt it.
Rain light fine for you coming up to the rear of someone, but how do I know someone getting close or diving up the inside when there lots of spray?

eddie99 - 6/2/12 at 08:41 PM

Ourselves probably arent quite as close but some of FFord is just as close and doesnt run any lights....