Board logo

Seat mounting query?
AdrianH - 28/2/17 at 03:37 PM

I am trying a fibreglass seat in my kit rather than the nice comfy padded ones I have!

Anyway typically the seat has M8 nuts bonded in the base and I need some spacers to allow fitting and movement of the seat rails. Rather than clamping up with metal directly against the base of the fibreglass, thinking some engineering plastic/nylon spacers bonded on the base of the seat with epoxy may be safer as it will stop metal cutting into and splitting the fibreglass.

Just wondering what others have done and if this seems to be sensible or not?

Adrian

anthony1 - 28/2/17 at 03:52 PM

I have Triton fibreglass seats in my MK INDY , the seat runners I fitted are bolted into the captive nuts in the bottom of the seat. They have been fine for a number of years . The only thing I did was to make sure that the runners sat flat on the seat base before they were bolted up. This required a little bit of sanding / filing of the underside of the seat. You could space the seat from the runner with some nylon / plastic washers perhaps. Interestingly , on the comfort side of things.....the fibreglass seats are the most comfortable out of our fleet of vehicles.......not sure how that works !!!!

AdrianH - 28/2/17 at 04:03 PM

Not sure who's make the seats are, I got them second hand from the forum.

The base is not completely flat, so my options are to either sand off as you have of mount with epoxy to even out the bumps a bit.

My original seats are modified Scenic centre rear seats so have about 4 inch foam in them as they are car seats, but narrow!

Looking for more sideways support, i.e to stop me using my knees against the tunnel and chassis.

I have a steel frame to go between the seat and existing mounting points, it also allows me to insert some spacers to raise the fibreglass seat a bit.

The plan is to try for a period of time and if I don't like them go back.

Adrian

furryeggs - 28/2/17 at 05:57 PM

With my fibreglass seats (2nds) the mounting holes weren't square with each other and didn't line up with the 2 mounting bars across the chassis. 1" wider on one side. I wanted to be sat as low as possible so i did away with the runners and made a couple of brackets from 5mm steel and 12.9 bolts to mount them directly to the floor. I would of had to modify the floor to use runners, 4 brackets in each corner did away with the need of sanding to level off the base to accept a runner, which wouldn't of been square anyway. Works a treat and they are pretty comfy with no padding.

AdrianH - 28/2/17 at 11:21 PM

I can not mount the seat directly to the floor, the seat area (bum area) is actually lower than the mounting points, so I need to have a frame under it.

I have done a bit more in the garage tonight on the frame and turned some thick nylon washers which I should have epoxied on tomorrow night.

May even get out in the kit this year!

Thanks all for your replies.

Adrian

[Edited on 1-3-17 by AdrianH]