Board logo

CVH move to Zetec
AdrianH - 6/9/16 at 01:10 PM

This for me is a slow on going task, whilst the CVH still works there is no real incentive.

I must admit the CVH has been reliable, recent replacement has been a throttle cable which I consider as good going.

The 105BHP clocked on the dyno is OK but as time goes on parts will become more and more in short demand, so there is a plan to finally get the 1.8 Zetec going.

So I am building a frame to run the engine, in that eventually it will support a radiator, battery and some rudimentary clocks.

One thing I have noticed is that many seem to move the alternator from the standard position on the CVH to the other side of the engine on the Zetec. As I wish to keep it all on the side side I have made a bracket to hold one of the small 40Amp lightweight ones and also form part of an engine mount, using the same four bolt holes and another three that go across the engine.

I have changed the water pump for an opposite direction one, pictures will arrive soon, just wondering if the was a down side to what I am doing?

Adrian

Jenko - 6/9/16 at 01:51 PM

Only real comment is regarding the swap.....The CVH will be a tad lighter than the 1.8 zetec, but unless the 1.8 is tuned I think you will be lucky to see more than an extra 20bhp....At which point it seems like a fair amount of work to do for such little gain.

Hate to say it, but with 2ltr Zetecs now at rock bottom prices, would it not be worth going for a black top 2ltr...with the right induction set up you will be looking at 150bhp, which is a big step up from the 1.6 cvh.

AdrianH - 6/9/16 at 03:44 PM

I run the 1.8 CVH and have a Silvertop Zetec again 1.8 sat there doing nothing.

I have cams to fit to it f I wish, trying to keep the Ford ECU running it, thanks to information from Big_Wasa.

All what I would call lo-cost.

Adrian

AdrianH - 6/9/16 at 06:10 PM

A few pictures

altbrk2
altbrk2

altbrk7s
altbrk7s

altbrk6s
altbrk6s

altbrk5s
altbrk5s