Board logo

Sleeving m12 to m10
jps - 2/12/18 at 03:16 PM

Has anyone done this - and what are the pitfalls/problems?

I would like to use a V8 landrover type rubber bush to mount my gearbox. The gearbox is threaded at m12, the bushes are m10...

I've seen these sorts of things are available: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/M6-to-M10-M8-to-M10-M10-to-M14-threaded-hollow-tube-adapter-inner-outer-threaded/32786689574.html so assume it's technically possible?

I'm trying to do this as compactly as possible - hence wanting to sleeve the m12 hole - rather than use a male/female threaded length of steel....

EDIT: Amended link to something that is *actually* m12 to m10...

[Edited on 2/12/18 by jps]

big_wasa - 2/12/18 at 04:04 PM

You can get inserts for m14 down to m10. M12 down to m10 on a 1.5mm pitch does not leave a lot of material.

I needed somthing similar for an Mt75 with land rover mount. I removed the alloy mount and bolted the rubber through a piece of steel plate then bolted it to the gearbox.

Bigboystoys - 2/12/18 at 05:37 PM

Can you not use a helicoil?

loggyboy - 3/12/18 at 11:43 AM

No chance of fabbing a bracket? 6mm plate with M12 hole to take a bolt to the box, then a m10 captive/welded nut on the bracket Should be fairly compact still.

[Edited on 3-12-18 by loggyboy]

SPYDER - 3/12/18 at 12:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Bigboystoys
Can you not use a helicoil?

No. The pitch is different for one thing.
If you really can't adapt using a bracket then the M12 thread needs drilling out to M14 tapping size then tapping to M14.
You can then use an insert for M14 to M10 as wasa suggests.
Or weld the hole up and drill and tap M10 directly.
Or choose a different mount.

mark chandler - 3/12/18 at 05:52 PM

Landrover are 7/16 whitworth from memory, they carried over lots of history, I do note you said landrover like mine you.

jps - 4/12/18 at 01:27 PM

Thanks guys - I was trying to go for a single bush under the gearbox - with a bracket running underneath going into m8 holes either side. There are m12 threaded bushes available - but depth and cost not ideal.

I think it's going to be easier to change the design of the bracket to something that uses a bush each side (an m8 bush is easier to source) and a bracket underneath to pick up the m12 mounting point.

daviep - 4/12/18 at 05:57 PM

If you post a picture / link to the item you would llike to use you may get some alternative suggestions.

Regards
Davie

obfripper - 4/12/18 at 08:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jps
Thanks guys - I was trying to go for a single bush under the gearbox - with a bracket running underneath going into m8 holes either side. There are m12 threaded bushes available - but depth and cost not ideal.

I think it's going to be easier to change the design of the bracket to something that uses a bush each side (an m8 bush is easier to source) and a bracket underneath to pick up the m12 mounting point.

I made a mount that uses arb link type rubber bushes either side of the gearbox, it takes up less room than the sierra mount and doesn't move around like the sierra one did under load.

Have a look here for a few pics:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m9eo8if8hlh1es6/AAAiSemOe5OiMFzkO1VuO_Oya?dl=0

Dave

jps - 5/12/18 at 11:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by obfripper

I made a mount that uses arb link type rubber bushes either side of the gearbox, it takes up less room than the sierra mount and doesn't move around like the sierra one did under load.

Have a look here for a few pics:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m9eo8if8hlh1es6/AAAiSemOe5OiMFzkO1VuO_Oya?dl=0

Dave

Thanks for the pics, that sort of arrangement is what I am now thinking to do.