Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: xflow optimum squish
Supergoose

posted on 29/4/12 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
xflow optimum squish

Could some one please tell me the optimum squish for a locost xflow, I'm used to working with bikes with much lighter rods/pistons but they rev much higher but I don’t know what you need to account for,for elasticity?

Please help as i want get the gasket and get racing!!!

snapper

posted on 30/4/12 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
Crossflow has chamber in piston and a flat head so squish is not relevant as pistons will be down the bore.
In a pinto squish is a minimum .75mm with .9 recomended for 8000 rpm
Basically you are building in a margin for rod growth and piston rock

[Edited on 30/4/12 by snapper]

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

mcerd1

posted on 30/4/12 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
a few more details about your engine spec / size might help...

is this a 750mc car ?

quote:
Originally posted by snapper
In a pinto squish is a minimum .75mm with .9 recomended for 8000 rpm
Basically you are building in a margin for rod growth and piston rock

yeah, I've got my pinto's pistons flush with the top of the block and a 1.0mm gasket - hope it works

[Edited on 30/4/2012 by mcerd1]

-

Supergoose

posted on 30/4/12 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry yes it's a locost and I don't agree with the comment that squish isn't relevant with a flat head, focusing the burn to the combustion chamber is key regardless of weather it's in the head or the piston
Richard Jenkins

posted on 30/4/12 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
This from the 750MC Locost regs - "Gasket: The cylinder head gasket must have a minimum compressed
thickness of 0.85mm and a minimum cylinder aperture of 82.5mm"

mcerd1

posted on 30/4/12 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Supergoose
Sorry yes it's a locost and I don't agree with the comment that squish isn't relevant with a flat head, focusing the burn to the combustion chamber is key regardless of weather it's in the head or the piston

I think snapper is just talking about piston / head contact, where as your thinking about compression ratio....

but like richard says there isn't alot of options if you've got too meet the 750MC Locost regs

-

Supergoose

posted on 30/4/12 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
not at all, surely the closer the non combustion areas of the piston are to the head the more accurate the burn is focused to in the comustion chamber and not seeping across the whole face of the piston. but maybe im understanding it properly?
Supergoose

posted on 30/4/12 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
true about the regs mind you
snapper

posted on 1/5/12 at 05:37 AM Reply With Quote
My comment about not being relevant should of perhaps said "not achievable" if you look closer at my post i also gave pinto squish distance.
You can't get that close with a flat head unless you have very deep piston bowls therefore the edge of the pistons will not be close enough to the head to create any squish, if the piston bowl edge was close enough there would be very little squish as not much of the piston is close enough.
The swish on a pinto is where the chamber, which has large flat areas and flat top piston get really close as said 0.75 to 0.9mm is the target.

How far down the bore are your pistons?
Standard 1600 pistons are further down than the 1300 pistons would be that are used to increase compression.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Supergoose

posted on 1/5/12 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Nearly flush
procomp

posted on 1/5/12 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

As mentioned there is the min compressed thickness for the gasket IE using a Payen or similar standard type gasket. Copper or similar reduced thickness ones are non compliance with the dimensions stated in the regulations. Piston not to protrude above block face. Piston dimensions as in bowl depth / dia and radius in the bottom off the bowl + valve cutout dimensions are all checked by the scrutineers and comparisons are made to standard parts with the correct dimensions.

Also the valves have to remain as STD. The scrutineers have pattern parts, as some have already tried to take the mick with that area of the regulations already.

Matt ( Locost drivers rep )

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.