Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Favoured race seat
gharris333

posted on 21/9/14 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Favoured race seat

Hi all,
What is the favoured race seat for the locost series? I'm thinking a full height 20 degree GRP seat, can anyone recommend one that is going to be strong in an accident and easy to fit. I've recently bought a second hand grp seat (only a tenner!) that only comes up to below the shoulder blades but I believe its a 30 degree recline and as such I'm going to have to raise it in the car to see over the dash - not ideal. It also doesn't have particularly strong mounts. Plus I want to use a hanns device and it would seem from shopping about that the 30 degree ones are much more expensive than the "clubman" 20 degree ones.

Ideally less than £160 for the seat.
Thanks, Graham

iank

posted on 21/9/14 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Foam and bin-bag I'd have said and much less and £160 but more work.
See http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=152517 (scroll down to steveiow's howto)

[Edited on 21/9/14 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

ernald

posted on 22/9/14 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
I have raced in the Locost series for the past 10 years.
this season, we have seen upper body injuries including broken ribs & collapsed lungs.

I have had some very severe front end shunts, which left me with just bruising and aches for some weeks.
It appears that the upper body injuries could have been caused by side shunts and the driver moving side to side in the seat and maybe the belts were not as tight as they could be.

I have fitted a Kirky seat available from Deamon Tweeks. Intermediate 20 degree type. you try for width size wearing race suite if possible. If you are a 750 club member 10% discount

[Edited on 22/9/14 by ernald]

ernald

posted on 22/9/14 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
Also check out the official Locost race facebook page. 750mc Locosters
gharris333

posted on 22/9/14 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies.

Regarding the foam seats, I would like friends and family to be able to have a go on track days but I do understand it would probably be best for myself.

Really interesting on the Kirkey seats. I can see the benefits of the seat but have also heard of difficulty in extracting drivers as the rib supports can bend and pinch the driver in the seat. How true this is, I don't know. I have already got a lightweight Kirkey seat that came with the car but the rib supports are far too high and from what I've seen on their website, I would need a custom made one as they seem to only make one height of rib for each width of seat . I have thought of getting the seat I have altered but am worried that might compromise the structure.

ernald

posted on 23/9/14 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
The seat (which I got 2nd hand) already had the rib supports cut back to allow greater arm movement
alfas

posted on 14/12/14 at 12:08 AM Reply With Quote
always kirkey!!!!
bart

posted on 14/12/14 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
kirkey

the kirkey seats are quite easy to modify
in fact I have just done one for my car
I almost took the underarm wings off .
I just jig sawed what I wanted . flattened the result with two hammers
then removed the trim from the cut off parts , straightened them and put them back on and tig welded them ( could be araldite )
picks are on my single seater post.

BE ALERT > BRITAIN NEEDS LERTS

alfas

posted on 15/12/14 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
easy fit, without any modifications in my locost racer:

[Edited on 15/12/14 by alfas]

alfas

posted on 15/12/14 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
and a much tighter fit in my westifled se, but sitll without any major mods:

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.