Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mappable replacement for MEMS ecu
pete28

posted on 14/7/11 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
Mappable replacement for MEMS ecu

hello all.
i'm new on here so please be gentle...
i have a car with a 1996 1.8 VVC K series in it that i'm about to supercharge. I was going to do a bit of a lash up and try and use the mems system, increase the fuel pressure, fool the map sensor and run a max of 4 psi. i have now come to my senses, i know i'll drive it like an idiot and it wont be long before the whole lot melts.
So my question to you all is, can you recommend a budget ish mappable ecu that's easy to set up and easy to find some one to map it?
all answers greatly appricated!

martylemoo

posted on 14/7/11 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
An Emerald will plug straight into the loom and there will be a base map available to get you up and running.

Dave Walker is the man to do the mapping once fitted.

mackei23b

posted on 14/7/11 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
Have a look at

http://www.zandf-tuning.co.uk/

They may be able to help....they can remap the mems

have a look on Blatchat.com and K series tuning and you'll see a few posts

Cheers

Ian

atspeed racing

posted on 14/7/11 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
omex all the way. not just because i sell it. i sell it because its the best out there for the money.. by a long way.

- colin.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
MikeRJ

posted on 14/7/11 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by atspeed racing
omex all the way. not just because i sell it. i sell it because its the best out there for the money.. by a long way.

- colin.

It might be a good system, but is it a budget one and will it plug straight into the K series engine loom? The Emerald is a very popular system for the K series for these reasons, and the fact the Dave Walker has so much experience with this engine.

atspeed racing

posted on 14/7/11 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
no it doesnt plug straight in but high quality ready assembled looms are available.

budget? its a £600 system that packs the punch of a £2000 one.. so in that perspective its extremely good value. with unrivalled customer back up from omex themselves.

people really underestimate the importance of engine management.. they will spend lots of time building an engine, making sure all is right.. then put a substandard management system on it.

thats a bit like having all your suspension set up then going and bolting a set of remoulds to it.

OPs question was "can you recommend a budget ish mappable ecu that's easy to set up and easy to find some one to map it? "

in my professional opinion the answer screams omex. out of all the systems i see (and ive seen plenty of god and bad ones), that fits the solution best.

- colin.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
BaileyPerformance

posted on 15/7/11 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by atspeed racing
no it doesnt plug straight in but high quality ready assembled looms are available.

budget? its a £600 system that packs the punch of a £2000 one.. so in that perspective its extremely good value. with unrivalled customer back up from omex themselves.

people really underestimate the importance of engine management.. they will spend lots of time building an engine, making sure all is right.. then put a substandard management system on it.

thats a bit like having all your suspension set up then going and bolting a set of remoulds to it.

OPs question was "can you recommend a budget ish mappable ecu that's easy to set up and easy to find some one to map it? "

in my professional opinion the answer screams omex. out of all the systems i see (and ive seen plenty of god and bad ones), that fits the solution best.

- colin.

Omex is fine, but the only real budget ECU is megasquirt. does the same job as omex but more flexible and cheaper. Also the tuner studio software for megasquirt is better then the omex map 3000 in my opinion.

But, is far as i'm aware there is not a PnP plug in for the factory loom, simple enough to wire in anyway.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR

posted on 15/7/11 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
Microsquirts come in at under 300 quid .... but you'd need to wire it to the mem's loom .... perhaps an adapter could be made.

(Note the microsquirt is a little limited compared to other ecu's - but you did say budget and that is probably the cheapest fully assembled programmable ecu)

rusty nuts

posted on 16/7/11 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
The older Emerald was made to plug directly onto the Rover ECU plug but I'm not sure about the latest Emerald . Try ringing Emerald and have a chat , they are always helpful 01953 889110.
matt_gsxr

posted on 16/7/11 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BaileyPerformance

Omex is fine, but the only real budget ECU is megasquirt. does the same job as omex but more flexible and cheaper. Also the tuner studio software for megasquirt is better then the omex map 3000 in my opinion.

But, is far as i'm aware there is not a PnP plug in for the factory loom, simple enough to wire in anyway.

If you want PnP then you could contact Phil ( http://www.extraefi.co.uk/ ) he doesn't list it on his site, but he is really good and making an adapter really wouldn't be difficult so you never know. The only problem is that once you get people doing stuff then the costs do start adding up.

Lots of options.

Matt

pete28

posted on 16/7/11 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
thanks for all the opinions, its been very interesting looking into the products.
I have to say that everyone recommended (z and f tuning, Extraefi, Omex and Emerald) have been extremely helpful and i have to say as newbie the response has been excellent. I managed to get an brilliant deal on an Emerald K6 system, a bit more than i wanted to spend but as someone pointed out, its somewhere to spend money wisely.
i'm sure i'll be back on with more questions later. thanks again!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.