Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Does anyone use Giff Gaff?
adrianreeve

posted on 30/12/11 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Does anyone use Giff Gaff?

Hi there, does anyone on the forum have any experience of Giff Gaff? It seems too good be true, but everything I read about it seems to full of praise! What's it like in terms of coverage and costs? I understand it uses O2, so coverage should be ok, but it looks like for £10 a month, I can get 600 cross network minutes, 600 texts and unlimited data useage - I pay O2 £36 a month for the same thing!

Thoughts please!

Cheers

Adrian

mads

posted on 30/12/11 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Rob (Wheels244) does and he was praising it yesterday on a different thread. It does seem to be really good alternative to the mainstream providers but as you pointed out, using O2's network.

We gain knowledge faster than we do wisdom!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

matt_gsxr

posted on 30/12/11 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
was recommended by someone at work and my wife uses it now. Very simple to use just have to buy additional vouchers on-line. Seems to be a good honest service.
Wheels244

posted on 30/12/11 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Adrian

I use it and its great - saved me a fortune !
It does use the O2 network.
For £10 a month I get 300 free minutes, unlimited texts and Internet, free GiffGaff to Giffgaff calls. No contract !!
Much better deal than I was getting from O2 - no brainer for me.

HTHs

Rob

philw

posted on 30/12/11 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, i use it no problems at all, i get the £10 goody bag, it gives me 250 minutes, 0800 numbers are free, unlimited texts and unlimited internet, i've been with them for a fair few months now, i used to be with orange and top up £20 a month but used to run out of credit about half way through the month, GiffGaff is the way forward linky

[Edited on [1325267227R0=053131p: by philw]

Must try harder

gdp66

posted on 30/12/11 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
I have put my son on giffgaff.
It not only runs on O2 , I believe it is a part of 02.
Check out companies house

http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/a3ad2b8ccf64e01ef964b65e5d59621b/wcframe?name=accessCompanyInfo

Can't beat the value.

Also, before you go and get a sim. I'm sure someone on here will get one for you and then you both get 5 pound credit I believe.

[Edited on 30/12/11 by gdp66]

[Edited on 30/12/11 by gdp66]

McLannahan

posted on 30/12/11 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
I'm also on it too. Not easy to tether with an iPhone to use the unlimited Internet but if that's not important or relevant...

Easy to do it with most other phones though and 500mb starts at £5, unlimited Internet a £10.

Tech support is forum based mainly but the responses are fast by other members. They get credit themselves for helping others so they're all pretty keen!

As GDP said, ask one of us for our GiffGaff username and we'll both get £5 of extra credit. My username is as the one on here!

I've been with them a good few months now for my work phone and it's been spot on. Few glitches but forum answered all my questions quickly and easily.

Cheers

martylemoo

posted on 30/12/11 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
I was paying o2 £35 a month for 600 mins, unlimited texts and data

Threatened to leave to go to GiffGaff and now I pay o2 £7.50 for the same service.

JoelP

posted on 31/12/11 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
What lots of people dont seem to realise is that when you take out a contract on a nice phone, the monthly cost is paying for that phone, but once you are out of contract you can drop the payments to much less, to just cover airtime. I actually heard a rumour that you can drop the payments after the first 12 months of a 24 month contract, but didnt look into it because mine is out of contract anyway. I just use a £5 phone with my pay monthly sim, cos they get battered at work.

However, if giff gaff can be used for tethering, then that is definately the way forward, cos i could then dump my data sim from the laptop.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

ChrisW

posted on 31/12/11 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
What lots of people dont seem to realise is that when you take out a contract on a nice phone, the monthly cost is paying for that phone, but once you are out of contract you can drop the payments to much less, to just cover airtime.

That is indeed true. My iPhone 4S costs me £15.50/month to run for that very reason, and there are cheaper options. That's a Vodafone deal as I wanted the sure signal box (which is also excellent).

I do have a giffgaff sim for my iPad but I've not got around to using it yet. Just goes to show how little I used the mobile Internet facility on it as my O2 sim has been deactivated for 3 months now and I've not missed it at all!

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
kipper

posted on 31/12/11 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
gifgaf?????????

I wish I Knew
what you young uns were talking about, it sounds soooo exciting??????????????
Denis the technophobe.........Happy new year

Where did that go?
<<<<

wilkingj

posted on 31/12/11 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
I've been looking at this for a while.

I pay £5.11 a month (was £5 when Vat was 15.5%) for 50 mins, 50 texts and 500Mb of Internet.
Trouble is I don't even use that much!

GifGaff looks a good deal, I just dont want to double my monthly outgoing for something I don't make full use of at the moment.

Heard good things about G/Gaf from my non LCB friends.

Just my 2d's worth.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 31/12/11 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
I've been using Giff Gaff for a while, and my wife and some other family members also moved to it recently. We have both saved a load of money since calls to other Giff Gaff users are free.

For a PAYG service the data costs are excellent (though used to be even better last year). Giff Gaff does not permit tethering however, though there are numerous requests on their forum asking them to provide a package to allow this.

McLannahan

posted on 31/12/11 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
I've been using Giff Gaff for a while, and my wife and some other family members also moved to it recently. We have both saved a load of money since calls to other Giff Gaff users are free.

For a PAYG service the data costs are excellent (though used to be even better last year). Giff Gaff does not permit tethering however, though there are numerous requests on their forum asking them to provide a package to allow this.

Mike, tethering is allowed, it's just not supported on the iPhone annoyingly.

http://giffgaff.com/goodybags/1GB-mobile-broadband

bigdrew

posted on 31/12/11 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
Another Giff gaff user here with no complaints. Have also converted a fair few people to it!

I brought a second hand HTC desire which was locked to 02 for not much money and put the sim in.

Seemed like the cheapest way into a decent phone. + I hate the idea of a 2 year contract..

v8kid

posted on 3/1/12 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
So will gift gaff work on an iphone3 previously on O2 without having to unlock it? Do I just put the sim card in and connect to iTunes to initialise it?

Cheers?

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

Wheels244

posted on 3/1/12 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, for the 1st bit - GiffGaff uses O2 network, it will even show as O2 on your phone.
I'm not sure about iTunes, the card should work ok without having to do anything with iTunes.

McLannahan

posted on 3/1/12 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, it'll work fine

Once you've inserted the sim card make sure you're on wireless. Open Safari on the iPhone and type in the address...

Invalid.name/giffgaff

Seems odd but it will work. This will prompt you to download all the settings for the iPhone to work properly on giffgaff ( mms settings, Internet settings etc..)

You won't need to go onto iTunes, not at least if your phone is up to date. You may want to use iTunes to update it to the latest OS first though.

v8kid

posted on 4/1/12 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
Excellent info thanks chaps I'm off to buy a goodybag!

Cheers1

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

MikeRJ

posted on 4/1/12 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by McLannahan
quote:

It's only supported if you buy a "Gigabag" which is a data only package. Tethering is not permitted via the standard voice+data packages.

McLannahan

posted on 4/1/12 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by McLannahan
quote:

It's only supported if you buy a "Gigabag" which is a data only package. Tethering is not permitted via the standard voice+data packages.

That's what I linked to Mike - the data bags...

Marcus

posted on 4/1/12 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
I've been with them for nearly a year now and top up a tenner a month for 250 mins, unlimited texts and internet. It's against the terms and conditions to tether using the phone. The gigabags are for iPads and the like, not sure if they will work with a phone. I've had no problems and the coverage is the usual o2 standard, pretty good round here. I regularly connect at over 4Gb...twice my broadband speed I also have a MiFi which is about to get unlocked and a giffgaff sim fitted. Can't rate them highly enough.

[Edited on 4/1/12 by Marcus]

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

McLannahan

posted on 5/1/12 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marcus
I've been with them for nearly a year now and top up a tenner a month for 250 mins, unlimited texts and internet. It's against the terms and conditions to tether using the phone. The gigabags are for iPads and the like, not sure if they will work with a phone. I've had no problems and the coverage is the usual o2 standard, pretty good round here. I regularly connect at over 4Gb...twice my broadband speed I also have a MiFi which is about to get unlocked and a giffgaff sim fitted. Can't rate them highly enough.

[Edited on 4/1/12 by Marcus]

I can confirm that the Gigabags DO work with the phone - I'm using one this month in my old iPhone.

v8kid

posted on 5/1/12 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
Just fantastic! Filled in website application yesterday, received sim today, up and working on an iphone 3 first try thanks to advice received here.

Now how do I get the missus released from her new iphone4s contract she signed last week and keep the phone

By the way the iphone (missus old one) is well over 4 years old and has never missed a beat - it just always worked. Kids have had umpteen unreliable lookalikes in the same period but have now all changed to iphones.

Cheers!

eddbaz

posted on 5/1/12 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
I use giffgaff no problems at all, just wondering about the tethering,it says it is not allowed on the goodybag that i have but is there any way they can tell if I tether off my phone?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.