Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hill climb & sprint driver equipment question
StevieB

posted on 21/8/12 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
Hill climb & sprint driver equipment question

Good morning all!

Can anyone tell me if a motorcycle helmet would be acceptable for use in hillclimbs/sprints?

I have an Arai bike helmet that I'd like to use but it obviously only has the accreditations for usem on the road and ACU Gold sticker for bike related use - would this pass muster for use in a car event?  I assume I would need to pay my £2 for the MSA sticker on it.

Also, can anyone point me in the direction of some decent value for money overalls too?

I'm hoping to get my first hillclimb in before the the end of this season - the car is all set up (as it was hillclimbed by the previous owner) so I just need to get myself sorted and then I'm ready to go

Cheers

Steve

maccmike

posted on 21/8/12 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
dont know but interested to know the answer
richardh

posted on 21/8/12 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
I got my autograss overalls from AWS
they are based in ashford, kent but have an ebay presence too
very reasonable i found too

Time for a change!

minitici

posted on 21/8/12 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
Only standards acceptable for MSA speed events are:
FIA 8860-2004
SNELL SA2010
SNELL SA2005
SNELL SA2000*
SNELL SAH2010
SFI Foundation 31.1A, 31.2A
BS 6658 Type AF/R**

* may be withdrawn with effect from 01/01/15
** may be withdrawn with effect from 01/01/16

Helmets also require the MSA sticker.

So - most bike helmets are NOT acceptable.

Overalls have to be:
FIA 8856-2000
or
FIA 1986 Standard

Approved flame retardant gloves have also to be worn.

cliftyhanger

posted on 21/8/12 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
http://mkracewear.co.uk/article/helmetregs as the msa site is down.

but check the regs of the series/events you intend entering, last thing you want is to be turned away.

wonderfulweasel

posted on 21/8/12 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately, I don't think you can use motorbike helmets for sprinting.

I got my overalls and helmet from Sparx a few years ago.
I think you need to have gloves now also.

I've not looked in the MSA blue book or sprinted for a couple of years, so hopefully my info isn't out of date.

loggyboy

posted on 21/8/12 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
IIRC there is a slight conflict, no motorcycle helmets meet the Snell/MSA/FIA standards, and no snell/MSA/FIA helmets meet road requirements!
Stupid really.

Mistral Motorsport

StevieB

posted on 21/8/12 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
Bugger, that puts the cost up quite a bit then - looks like I won't be doing any events this year after all

Bloody annoying too, as I would reckon most decent helmets would pass either test and recieve ACU and SNELL accreditation. But I guess you're stuck to only having the choice of what the manufacturer chooses to have tested and stamped on their product at the end of the day.

loggyboy

posted on 21/8/12 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
£150 snell helmets:

http://plays-kool.co.uk/

Mistral Motorsport

cliftyhanger

posted on 21/8/12 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
cheaper if you get snell 2005, think they are ok for a good few more years
loggyboy

posted on 21/8/12 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
cheaper if you get snell 2005, think they are ok for a good few more years

You need a MASSIVE head unfortunately!

Mistral Motorsport

jeffw

posted on 21/8/12 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
Remember that Motorsport helmets are fire-resistant/proof and have a different visor aperture to bike lids.

kjouk

posted on 21/8/12 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
Try a wanted on WSCC, enough sprinters/hillclimbers on there that you might turn up lucky.
ali f27

posted on 21/8/12 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Hi try playskool probs cheapest you will find you need nomex helmet suit and gloves snell 2005 where were you thinking of going first
JimSpencer

posted on 21/8/12 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

As mentioned above the Bike helmet's a none starter - playskool offer a good product at a good price, alternativly as mentioned a loaner isn't a bad plan, but don't buy secondhand unless you, or somebody you know, really trusts the seller.

However Ebay for race suits is fine - Must be Nomex FIA 1986/2000 commonest, as you can see the wear and tear on a suit - some good deals to be done, likewise for nomex gloves which are also required.

Boots, underwear etc don't need to be fireproof, so use what you feel comfortable with - though would recommend kart boots as a minimum.

However - and it's the big point:-

Anything you buy now will be Ok for next season - so go out, get it bought and get out there doing it!

After all by the time next season starts you'll have forgotten about buying the above and it'll give you more dosh for next season - and the winter upgrade list of course!

StevieB

posted on 21/8/12 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ali f27
Hi try playskool probs cheapest you will find you need nomex helmet suit and gloves snell 2005 where were you thinking of going first

3 events appeal to me, depending on how it falls in the calendar for me (and in no small way that they're all pretty much on my doorstep) - Olivers Mount, Harewood or Elvington.

Elvington would maybe be best for a beginner as there's plenty of room to make mistakes (unless you're in a 300mph dragster, of course).

Harewood and Olivers Mount look a little less forgiving for any off track excursions

I've been to Elvington on a track day and watched my mate sprint his motorbikes both there and at Olivers Mount plenty times.

I'm going to have a run out to watch at Harewood this weekend to see what it's all about and ask some questions around the paddock.

ali f27

posted on 21/8/12 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Hi dont know about elvington or olivers mount but you wont be able to run in the road class at harewood
StevieB

posted on 21/8/12 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JimSpencer

However Ebay for race suits is fine - Must be Nomex FIA 1986/2000 commonest, as you can see the wear and tear on a suit - some good deals to be done, likewise for nomex gloves which are also required.

I thought you could have a proban suit for speed events?

I knew motorsport was expensive, but even getting to the start line is impossible

StevieB

posted on 21/8/12 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Hi dont know about elvington or olivers mount but you wont be able to run in the road class at harewood

I reckoned on it being in class 3F at Harewood, but my local championship is the Auto66 and they are a bit more relaxed about such things from what I've seen (that's the series my mate runs his bikes in so I've spent plenty time around the paddock looking at the various machines).

The only thing I'm missing is the screen, so if entering local series in a relevant class becomes difficult with the aeroscreen, I'll just have to fit one in a manner that's interchangeable. Being a Westy, it should be fairly straight forward to get the parts and fit them as it'll be an off the shelf kit.*

Of course, I'm only running a CVH of twin 40 webers, so to make up for the screen I'd naturally have to fit something a bit more suitable (currently thinking Zetec for ease of engine swap). And, if the screen doesn't get fitted, I will find another excuse to do the engine swap instead

*This statement may later be considered as 'famous last words'.

ali f27

posted on 21/8/12 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
absolutly on your side so dont want to be negative but looks like your roll frame wont pass for 3f you would be in 3g at harewood as cut off piont is 1.7 my last event this year is the double header at harewood 22 23 sept could lend you some kit if the event you pick is after that my girlfriend comes from york so often down your way
StevieB

posted on 21/8/12 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
absolutly on your side so dont want to be negative but looks like your roll frame wont pass for 3f you would be in 3g at harewood as cut off piont is 1.7 my last event this year is the double header at harewood 22 23 sept could lend you some kit if the event you pick is after that my girlfriend comes from york so often down your way

That's a kind offer and one I may take you up on if I don't get sorted somehow.

My engine is a 1600 CHV by the way, so should still fit into 3F capacity wise.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what class they put me in - the important thing is to get round the course against the clock a few times and try to beat my own times. If they put me in a class of fast things and I'm not last, then that'll be a big victory in itself!

ali f27

posted on 21/8/12 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
dont get me wrong i enjoy it win or not we have race car and road cars ,prob i have with my road car is same as yours you need blue book roll frame and race logbook for 3 e.f g and windscreen for 2 f.g etc may be ok with auto66 but bloody hard work with harewood
jeffw

posted on 21/8/12 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StevieB
quote:
Originally posted by JimSpencer

I thought you could have a proban suit for speed events?

I knew motorsport was expensive, but even getting to the start line is impossible

Not anymore. You need a suit to

FIA 8856-2000
FIA 1986 Standard

Helmet needs to be

FIA 8860-2004.
SNELL SA2010.
SNELL SA2005.
SNELL SA2000*.
SNELL SAH2010.
SFI Foundation 31.1A, 31.2A.
BS 6658 Type A/FR**.
*May be withdrawn with effect from 01/01/15.
**May be withdrawn with effect from 01/01/16.

And gloves to FIA standard as well. No boots or underwear/balaclava required in road-going or HANS but it will almost certainly come at some point.

beaver34

posted on 21/8/12 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
I got a v2 sport lid is good and cheap,

I'm also wanting to start sprinting and hilclimbs next year so wil
Keep an eye out on this thread

ali f27

posted on 21/8/12 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Hi beaver very friendly form of motorsport get copy of blue book harewood is run spot on and is one of the best venues great challange but a bit funny on thier local rules all depends on how you built you car in the first place what have you got engine etc aero screen screen etc
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.