Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Blackbird Cooling system advice
T66

posted on 7/9/13 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Blackbird Cooling system advice

Afternoon...

I have been busy at the coolant pipe runs, to summarize

front mounted radiator with its own air bleed, the EWP pump is fitted in the bottom hose, leading to another bleed option at the high point on the n/s front wheelarch, then into a 32mm truflex run down the n/s sill. From memory i think I have to remove the Honda water pump blades, before the cooled water goes into the oem pump housing.

From the thermostat is a 30mm outlet and a 8mm bleed pipe outlet which originally went back to the radiator on the bike. I intend to pipe from the thermostat to the bottom of the header tank?

then from the top outlet of the header, plumb into the o/s truflex pipe run, for the return to the radiator, there's another bleed option ontop of the o/s wheelarch before going back into the rad.

1) Can I run the 8mm bleed pipe into the top of the header bottle ? or blank it off ?

2) Am I correct in plumbing the thermostat outlet to the bottom of the header tank ?

Any feedback is welcome, thanks

[Edited on 7/9/13 by T66]

renetom

posted on 7/9/13 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
This works great on our Indy R1 however hard you drive it.

Waterworks R1 Indy
Waterworks R1 Indy

Good luck
René

T66

posted on 8/9/13 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Rene - any other suggestions chaps.

40inches

posted on 8/9/13 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
This works perfectly on the ZX9R, kept water temp at 90degrees in traffic, 80degree on the move, with a 30degree ambient.
Description
Description

T66

posted on 8/9/13 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
That's the one. I can visualise that working within what I have done so far.

Thanks.

[Edited on 8/9/13 by T66]

T66

posted on 14/9/13 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
Morning - rather than create another thread, with the header tank/pot I have used, the coolant leaves the thermostat housing and feeds into the tank from the base, up through the tank then down back along the sill to the radiator. see above pic...

The air bleed on the stat housing is now piped onto the bleed under the tank cap.

Question is - Should the thermostat outlet route to the top of the tank or does it not matter, its ended up this way as the pipe runs looked neater, and I couldnt personally see what difference it made.

And finally - the water pump silicone hoses and joiners are going to be close to the exhaust manifold (wrapped), would you recommend any additional wrap for them >?

cheers

BigMac

posted on 17/3/15 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
This works perfectly on the ZX9R, kept water temp at 90degrees in traffic, 80degree on the move, with a 30degree ambient.
Description
Description

Hi Gents

Rather than create a new thread, I figured I'd piggy back off this one as it already has some great stuff in it.

If the OP of the above quote is still around... I'm just looking at the cooling setup on my 2007 ZX10-R, it's pretty much the same as yours. One question- have/did you blank off the radiator overflow (if you're using a Polo style rad), or did you tee it into the pipe that connects from the bleed on the 'stat housing to the reservoir?

I currently have it blanked off, but flicking through the Westfield build manual it shows the latter mentioned setup... That got me thinking whether mine's setup properly!

Cheers all for the advice,

Ben.

CosKev3

posted on 18/3/15 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
Deffo better having that rad bleed pipe connected into the system, as you can get big air locks in rads.
britishtrident

posted on 18/3/15 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
Yes bleed pipes from the top of the rad or from the top of the engine go into the top of header/expansion tanks.
Also you can T bleed hoses together.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

40inches

posted on 18/3/15 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigMac
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
Description
Description

Hi Gents

Rather than create a new thread, I figured I'd piggy back off this one as it already has some great stuff in it.

If the OP of the above quote is still around... I'm just looking at the cooling setup on my 2007 ZX10-R, it's pretty much the same as yours. One question- have/did you blank off the radiator overflow (if you're using a Polo style rad), or did you tee it into the pipe that connects from the bleed on the 'stat housing to the reservoir?

I currently have it blanked off, but flicking through the Westfield build manual it shows the latter mentioned setup... That got me thinking whether mine's setup properly!

Cheers all for the advice,

Ben.

I did around 3000 miles plumbed in as the diagram, temps always stable whatever the ambient temp.
I used a Clio rad, no rad bleed connection just a bleed screw, no problems.

BigMac

posted on 18/3/15 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks gents for the replies- I figured as much.

With the engine having a bleed at the very top of the 'stat housing, it obviously has a way of releasing any air locks; the radiator has the same capability, but blanking that off means any air pockets above the top hose will remain there unless I bleed it, then replace the blanking cap. As such I'll T the two air bleeds together into the top of the reservoir.

Overall it'll look like so:

2006 D6F ZX10-R Cooling Route
2006 D6F ZX10-R Cooling Route

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.