Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I passed my DAS bike test!!
bi22le

posted on 9/12/16 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
I passed my DAS bike test!!

I know there are some bikers on here that would appreciate this.

Im over the moon, its not a quick or cheap thing these days. Zero to hero has cost me about 650 and 3 months effort.

Bike theory test
CBT
2 days training
mod1 test
Mod2 test

I passed my mod2 today with NO FAULTS!! Mega chuffed.

I am a bike commuter and may do some summer sunday morning rides with some friends but it's a means to cut down my commute time really.

I currently have a YBR125 which I have been using for 2 months but I will now be upgrading to a ER6F some time over the winter.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Rod Ends

posted on 9/12/16 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Congratulations!

Suicide Club
Suicide Club

spiderman

posted on 9/12/16 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Well done,
It's much harder to pass now than back in the 1970's, should have done it then.
Brother has just done it last Summer, my turn next summer, can't have him beating me on automotive achievments.

Spider

r1_pete

posted on 9/12/16 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Well done...

Yes it is much more difficult now, I did mine in the 70's was little mote than a ride round the block, with the examiner watching from a couple of corners..

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Charlie_Zetec

posted on 9/12/16 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Congratulations! I bought myself a CBR600 a little over three years ago (I had a "turning 30" meltdown), and forced myself to do the DAS. Same circumstances; theory, CBT, 2 days training, the MOD1 and MOD2 tests [on an ER6-N, of all bikes]. Passed all with flying colours, but boy did I feel the pressure! What made it worse is that the tester invited me into the office after my MOD2 test, and told me he had some upsetting news.... that when returning to the test centre, I had parked the bike in his space. But I passed. Massive relief!

3 years later, and I've enjoyed a year of riding my KTM Superduke after upgrading.

Happy (safe) riding!

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

NigeEss

posted on 9/12/16 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Congratuations. I'm sooooo glad I did mine before all the sh1t you now have.
I did mine just after they introduced the tester following.

Currently have a ZX9r with a flat bar conversion.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

tegwin

posted on 9/12/16 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
I've been contemplating doing this too! How much did it all cost?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 9/12/16 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
Think mine came in at about £750-800 all in. Most places will offer you a feee CBT if you book the whole DAS course (Direct Access Scheme) through them.

bi22le

posted on 9/12/16 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
I've been contemplating doing this too! How much did it all cost?

As per my OP it has cost 650 total. To break down my total bike expenditure to dste.

40 quid theory test

599 for a 5 day course which was CBT, 2 days training and 2 tests ( with trading before and after mod 1). This seems the going rate, nation wide

850 to kit me out in clothing

1500 for a YBR to practice on.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

mark chandler

posted on 9/12/16 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Passed mine 13 years ago, it was a very enjoyable holiday!

Vrf400, then fireblade then red mist took over so got rid before I hurt myself

I tried commuting for a bit, brave man to do that so ended up as a fun weekend/evening ride out hobby which was great.

Get good protective gear, be careful and enjoy

Adamirish

posted on 9/12/16 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Congratulations mate! Nice feeling isn't it?

I was lucky enough to pass my test before all this mod 1/mod 2 stuff.

I was similar to mark above, started riding like a knob so took up trackdays. That got expensive and riding on the road was not much fun any more. Couple that with arthritis and owning an R6 meant it had to go.

I do have the horn to get another bike now though!

Be safe out there and don't do anything silly would be my only piece of advice. A friend of mine passed his test, bought an R6 and ended up in hospital within 2 weeks as he thought he was Valentino Rossi. Well, that was when Rossi was actually winning something!

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

bi22le

posted on 9/12/16 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie_Zetec
Congratulations! I bought myself a CBR600 a little over three years ago (I had a "turning 30" meltdown), and forced myself to do the DAS. Same circumstances; theory, CBT, 2 days training, the MOD1 and MOD2 tests [on an ER6-N, of all bikes]. Passed all with flying colours, but boy did I feel the pressure! What made it worse is that the tester invited me into the office after my MOD2 test, and told me he had some upsetting news.... that when returning to the test centre, I had parked the bike in his space. But I passed. Massive relief!

3 years later, and I've enjoyed a year of riding my KTM Superduke after upgrading.

Happy (safe) riding!

What was the ER6N like to ride?

mark chandler

posted on 9/12/16 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
ER6 was the training 600cc bike that the school had, my choice for a straight commute bike would be a 600 bandit As more fun + nice and smooth.

Sports bikes are rubbish in town, heavy and unwieldy however once the wind picks you up so you stop carrying your weight on the bars they are great fun, inverse for commuter bikes that make you sit up like a big sail.

What sort of riding are you looking at, if barrelling around bypasses and motorways then I would definitely go for a sports bike, for town work although a commuter bike is sensible a big trials style bike will rip through the traffic and should not be overlooked

SJ

posted on 9/12/16 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
I did my test on a 125 and then rode a sub 33bhp 250 until I was allowed to ride anything. I failed the 125 test first time for going too slow.

I gave up on bikes when my second child came along and built the MK instead.

Still miss my yellow '77 CJ250T.

Nickp

posted on 9/12/16 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
Biking is awesome! Passed my test late 90's and had 7-8yrs of pretty serious riding. Jumped straight on a 600cc sports bikes and a year later was on a 1000cc V-twin (best road bikes IMHO). Did European trips as far as Slovenia, taking in Alps, Stelvio etc, just awesome!! Did trackdays and laps of the 'Ring. Couldn't imagine ever not riding for the majority of those years.
Then my son arrived, which was also awesome, but I had less free time. I began to realise what a selfish pastime it is but still intended to ride on when I could. Next trip to Scotland, following a very experienced mate with his new girlfriend (of 3wks!!) as pillion, they went down mid corner. I was basically riding towards them as they slid down the road wondering how much grip I had and if I could turn enough to avoid killing them. I did miss them but the lad behind came off too and narrowly avoided taking them out as they slid off the road and nearly into Loch Fyne. The couple are still together 11yrs later but after breaking her back that day her life changed forever. I didn't stop riding that day but my heart was no longer in it and both my 1000cc bikes were sold over the next year.
Sorry for the biking reality check but just be careful out there and ride defensively as it's usually not your mistake that cause the accident.

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 9/12/16 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie_Zetec

Happy (safe) riding!

What was the ER6N like to ride?

The ER6N was a great learner bike - sat upright, good balance, plenty of movement on the steering, yet just enough power to have some (learner) fun with! But don't have any aspirations about taking on R1's etc. at the lights. The bikes were relatively new when I was learning, so can't comment on longevity after a few less-than-careful owners/riders! As with all bikes, good maintenance will definitely prolong its life though.

I did the usual when I passed and wanted something sporty with full farings, but restrained myself to a modest Honda CBR600 F(X); more power than I was used to, but still gave the sporty feel without the full frog-squat position. That, and being a sports-tourer, it didn't look too silly with a seat bag or panniers when I went away for the weekend.

But I then got middle-aged and fancied less leaning over the tank and more upright riding again; so got the KTM Superduke 990. Similar in style to the ER6N (in terms of upright seating, big steering bars, and no faring), it's just a different kettle of fish being a power monster with a big v-twin. Fine at lower speeds, but you can feel the wind push back as you go faster....

All in all, horses for causes when it comes to choosing a suitable bike. That and size/weight of the rider, of course!

mark chandler

posted on 10/12/16 at 04:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nickp
Biking is awesome! Passed my test late 90's and had 7-8yrs of pretty serious riding. Jumped straight on a 600cc sports bikes and a year later was on a 1000cc V-twin (best road bikes IMHO). Did European trips as far as Slovenia, taking in Alps, Stelvio etc, just awesome!! Did trackdays and laps of the 'Ring. Couldn't imagine ever not riding for the majority of those years.
Then my son arrived, which was also awesome, but I had less free time. I began to realise what a selfish pastime it is but still intended to ride on when I could. Next trip to Scotland, following a very experienced mate with his new girlfriend (of 3wks!!) as pillion, they went down mid corner. I was basically riding towards them as they slid down the road wondering how much grip I had and if I could turn enough to avoid killing them. I did miss them but the lad behind came off too and narrowly avoided taking them out as they slid off the road and nearly into Loch Fyne. The couple are still together 11yrs later but after breaking her back that day her life changed forever. I didn't stop riding that day but my heart was no longer in it and both my 1000cc bikes were sold over the next year.
Sorry for the biking reality check but just be careful out there and ride defensively as it's usually not your mistake that cause the accident.

I got rid after a trip to watching my mate fall off in front of me as well.

Unspoken rule, never ever take your other half out on the back if you have children, they could end up orphans.

AdrianH

posted on 10/12/16 at 06:32 AM Reply With Quote
I salute you all for getting to the point of taking your bike tests now and I really wish you safe riding on them, like many others I did not take my bike test at 17 and went to cars instead. I tried bikes again a bot later to get knocked off a Honda C90 by a hit and run a few years later.

Roll on lots of ytears to me being 55 and sod it lets get it done, bought a 125 to repair do up and practice with, did CBT and started to ride and try and get confidence on the bike again.

But, evn with headlight on, white helmet and a High vis jacket the number of cars that pulled from car parks, side streets, or what ever I just decided to say sod it and sold the bike on. So be you a weekend warier, a suicide jockey or a daily commute, I salute your nerve and wish you safe riding, I think every car driver, male or female should be made to spend time riding around for a week on a motorbike, just to realise what it is like when some dum car driver does not notice.

By the way there are some real suicide jockeys on motorbikes as well and you do wonder how they survive.

Adrian

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

robinj66

posted on 10/12/16 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
Well Done ! A great achievement.

I did the DAS in 2000 . I seem to recall it cost about £700 then so price has remained constant.

In those days it was the ER-5 used for training and I bought one after passing. It was good to ride around on the bike that I did my training on.
once I thought I'd "mastered" that I bought a ZX6R. Massive power difference and a whole new learning curve.

Still got it but only use it very occasionally as I now have children etc. I did use it to regularly drive into London and found it was comfortable for me but you do have to treat every other road user as a potentially homicidal idiot to stay safe.

Whatever you choose to do next , enjoy yourself.

And stay safe

TKPM

posted on 10/12/16 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Congratulations,
bi22le

posted on 10/12/16 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all for the well wishes.

Bikes are dangerous and I don't quite know how I will react after my first accident.

I am definitely not a fast rider, I don't even drive fast so I hope that makes me a little safer. My main commute is dual carriageway, either empty or heavy traffic.

I want a sports tourer for this as it seems to offer a good mix.

ragindave

posted on 10/12/16 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
[Edited on 10/12/16 by ragindave]
David Jenkins

posted on 10/12/16 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
I used to be a keen biker, commuting 400 miles/week into London. Circumstances led to me giving it up (more money, so could afford the train), plus I'd I'd had a number of 'incidents' that took all the fun out of it.

Even now, after 30-odd years, I occasionally think that having another bike would be fun... then I look at how bad some drivers are when I go out in my car and then decide to give it a miss. Also, I'm not sure my skill levels are what they were and I would probably end up stuffing it into a hedge... or a wall... or another car. Saying that, my 70-year-old brother still rides a Fireblade around Scotland - and he's not a slow rider.

ChrisW

posted on 10/12/16 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
I know there are some bikers on here that would appreciate this.

Im over the moon, its not a quick or cheap thing these days. Zero to hero has cost me about 650 and 3 months effort.

I currently have a YBR125 which I have been using for 2 months but I will now be upgrading to a ER6F some time over the winter.

Congrats! I passed about 18 months ago; should have done it years ago!

I went the YBR125 route too. Bought a non-runner, MOT expired bike for about £300 iirc. Cost me £100 to get it running and through an MOT. I did just over 1000 miles on it and sold it for £700 so was quite happy with that. Think I paid £500 for a two day course and the two tests so all in all, including the theory and CBT, I'd estimate it cost me about £350 to get the license.

Of course all of that budgeting goes out the window when you buy your first 'big bike'!

One thing I would say about the ER6 is that it is probably fine for commuting, but for Sunday rides I would suggest you may get bored of it quite quickly. They go ok, and it will feel like a rocket after the 125, but they are not exactly 'quick' as bikes go. Fine if you are just filtering through traffic but on a back road blast it won't be long before you are holding it at wide open throttle trying to keep up. I would suggest buying it with the view that you will want to change it within a year.

I went for the Yamaha MT-09 in the end, although I was very tempted by a Triumph Street Triple. It's still not the fastest bike out there by a long way but at nearly twice the BHP of the ER6 it will keep you entertained a lot longer. For the non-bikers, the Yamaha is an 850cc triple with 115bhp vs the ER6 which is a 650cc twin with about 65bhp.

*I chose the MT-09 over the street triple because the shape of the tank on the Triumph is a bit restrictive if you have long legs, as I have. I would probably have got used to it, but as a first bike I didn't want to take that risk.

I've also got a Kawasaki Vulcan S which is basically the ER6 engine in a bobber-style frame. It's ok in that style of bike - a bobber isn't really about speed - but as above, if I'm out with a group of mates and we come across a straight bit of road I have to wring it's neck to keep up.

Also the build quality is a lot better on the Yamaha. Not that I'm saying the Kawasaki is a built badly - far from it - it's just that side by side the Yamaha feels better.

Anyway, congrats again. I'm sure you enjoy every minute of it!

Cheers, Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big_wasa

posted on 10/12/16 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Earlier this year I treated myself to one of the last 2t scoots.

I don't know if I dare go for another "big" bike. But I did ride like a tit.

Watch out for the other knobs.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.