Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Building a kit in single garage
Nathsx

posted on 10/5/17 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
Building a kit in single garage

Good day all,

Im currently trying to weigh up the pros and cons of building a kit rather than buying.

After finances,space seems to be the next big limitation, Im just looking to find out what experience you guys have had of building in a single garage.

Ive measured my space as 4400mm long by 2250mm wide of free workable space. I am looking to build a MNR or MK indy in the garage if its not going to be a complete ball ache.

The MNR vortx size from 2006
Length ( nose to tail ) 3400 mm
width rear - 1720mm 8 inch rims
width front - 1640mm 8 inch rims
Height 1330mm ( super - tall - lanky b**tard roll cage )
wheel base ( center to center ) 2420mm
Length of the chassis is around 3150mm

From this information im certain the kit will fit, im just trying to work out how viable working around the car will be. Will i spend the majority of the time moving the car from side to side to reach areas or not your experience here will be invaluable

Are there other things to consider such as clear height for fitting engine, or width to get steering rack in? any info would be helpful.

The space im looking at building in.

CosKev3

posted on 10/5/17 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
Doable but not in any way easy or ideal!
Daf

posted on 10/5/17 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
I did it! I also have a lathe, motorbike and my mountain bike in the garage too plus all my tools! But I do have the luxury of a slight L shape to the garage.

I never found it an issue, they are very small cars - you can reach both sides of the engine bay from one side so they are easier to work on the a normal car.

PAUL FISHER

posted on 10/5/17 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
No problem with a single garage, I've built, repaired, and rebuilt a few kits now in my single garage, yes a double garage would be ideal, but you can manage with a single.
[img]http:// Rescued attachment specr 119 (Small).jpg
Rescued attachment specr 119 (Small).jpg
[/img]

Nathsx

posted on 10/5/17 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Gents,

quote:
Originally posted by PAUL FISHER
No problem with a single garage, I've built, repaired, and rebuilt a few kits now in my single garage, yes a double garage would be ideal, but you can manage with a single.
[/img]

Were there any points where you really struggled due to the single garage ? or is it just a case of keeping it tidier as building

Basically was it annoying or did you not really notice much ?

p.s. nice kit

[Edited on 10/5/17 by Nathsx]

Daf

posted on 10/5/17 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
What I did was push the car outside when I wanted to say work on the engine before fitting etc, once the car is rolling this makes life a lot easier. The only problem I has was when it was raining as I didn't want to get the car wet!!
Nathsx

posted on 10/5/17 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daf
What I did was push the car outside when I wanted to say work on the engine before fitting etc, once the car is rolling this makes life a lot easier. The only problem I has was when it was raining as I didn't want to get the car wet!!

So you would suggest get it rolling ASAP to make things easier, that would be an option for me as we have a monoblocked drive outside

peter030371

posted on 10/5/17 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
I started my build in a small barn(8m x 8m with loads of roof height but other cars 'in the way' and then took the kit home to a single garage (all be it 5.5m by 3m internal space).

Started here once the other Striker was gone
Need more space!
Need more space!

Then moved home at Christmas to progress in the evenings
Home
Home

It does help having more room (especially when putting an engine in/out BUT I have taken my engine out/in in the single garage just with careful planning) BUT if you are neat, tidy and methodical with what you are working on it can be done (as others have proven)

Out she comes
Out she comes

Just had enough room to swing the engine hoist out and around and put the engine on the floor in front to the washing machine!

It would help if you have some spare storage space not in the garage to start off with. The bits do take up a lot of room and I started by filling a room with the parts and then took them out and used them one at a time.

A small build space has big advantages....your tools or that nut you just dropped on the floor can never be too far away!

loggyboy

posted on 10/5/17 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
My extended build and delays have not been caused by my single garage. Keep it tidy and be clever with shelving etc and you should be fine.
Although mine was helped with having a large pitched roof over to keep body an other parts in.

Mistral Motorsport

Toprivetguns

posted on 10/5/17 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
Description
Description

If you believe, you can achieve...

Didn't find any issues with a single garage. Clever usage of storage will always help.

[Edited on 10/5/17 by Toprivetguns]

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

rusty nuts

posted on 10/5/17 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Originally built mine in a single garage 15miles from home at my brothers, rebuilt it after a complete strip to remove the crap powder coating , repainted and rebuilt in a single garage without power in 6 weeks
ReMan

posted on 10/5/17 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
If you are tight for space, resist the urge to put it on it's wheels in week 1.
Do the whole body-tub build on a dolly or stand. Engine, wiring, plumbing body everything, until its 90% finished then add the suspension and wings in the last week.
Therea pic in my archive of a wooded thing on wheels, only took the car off it in the last few weeks of build

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

HowardB

posted on 10/5/17 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
the other thing that really helps are "bread trolleys" light weight platforms with 4 castors on. I use these on the kit in a single width garage, makes life a lot easier.

hth

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

Nathsx

posted on 10/5/17 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
Do the whole body-tub build on a dolly or stand. Engine, wiring, plumbing body everything, until its 90% finished then add the suspension and wings in the last week.
Therea pic in my archive of a wooded thing on wheels, only took the car off it in the last few weeks of build

id be lookng at buying it in small bits anyway so this could be easily achievable, it makes sense to get the brake/fuel lines in and fixed as much as possible without calipers then get the diff prop engine etc in as you said without the hassle of reaching over wheels/ suspension

PAUL FISHER

posted on 10/5/17 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nathsx
Thanks Gents,

quote:
Originally posted by PAUL FISHER
[/img]

Were there any points where you really struggled due to the single garage ? or is it just a case of keeping it tidier as building

Basically was it annoying or did you not really notice much ?

p.s. nice kit

[Edited on 10/5/17 by Nathsx]

Like others have said just keep the sides of the garage clear, you can always fit the bodywork on last job, pick a nice day and push it outside.
I've built 2 Indy's rebuilt a Stuart Taylor and a Westfield V8 in my single garage.
Rescued attachment aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
Rescued attachment aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg

FEB 2004 ME at bruntingthorpe(PHOTO USED BY MK FOR KIT CAR MAG ADD)
FEB 2004 ME at bruntingthorpe(PHOTO USED BY MK FOR KIT CAR MAG ADD)

Description
Description

[Edited on 10/5/17 by PAUL FISHER]

spiderman

posted on 10/5/17 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
Built mine in a stable and outdoors, had to turn it on it's side with a couple of dollies under the o/s wheels and pulled it out to install eng and gearbox.
I now have a 45x25 foot workshop and it's just sat in the corner waiting to get finished. It's not all about facilities it's all about enthusiasm.

Spider

Ben_Copeland

posted on 10/5/17 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
I know someone building their car in a container so if they can do it anyone can.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

snapper

posted on 10/5/17 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
I demolished my garage before I bought the kit, hired a single, got the car on its wheels pretty sharp ish then pushed outside.
Garage came to an end and I finished the build on my driveway.
Not everyone has a huge garage and all the tools they need

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

ianhurley20

posted on 10/5/17 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Built mine in a single garage but to get more space put a Caravan store awning at the front which cost about £70 and gave me another 10 ft of rain proof work space and rolled back up easily when not needed. It's now on a friends single garage where we are building a Tiger Avon :-)

nick205

posted on 11/5/17 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
I finished my build in a single garage, but already had the car driveable and the bodywork fitted. I suspect you'd struggle to get all the parts in a single garage (particularly the body work) and still have space to work. Many people must build their cars in single garages (or driveways) so given you've got the garage already I say get on and build the kit.
john_p_b

posted on 11/5/17 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan

exactly this. i bought mine as a rolling chassis so the previous owner had fitted the floor, body panels, wishbones, hubs and wheels, i got it home to my dads single garage and ended up pretty much stripping it back down to make life easier to work on it. work from the inside outwards and space won't be a problem.

built a car, built a home, had a family. lost the family, lost the home, still got the car.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.