Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Track days and economy of scale. Cars Vs bikes
bi22le

posted on 1/5/18 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Track days and economy of scale. Cars Vs bikes

Just a quick insight to something I witnessed today at a Brands Hatch GP bike day.

Around 120+ bikes ( my mate shared a double garage with 13 bikes!) in total. 4 X 15 mins sessions with 30+ bikes in each group. Cost for the day £179. There are 4 of them this year!!

It was mega busy, and a great vibe.everyonr sharing stories, spares and BBQs.

The ONLY 2018 Brands Hatch GP car day is £450, in July! With probably around 45 cars open pit. You can go to Spar, the ring or 2 track days anywhere else for that kind of money.

It will probably be filled with race teams and people with too much money to talk to anyone ( we have all experienced THAT person on a track day).

It makes me want to buy a track bike, but I would poo myself and probably cause injury!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Daf

posted on 1/5/18 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
It's the same on the road, it doesn't matter what you're riding bikers are always happy to chat to each other. However cars on the other hand...!

I was at a trackday in Oulton Park a few weeks ago and the cars on track were worth twice my house!

I've been contemplating taking my bike on track, but like you I'm a bit scared of it, I have a rough idea what to do when a car starts breaking traction but on a bike I have no idea!

mark chandler

posted on 1/5/18 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
My experience of tracking my bike, cheap to enter then add

Tyres, you will ruin a set very quickly
Brakes, I cooked the pads and warped the front discs

And if you fall off £££

So my one time at Lydden hill for 8 X 15 minute sessions = £400

My little car just goes around and around on cheap slicks, uses a little more fuel, if you hit the gravel you stop without damage.

peter030371

posted on 2/5/18 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
I've been to friendly and not-so friendly track days, the more expensive ones tend to be full of 'wannabe' Aytons (or even worse, 'wannabe Hamiltons' in 15 year old Honda Civics) so I would only opt for the lower cost days now.

I have done Brands Hatch GP days twice in my old Striker (both times with Gold Track....back in the early 00's) and the cost then was OK but I would probably only do the Indy circuit now as the number of days on the GP are limited (by the local council/NIMBY groups) and hence command a premium.

Having said that I have just looked and can see 5 GP trackdays this year, one is tomorrow and 'only' £320!

I have done a trackday at Cadwell which was 2 groups of cars and 1 group of bikes, each group having 20 minute sessions throughout the day (also with Gold Track). One biker came off and had to be airlifted to hospital, a lot of bikers then headed off after that. Last I heard the guy just about pulled through but will never walk again.....to me the risk is too great so I will stick to cars and going at speeds I am confident with.

PS the MSV website only lists trackdays coming up over the next few months even when other companies have them listed/ booked up! i.e. Javlin have Cadwell on the 2nd August

nick205

posted on 2/5/18 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting.

I don't (and never have) ride motorbikes - the fear of coming off has always put me off. That said riding (or driving) on purpose made tracks could be an attractive option.

As mentioned above the costs, wear/tear and injury potential involved aren't so attractive.

loggyboy

posted on 2/5/18 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
Its a slightly unfair comparison as Brand GP should be seen as an exception not a rule when it comes to pricing. Brands has a limited number of noisy days they can use the GP layout on, so they save it for racing days and the most profitable Trackdays. As such the GP trackdays command a premium at all times of the year. Bike days are more profitable as you can get a lot more bikes on track than cars, and they are always sessioned so you have to view it that your available tracktime is 1/3 of the day also.

There are also 7 Full GP track days left this year. ranging from 325 to 550, 6 being open pit.

[Edited on 2-5-18 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

peter030371

posted on 2/5/18 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy

There are also 7 Full GP track days left this year. ranging from 325 to 550, 6 being open pit.

Were did you find 7? I have yet to find a decent track day directory that is a) not biased b) is searchable or c) has loads missing!

number-1

posted on 2/5/18 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
Ive been doing bike track days for about 20 years and love them. As the OP said, they are normally quiet a bit cheaper than car days. Brands hatch is probably the only circuit i know that does 4 sessions per hour (which i dont agree with). Brands is also the most expensive. Most other tracks are 3 groups.....Novice, inters, advanced.

There are a few mega cheap circuits, such as Bedford.......its around £150 for 3 groups per hour, and almost 4 miles long is by far the best value for money ive seen. Im doing Bedford with the car in June and it cost £208 with the discount code used, then dd tyres and fuel....its looking like a £500 day

I ride in advanced group and have only crashed once.....funny enough at brands.

If youve never done it before, give it a go. They provide free instruction on most days so decent level national racers show you the way. Every car day ive been to, they charge for the tuition....

Regarding tyres.....you wont go through them as fast as you think unless you are very fast. If you are, you can by British Superbike scrubs for under £100 so very cheap.

I used Nankang AR-1s on my track car and done 3 trackdays and killed the tyres......which cost £600....so again the bike is much cheaper

loggyboy

posted on 2/5/18 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by peter030371
quote:

Were did you find 7? I have yet to find a decent track day directory that is a) not biased b) is searchable or c) has loads missing!

http://www.on-track.co.uk/

Mistral Motorsport

peter030371

posted on 2/5/18 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

http://www.on-track.co.uk/

Now bookmarked

Bunje

posted on 2/5/18 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
i always try and talk to other owners at trackdays after all it costs nothing to be polite. but you do get the odd few that wont speak. but ive also noticed with bikes if im out in my kit i always get a friendly nod from the majority of them. i always try and book with a group of likeminded individuals either from here or other clubs im part of that way youve always got someone to tlak and have a laugh with

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.