Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cycle wings, The good, The Bad and the ugly
thelynxeffect

posted on 5/9/18 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Cycle wings, The good, The Bad and the ugly

Hi guys, I need some advise. I have removed the clam shell wings off my car and got myself a set of GBS wing supports; all I need now is a pair of cycle wings.

Having searched around online stores (MK, GBS etc) and dug through eBay it seems there is quite a lot of choice for what essentially looks the same, I would rather stay sub £100 so can someone recommend me a seller who makes good quality GRP wings in at least 210 width.

Cheers

big-vee-twin

posted on 5/9/18 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
link

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

ianhurley20

posted on 5/9/18 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Why not go aluminium from Matin Batho, very light indeed and very well made http://bathoscars.simpl.com/shop.html

Paul_Arion

posted on 6/9/18 at 06:00 AM Reply With Quote
Or there are lightweight / robust ABS plastic version in black or carbon effect (which are obviously faster 😉 )

Different widths available too

Plays Kool linky

Mr Whippy

posted on 6/9/18 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ianhurley20
Why not go aluminium from Matin Batho, very light indeed and very well made http://bathoscars.simpl.com/shop.html

wow, there is some very impressive work if money was no issue...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 6/9/18 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ianhurley20

Looks to be some skill there!

Jaguar E-Type restoration work can certainly be difficult. I've helped my Dad work on several and simply getting panel curves and shut lines correct is not a simple task. Fitting and aligning the bonnet can be a real ball-ache to get right.

Mash

posted on 6/9/18 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Got a set of these but in GRP if you're on a tight budget, yours for 20 quid as they'll need painting:

Cycle Wings

mcerd1

posted on 6/9/18 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
I still prefer the look of the dax rush ones - they were made to suit 205 tyres as standard (I can measure mine if you want actual sizes)

s/h ones come up every now an then (MAN motorsport are still making them new in theory, but it sounds like you could wait a while at the moment as they are down to 1 man )

a few places do copies of them thought:
http://www.kitcardirect.co.uk/westfield/westfield-bodywork/dax-rush-style-rounded-front-cycle-wing-mudguards-15-carbon-wet-lay-pair.html

-

nick205

posted on 6/9/18 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
I still prefer the look of the dax rush ones - they were made to suit 205 tyres as standard (I can measure mine if you want actual sizes)

s/h ones come up every now an then (MAN motorsport are still making them new in theory, but it sounds like you could wait a while at the moment as they are down to 1 man )

a few places do copies of them thought:
http://www.kitcardirect.co.uk/westfield/westfield-bodywork/dax-rush-style-rounded-front-cycle-wing-mudguards-15-carbon-wet-lay-pair.html

Aother fan of the Dax Rush front cycle wings here - they always look good and seem to hug the front tyres pretty well.

thelynxeffect

posted on 6/9/18 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Those Batho ones are amazing but they ended up being too expensive, I've ordered a set of GRP 220 wide ones from mid Norfolk mouldings, made to order and £65 delivered. I'll let you know how they turn out. Cheers for the tips
number-1

posted on 6/9/18 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got these yellow ones for sale if any good? https://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/34/viewthread.php?tid=213266

If not, motojohn on here has 2 carbon wings for sale

rusty nuts

posted on 8/9/18 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
Depending on which uprights you are using you may want to check up on broken wing stays?
thelynxeffect

posted on 9/9/18 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
I bought these ones for Sierra uprights, they seem pretty solid, is there a ‘normal’ failure point that needs strengthening before they get coated? I’m planning on using sikaflex to secure the wings.

craigdiver

posted on 9/9/18 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thelynxeffect
I bought these ones for Sierra uprights, they seem pretty solid, is there a ‘normal’ failure point that needs strengthening before they get coated? I’m planning on using sikaflex to secure the wings.

I’ve got the same ones and also not fitted yet, will be interested to hear if bonding on with silkaflex is sufficient?

If it ain't broken, fix it anyway (just because).

Building - BMW powered Haynes Roadster/442E hybrid.

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

thelynxeffect

posted on 10/9/18 at 05:05 AM Reply With Quote
I’m going to drill holes in the flat section to increase the bonding edges (also with pre-drilled holes I can then just fit some large flange button cap bolts if it starts to fail) and then just keep my fingers crossed!
Slater

posted on 14/9/18 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Sikaflex will be fine.

Weak point is the welded joint between the flat bar and round section. The cycle wings vibrate and the joint fatigues, I have to get mine welded back up every 2,500 miles or so.

I used sikaflex to start with, but switched to bolted on to make it easier to remove the wing when the bracket gives up and needs re-welding.

It's a common problem with cycle wings.

I've seen a post on here where someone made a support bracket that held the wing steady using the hub through the outer face of the wheel, very clever!

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

thelynxeffect

posted on 15/9/18 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
I sikaflexed the wings on today, ran thick beads on both the wing and the bracket and mounted them, left them for the day then after 12 hours I applied a second coat to cover the bracket completely. Given the surface area of the bracket I am estimating approx 180kg of adhesion per wing which in theory is enough to lift the corner of the car by the wing!

Let’s see if it holds

(I ordered white by mistake)

Description
Description

[Edited on 16/9/18 by thelynxeffect]

Slater

posted on 16/9/18 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Nice, that will hold them on for sure.

Removing them will be difficult, however. I ended up using a length of MIG wire about 2 ft long and wrapped each end round the middle of a wooden dowel, then used it like a "garrot" type flexible saw between the bracket and wing. That sliced through the sikaflex quite well, the wire snapped about 6 times but easy to make another one.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.