Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BEC cooling quickie
number-1

posted on 10/9/18 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
BEC cooling quickie

Can anyone with knowledge of BEC cooling systems have a look at this picture (not mine, but recycled from an older post on here) and tell me if the routing appears to be right? I dont have a thermostat fitted and have no rad cap, just an expansion tank.

Cheers

CosKev3

posted on 10/9/18 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah that's a basic set up for any cooling system.

Why are you not running a thermostat?

number-1

posted on 10/9/18 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Kev.

Erm...to be honest no idea. Its how the car was when i bought it. It ran waterless coolant and had the fans hard wired on, the thermo housing and related pipes removed and had issues keeping cool so presume the owner removed it to try and help the car run cooler.

Ive since figured that the bike (R1 5vy) mechanical pump isnt man enough to service all of the additional coolant pipes (id guess at around 3 metres extra) which go through 2 rads, 1 either side of the car etc so have fitted a Davies craig electric booster pump.

Ive got the thermo housing from a breakers sat in the garage and plan to refit, but need to see what coolant pipes i will need to get to make it work.

The reason for the original question was i dont want to fit it all, refill it all only to have to empty it again to re route pipes.

number-1

posted on 10/9/18 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Ive had a quick look and the reason i think the thermostat is removed is as above, but also due to lack of room due to modifications that have been made around the area it would have been so sticking it back wont be possible. Ill just have to give the car more time to warm up.
ReMan

posted on 10/9/18 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Perhaps this might inspire?
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=127053

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

mark chandler

posted on 11/9/18 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
on my early blade engine it had a thermostat in the housing, when this went bang I got a replacement 919 engine, Honda had played around with the cooling, taken the thermostat out of the housing and installed a seperate remote stat in the plumbing.

That aside it should have a stat, you could dump this and fit a charge cooler pump or similar off an XKR, plenty on eBay for not much as a replacement for the mechanical one and remove this entirely.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.