Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dog boarding/walking
russbost

posted on 4/11/18 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Dog boarding/walking

I'm sure we have plenty of dog owners on here & I'm sure some of you must use dog boarders from time to time for holidays, or if you're away with work etc.

My daughter runs a dog walking & boarding business locally from her home, correctly licensed & insured. She has recently been made aware of new regulations proposed by Defra which are both unnecessary & confusing - there is a petition already raised with regard to this with substantial support

Link to petition

Some of the main points of contention are: the requirement for all dogs (even those from the same house) to have a designated room within the house, and the extremely restrictive outlook of what is considered to be a ‘room’; obligatory familiarisation sessions between dogs from different houses PRIOR to a stay (i.e. clients, and the business owners, need to make time for dogs to meet other dogs they will be sharing the house with every time they will be sharing with a new dog); the fact that you can no longer crate a dog for more than 3 hours in a 24 hour period, apparently even if being crated for longer than this (e.g. overnight which is quite common) is part of the dog’s usual routine, many dogs are used to sleeping in their cages/crates.
There are several other issues with the legislation, including the fact that large parts of it are contradictory and/or unclear.

If these new rules are put in place as they are, it is going to be damaging to ALL dog boarding businesses throughout the country & unfair to both the businesses & the dog owners without making any changes that will actually affect the welfare of the animals (surely the object of the exercise?), the legislation is heavy handed & appears to be taking the stance of using a sledge hammer to crack a nut.

If anyone feels able to sign the petition it would be helpful, you can also email Michael Gove at this email address

correspondence.section@defra.gsi.gov.uk

& an email to whoever your local MP is might also help - this legislation very much reminds me of the stupidity we had recently over the emissions for older kitcars etc. we managed to get that dropped from the regs, I'm hoping that similarly common sense may prevail here .........

Cheers Guys

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
SJ

posted on 4/11/18 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Just signed it as I agree it is heavy handed. There does need to be tighter regulation on dog boarding in domestic homes though, which I'm sure can easily be done through existing licensing.

Mine goes to the cheapy dog kennels locally which are in the middle of nowhere, but I've seen a house where the entire ground floor was multiple dog kennels for boarding. The people running it were nice and real dog lovers, but it must be hell for the neighbours.

russbost

posted on 4/11/18 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, I'd agree there are a few holes in the existing regs & I'm quite sure that when licences were issued they wouldn't have expected someone to make over a whole ground floor to dogs, & tbh that makes it more like kennels than boarding which pretty much destroys the whole point. My daughter is licenced for 4 dogs plus her own, which is a LOT more sensible!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Mash

posted on 5/11/18 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SJ
Just signed it as I agree it is heavy handed. There does need to be tighter regulation on dog boarding in domestic homes though, which I'm sure can easily be done through existing licensing.

Agreed, sure the existing laws could be used, as I think the problems that are out there are a result of staff cutbacks, i.e. less dog wardens, and no-one actually reporting what they think is wrong.

How increased legislation is going to solve either of those problems I just don't see.

Sam_68

posted on 5/11/18 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost...She has recently been made aware of new regulations proposed by Defra...

Closing the kennel door after the whippet has bolted, though, don't you think?

These are not proposals; you're talking about the Animal Welfare (Licensing of Animals)(England) Regulations 2018, which came into force 1st October.

The time to object about new legislation is before it has been enacted.

If you think that the Government is going to make it a priority to review legislation that it has only just enacted, in the middle of everything else that's going on with Brexit at the moment, you're kidding yourself, I'm afraid.

russbost

posted on 6/11/18 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Well, yes Sam, but, unlike the emissions proposals no one appears to have been made aware that any proposed changes were to have been made, she's a member of a couple of official bodies, not a word from them & so far as she has been able to establish no notification of proposed changes was made. You would have thought that at the very least they would have notified the very people that were paying the licences .........

Also, my understanding from her is that it has NOT come into force yet, I believe it does so around the end of the year?

If you read the actual regs there are several things that could never stand up in a court of law as they actually contradict each other for instance, this is from her e,ail to them , regarding enrichment: “All dogs must receive appropriate toys and/or feeding enrichment such as scatter feeders unless veterinary advice suggests otherwise. Owner’s written consent must be obtained.” I would like to know which is the more important point here? That all dogs must receive appropriate toys/feeding enrichment, or that the owner’s consent must be obtained? If the owner does not give their consent, are we still supposed to provide the enrichment, because “All dogs must receive…” or do we not provide it because the owner has said not to, and their “written consent must be obtained” That whole statement is totally ambiguous & a lawyer would tear it to shreds - there is plenty more contradictory& ambiguous material in there also, a no. of instructions that would either be ridiculously time consuming & costly to do & would require compliance &/or time wasting by clients & also stuff which could never be accurately documented or checked on - the whole thing is typical of the current "one size fits all" legislation the current powers seem to love ..............

edited to add that none of the above are reasons NOT to sign a petition against the restrictive regs

[Edited on 6/11/18 by russbost]

Sam_68

posted on 6/11/18 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
...my understanding from her is that it has NOT come into force yet, I believe it does so around the end of the year?

If you read the actual regs...]

These are the "actual regs".

Part 1, Section 1 states that they come into force on 1st October. There are transitional arrangements set out in Section 27, but I can't see any reference to the end of the year; it's all about unexpired existing licensing arrangements remaining valid.

My guess is that what you're referring to as the 'actual regs' is the statutory guidance referred to in Part 2, Section 14 ("A local authority must have regard in the carrying out of its functions under these Regulations to such guidance as may be issued by the Secretary of State" ).

I'm well used to dealing with this sort of thing in my day job: the Building Regulations are framed in the same way, with a set of legal regulations supported by statutory guidance (in that case, in the form of the Approved Documents to the Building Regulations). They're not as inflexible as you seem to assume, and they're usually administered sensibly. If there are conflicts, you can point them out to the individual Officer or Authority administering them... like the legislation says, they have to have regard for the guidance, but that doesn't mean they have to follow it slavishly, to the letter.

Have you actually bothered to read the response that the Government has already given or are you just whipping up your usual reactionary, knee-jerk frenzy on principle?

Defra's response:

"We have received a number of queries relating to the statutory guidance issued under the Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018 for home boarding and dog day-care. Primarily, these are issues of clarity. We have discussed the specific issues that have been raised with our stakeholder groups which includes businesses, charities, veterinarians and local authorities. We have also examined the specific areas of the guidance that people have queried, to provide further clarity, to help improve the understanding among both local authorities and businesses. We are disseminating additional information to local authorities and stakeholders to ensure that the regulations continue to promote a high standard of animal welfare with a minimal disruption to businesses."

russbost

posted on 6/11/18 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, I meant the guidance notes. With regard to coming in at the end of year that would be on expiry of existing licence

"my usual reactionary knee jerk frenzy" at times Sam you really are a total tosser

& as for "We are disseminating additional information to local authorities and stakeholders to ensure that the regulations continue to promote a high standard of animal welfare with a minimal disruption to businesses" - utter rubbish, they don't give a toss about people's small businesses & these regs have little or no bearing on animal welfare. I would be prepared to bet that the original changes & guidance came about because these small businesses were threatening the businesses of large kennel owners & someone's ear got bent & probably palm greased to get changes introduced - personally I'm not a dog owner, but I know if I was which I'd rather have my dog kept by, someone in their own home who will walk it & treat it as they would their own pet, or someone who's going to lock it in a small box for 23 & 3/4 hours a day

What makes the whole thing all the more ridiculous is that the regs are completely toothless, b4 they can visit someone in the business they have to make an appointment first, so they'd have plenty of time to tidy up their act .................

Mr Whippy

posted on 6/11/18 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
hmm

Personally I frown on the whole aspect of putting any dog in a crate or cage perhaps cos I've seen so many owners who treat their dogs like utter crap over the years but that's just people for you, I decked a guy for hitting his dog with a hoover extension once. My dogs have their own sofa in the living room (big hounds too) I am lucky my folks love looking after them when we're on hols though.

I'm sure there are many boarding kennels that are run very well with kind and caring people but I bet there are plenty that are not.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SJ

posted on 6/11/18 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
I was anti crate when we got our dog, but he was very happy in it. They are really handy in keeping the dog both out of harm's way and stopping them doing stuff they shouldn't. Having said that he's so chilled out now we don't bother with it.
russbost

posted on 6/11/18 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
My daughter only uses crates if at the request & agreement of the owner, but many dogs sleep in them all the time overnight, whether at home or away, no question of them being confined involuntarily! Under the new regs, there is a suggestion they should only use their own crates, but would you, as an owner, want to dismantle & transport the crate every time you took your dog for boarding, many owners much prefer to use the crates she can provide

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.