Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is this a mad idea?
JC

posted on 5/2/19 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
Is this a mad idea?

I’ve just got hold of a couple of ‘eyeball’ vents from a Bini. My car doesn’t have a heater but sometimes a bit of warm air would be welcome.. I’m thinking of installing them on the dash with some ducting to pipe in hot air from the radiator - has anyone else done this? It should be clean, non -toxic air from there..........
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
russbost

posted on 5/2/19 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
You'll probably still need to add a fan of some sort, you get surprisingly little air down a pipe of 2" dia or similar without either a direct duct from passing air to feed it (even then pretty useless at low speed) or a fan to drive the air - computer fans or similar could probably do the job, & you need to be ABSOLUTELY certain that you can't pick up any CO from exhaust leaks within the engine bay along the way, even with an open car CO is not a good thing to introduce to the cockpit

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
jps

posted on 5/2/19 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Didn't old minis do something similar? And I assume all air cooled cars have cabin heating without a heater matrix?
kingster996

posted on 6/2/19 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
https://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/topic/132814-westfield-heater-unit/

Very common on Westies and a heater unit for sale above.

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure

SJ

posted on 6/2/19 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Didn't old minis do something similar? And I assume all air cooled cars have cabin heating without a heater matrix?

Off the exhaust in my old Citroen GS. Worked a treat and is what I plan to do on the MK, with a fan off a Saxo

jps

posted on 6/2/19 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SJ
Off the exhaust in my old Citroen GS.

I think my donor Sierra did this too - it had a raggedy bit of flexi tube on a plate about the exhaust manifold. I wasn't paying a lot of attention when I took it out and chucked it away though!!!

SJ

posted on 6/2/19 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by SJ
Off the exhaust in my old Citroen GS.

I think my donor Sierra did this too - it had a raggedy bit of flexi tube on a plate about the exhaust manifold. I wasn't paying a lot of attention when I took it out and chucked it away though!!!

That would be for warming the inlet / carb not the interior.

redturner
Senior Builder

Posts 449
Registered 9/11/12

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Run 2 ltr Black Top in single seater race car.

posted on 8/2/19 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Back in the days when the Ford Pops were 'popular', I fitted quite a few 'heaters' to these cars using a home made 4" butterfly valve and a length of 4" flexible hose. I made up a metal box to go across the top 1/4 of the rad and this took the other end of the pipe. Of course these days you can still buy those old round Smiths heaters, which were used in some sports cars and tractors……..

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.