Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Switching from shocks with bushes to shocks with sphericals - ride quality
JekRankin

posted on 24/5/19 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
Switching from shocks with bushes to shocks with sphericals - ride quality

So I’ve never been happy with the fit of the bodywork on my car. The rear axle needs to come forward by approx. 20mm to centralise the wheels in the arches. As it stands, it looks a bit rubbish and the clearance between arch and wheel is minimal at full bump. (The chassis jigs were actually shortened a few years after I bought my car to improve the body fit).

I plan to achieve the same by making some new wishbones with the outer pick up points swept forward by 20mm. I don’t plan to move the shock mount on the chassis however, so in order to maintain the shock angle, I’m going to change to shocks with spherical ends and offset these in the brackets by 10mm at the top and bottom.

The current set of shocks run on bonded bushes with steel inserts. The ride quality is actually quite nice. If I move to spherical shocks, am I likely to notice a large increase in noise and harshness? I’ll probably go for the valved and balanced Procomp/Protech units. The rest of the suspension will be running on metalistic bushes.

Jek

AdamR20

posted on 24/5/19 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
You won't notice any difference.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.