Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Front wheel alignment - Worcestershire area
Charlie C

posted on 5/7/19 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Front wheel alignment - Worcestershire area

Can anyone recommend somewhere I can get the front wheel toe measured and adjusted in the Worcestershire area. Because the arches are close to the wheels all the local tyre fitters cant get their alignment tools to hang over the top of the wheel.

I’ve been calling Matt at Procomp, I guess he’s really busy with the race season in full swing.

[Edited on 5/7/19 by Charlie C]

rusty nuts

posted on 5/7/19 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
I’ve done it in the past just using 2 lengths of straight wood with a couple of blocks to raise them up at each end then measure across the car in front and behind the wheels. Adjust and repeat until correct , when checked using laser 4 wheel alignment kit it was spot on . Guns on Trakrite is supposed to be accurate but I’ve never used one , probably cheaper to buy one than pay a tyre fitter that doesn’t know what he is doing? Alternatively find an old garage that has the Dunlop optical gauges

posted on 5/7/19 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
I have my own home made device. Three bits of box, M10 stud, and a £10 digi vernier from Aldi.

I trust it more than some of the cowboys in tyre fitting establishments.

I'll get it powder coated one day and make it look professional.

Paul G

Description
Description

Description
Description

Edit to add:- There's a deluxe version using a Moore & Wright

[Edited on 5/7/19 by 907]

Charlie C

posted on 5/7/19 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
Good idea I like it!

I might give that ago at the weekend.

posted on 5/7/19 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie C
Good idea I like it!

I might give that ago at the weekend.

It helps to have a helper holding the stud side, and if you have smart wheels put a bit of PVC tape on the rim so as not to scratch.

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/7/19 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
I’ve done it in the past just using 2 lengths of straight wood with a couple of blocks to raise them up at each end then measure across the car in front and behind the wheels. Adjust and repeat until correct , when checked using laser 4 wheel alignment kit it was spot on . Guns on Trakrite is supposed to be accurate but I’ve never used one , probably cheaper to buy one than pay a tyre fitter that doesn’t know what he is doing? Alternatively find an old garage that has the Dunlop optical gauges

I used thread super glued to the front rim and the back rim, when all four points of the rims touched the thread it was set at zero caster, a simple calc then gave me how much to leave a gap at the rear of the front rim for toe out or put a thin (I use balsa) spacer on the front to get the toe in.

Remarkably accurate and costs nothing.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

posted on 5/7/19 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:- "when all four points of the rims touched the thread it was set at zero caster,"

Mmmmmm, you need a re-think on that one.

I take it that you don't mean "caster"

Lining the front wheel up with the back would only work if the rear track width was EXACTLY the same as the front.
Often cars, particularly 7's are not. (if that's what you mean)

Paul G

ianhurley20

posted on 6/7/19 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
I have a Gunson Trackrite which has done mine with surprising accuracy - only cost about £40 some years ago, hardest thing is finding a flat, level surface to do it on, garage with a bit of room would be fine, mine was too small though.

Charlie C

posted on 8/7/19 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
I have my own home made device. Three bits of box, M10 stud, and a £10 digi vernier from Aldi.

I trust it more than some of the cowboys in tyre fitting establishments.

I'll get it powder coated one day and make it look professional.

Paul G

Description
Description

Description
Description

Edit to add:- There's a deluxe version using a Moore & Wright

[Edited on 5/7/19 by 907]

I made one of these out of 50x25mm box section i had hanging around it works really well, the only change i made was to the vernier mount i welded a nut on the upright so i can use a bolt finger tight to hold the vernier in place. Its not perfect but it did show a 22.38m difference between front and rear wheel rim distance (front axle).

[Edited on 8/7/19 by Charlie C]

[Edited on 8/7/19 by Charlie C]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.