Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Forming large radius in ali sheet
johnH20

posted on 7/1/20 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Forming large radius in ali sheet

I need form some ali sheet to approx 50 cm radius. I have been successful in the past using various plastic drain pipes as formers for lesser radii but clearly a 1 metre drain pipe is not something you find in B & Q. Allowing for spring back I probably need something around 75 cm diameter. The length of the sheet to be formed is about 1 metre. Any suggestions? TIA.
steve m

posted on 7/1/20 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Does the bend have to be spot on with accuracy ?
As when I made the panels on my demised Locost, the scuttle and bonnet were bent around the lamppost across the road!

Just start with a small bend, move on, and keep going, and eventually, a curve will appear

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

StrikerChris

posted on 7/1/20 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
Slipping your local fab shop a tenna at lunch time would be the best bet. Wouldn't take 5 minutes on a set of pyramid rollers.

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 7/1/20 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
Bolt a few car wheels together to make a roller?
JAG

posted on 8/1/20 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
I also formed some large radii on panels around the Lampost outside my house

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

johnH20

posted on 8/1/20 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Car wheels are an excellent suggestion. I have a set of track wheels doing nothing at the moment. Unfortunately my lamp posts are square section!
loggyboy

posted on 8/1/20 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
Tall gas cyl? as its done progressively the radii of the form doesnt need to be as much as the target.
bi22le

posted on 8/1/20 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
This is a trick I have done many time and it works a right treat. . .

Get a sheet of foam, or you can lay a load of towels out on the ground. The tighter the tad the softer and thicker the foam. The foam sheet needs to be wider than the metal sheet you are rolling.

You also need a bar to form with. It does not to be the rad as the required bend, something like a thick walled gutter pipe.

Put the foam down and the metal sheet on top, then use the forming bar and (gently at first) apply pressure while rolling the bar up and down the sheet. Your weight will compress the foam and by gauging the amount of pressure you apply, and the amount you roll up and down, it curls the metal sheet up. Try to apply consistent force as you roll or you can kink the sheet.

Regularly pick up the sheet and see how its curling.

With this technique I have been able to roll metal sheet to rads as small as 25mm and as large as 300mm.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

johnH20

posted on 8/1/20 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
bi22le that is absolute genius!

posted on 9/1/20 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
45g oil drum ?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.