Board logo

Electric Motor Blower
James - 5/4/04 at 04:27 PM

Was just wondering if electric motor powered 'chargers exist and if not- why not?

My suspicion is that they may take as long to spin up as a turbo but without the benefit of being powered 'for free' as it were from exhaust gases.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

James

MikeR - 5/4/04 at 04:55 PM

I think the issue is getting enough force from the motor without drawing huge amounts of current.

Alan B - 5/4/04 at 05:17 PM

Yep...you would need such a big alternator to supply the current you may as well just drive the blower directly and save the coversion inefficiencies...

blueshift - 5/4/04 at 10:02 PM

... and the weight of the big alternator and motor (just pulleys)

Mark Allanson - 5/4/04 at 10:21 PM

I thought an electric blower would be controllable by an ECU, but I suppose that a hydraulic clutch activated by a servo would be just as good if not better

stephen_gusterson - 5/4/04 at 10:45 PM

you can buy an electrec turbo called a turbozet

http://www.turbozet.com/

supposedly total crap

atb

steve

JoelP - 6/4/04 at 09:09 AM

so is an electric turbo better than an electric supercharger!!!!!

i know, there should be no difference.

would an electric turbo still have a turbine in the exhaust? hence would it be an antilag device? and would a leccy super use the motor to help turn the crank too?!

stephen_gusterson - 6/4/04 at 09:17 AM

effectively the turbozet isnt a turbo, as its not exhaust driven.

It woukld melt as its plastic.

If you think about it, can you see a little lekky motor being able to compress air at a volume of approx 2 litres per 2x crank revs at 6,000 rpm to approx 8 - 15 psi?

I cant.....

atb

steve

GO - 6/4/04 at 09:37 AM

We had a little thread on this subject before...

thready

stephen_gusterson - 6/4/04 at 12:38 PM

a whole 1psi!

I wonder if an engine driven fan (the one that would have cooled the rad normally) could be boxed in and used..... it could have a 'waste gate' to divert any flow thats not needed, so its effectively always on, but bled away when not needed.

atb

steve

carcentric - 6/4/04 at 04:45 PM

There was a fellow on the Dodge Dakota forum who was experimenting with providing boost from the output end of a two-cycle leaf blower (if you have such things over there).

If I remember correctly, it was constant speed producing constant pressure rather than variable according to load so it added a high-pitched bagpipe-like drone to the vehicle engine's song.

Don't know if he ever finished it or if it remained in the prototype stage.

NS Dev - 7/4/04 at 11:36 PM

Hmmmm, all this sounds decidedly smelly of something unpleasant!!

A typical supercharger on a typical 2.0 litre engine running at typical peak rpm will typically (like that word) draw about 15bhp from the engine that it is feeding at typical (10 -12psi) boost levels, that's a heck of a big 12v dc motor!!!!

As an interesting aside, a top-fuel dragster at 8000rpm uses approximately 250-300 bhp to drive it's supercharger!! (mind you the engine in making circa 7000bhp so it's not too bad!!)

Mark Allanson - 8/4/04 at 05:39 PM

Why cannot you use a turbo impellor to drive an alternator - no losses when your lights are on etc

gjn200 - 8/4/04 at 05:42 PM

It would cost to much,£600 ish for a turbo type thing for a couple of bhp.