Board logo

Long throttle and clutch cables on a budget?
mak - 31/12/05 at 10:54 AM

I need to remake my throttle and clutch cables as they are a bodge of what I had available to me. Main problem was finding long enough cables 2.5m.

Can anyone name a supplier that can supply bits I need to make these cables?

Other bits I am struggling to find are big jubilee clips (200mm dia). And a flexible fuel line supplier.

Any help appreciated

Cheers,

Mark

MikeR - 31/12/05 at 11:03 AM

Burton do massive throttle cables..... 4m i think.

As for clutch, think you'll have to go hydralic. If thats going to make things too complicated, put a hydralic system driving the cable.

Danozeman - 31/12/05 at 11:23 AM

Push bike cable brake cable for the throttle. Bike shops sell it off the roll, cable and sheath seperate.

There must be places that will make up a clutch cable for you. Ring round and ask a few places.

ReMan - 31/12/05 at 11:24 AM

I bought my cables "off the roll" from MK.
I also had my gearchange cable made by http://www.cable-tec.co.uk/ .
hth

stevec - 31/12/05 at 11:30 AM

Hillman Imp had a long Trotter cable (if they are still available). Shows my age dosent it?

CairB - 31/12/05 at 11:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by stevec
Hillman Imp had a long Trotter cable (if they are still available). Shows my age dosent it?

But it was a pig of a job to fit

mark chandler - 31/12/05 at 12:24 PM

I am struggling to find are big jubilee clips (200mm dia).

Just use two 110mm ones and join to each other ! Eithee that or car braekers and look for the clips on inlet plenums.

Regards Mark

ReMan - 31/12/05 at 12:36 PM

How hard did you look?

http://www.jubileeclips.co.uk/

ReMan - 31/12/05 at 12:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mak
And a flexible fuel line supplier.

Any help appreciated

Cheers,

Mark

Do you mean rubber fuel pipe?

britishtrident - 31/12/05 at 02:18 PM

quote:

even better the Imp Sport cable is 9" longer than the cooking Imp version

britishtrident - 31/12/05 at 02:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CairB
quote:

Change dozens of then -- 2 minute job if you did it the official Rootes way using proper Rootes parts -- inner cable only.

CairB - 31/12/05 at 02:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
quote:
Originally posted by CairB
quote:

Change dozens of then -- 2 minute job if you did it the official Rootes way using proper Rootes parts -- inner cable only.

Sorry, it was intended as a pun... Trotter / pig ?

I'll get my coat

mak - 31/12/05 at 03:12 PM

Cheers for advice,

The fact is I haven't really searched around, because all of my usual suppliers are closed over this period. (smaller industrial estate places).

But i'll certainly be ringing around bike places to find out who does it off the roll, because my local one does not.

Oh and one for the books i've had my first satisfactory experience with Hammerite! Lucky as its my roll-bar.

Regards,

Mark

Genesis - 31/12/05 at 03:22 PM

Lots of after sales motorcycle shops do them off the roll too. Including outer sheath of various diameter's.

RazMan - 31/12/05 at 06:12 PM

CBS do a mahoosive cable that is over 3.5 metres long.

Long enough for you?

oliwb - 31/12/05 at 06:18 PM

If your after cables for throttle that have to be long let me know...I work at a bike shop and can supply outer casings and also cables upto I think 3.5m.....Oli.

Hellfire - 31/12/05 at 07:09 PM

We bought the bits required from Vehicle Wiring Products and made our own cables up.

Vehicle Wiring Products

britishtrident - 31/12/05 at 09:46 PM

why not switch to hydraulics for the clutch