Board logo

IVA not a bad fail (I think)?
corrado vr6 - 29/10/13 at 05:55 PM

Hi all, well some of you may have read my post yesterday where I was asking what to take to my IVA, well today I had my test in southampton by Andy

Well it failed obviously by the title, but I don't think to badly

The car is an 06 R1 MK Indy

The failures were

- noise was 103db, hopefully some sound deadening will help or hiring Mk's silencer maybe an option

- emmisions, it passed fast idle and co but failed on lambda value to high, possibly a tweak of the map on the power commander

- he feels that the MNR colum fitted the splines on the colum and steering wheel have a little movement on each other, this ones a shame however he said I need a collapsible boss anyway as the MNR colum doesn't have a collapsible part within it despite being told it would be fine for IVA

- due to fitting smaller wheels Andy felt there wasn't enough Clarence between the inner part of the wheel and the calliper, however I already have some bigger wheels so that's easy

- both front braided brake hoses chaffe against the wishbones during lock to lock action and hoses must not be cable tied to wishbones

- the under steering column mounting brackets need a 2.5mm radius or trim added

-I need a certificate of fitting of the alarm/immobiliser, shame as apparently if it was just an immobiliser I would not need this certificate

- I need to cover my front light mounts to meet the radius requirement

- Rear reflectors if placed on the rear arches need to be flat or more vertical

- rear panel lower edge needs some trim

- I need to rewire my lights so that my dipped beam can only work when sidelights are on and main beam can only work when dipped is on

- side repeaters are a bit dim

- harnesses - well putting my harnesses around the sides of my cobra roadster 7 seats didn't work, so the rear harnesses mounts either need to be higher or remove the seat runner to lower the seat

- due to all savage switches being blue this can be confusing regarding the main beam, apparently I need to change the LEDs for other switches so only the main beam is a blue tell tail or make my r1 clocks display the main beam signal

- move fuel pipes or shield them from the exhaust do in the event of a leak fuel does not drop on to the exhaust

- due to 100mm sphere being able to get between the steering wheel and dash from above the clocks ignition and kill switch now all need 2.5mm radius, I think I'll be fitting an areoscreen lol

So although it looks a lot most of the above are quite easy so I'm actually quiet pleased, there's a few points I'm glad he found however a few I feel are slightly unfair, although he was trying very hard to help where he could

Best bit of all..... It didn't rain and I got to properly drive my car

prawnabie - 29/10/13 at 06:20 PM

Sounds like a easy list to work through - Shame about the column!

sdh2903 - 29/10/13 at 06:26 PM

Not too bad although it does seem as though you had a bit of a picky tester. Some of the fails on your car were present on mine and it wasn't picked up on.

The bit about main beam needs to work only when dipped is on is incorrect for starters. Also there must be hundreds of kits passed Iva with savage switches with all blue tell tales. Rear reflectors iirc there is no requirement for vertical orientation unlike the fog lights as long as they meet the location requirements. If the clocks are behind the steering wheel then they will be in the exempt area ????

matt_gsxr - 29/10/13 at 08:00 PM

Sounds to me like the tester was a bit picky.

First drive is definitely a big smile event, well done.

Lightning - 29/10/13 at 10:04 PM

I don't understand the bit about the sphere getting between the steering wheel and the dash. I
though there was an exclusion zone of -----mm?? Around the wheel???

corrado vr6 - 29/10/13 at 10:39 PM

Yes that what I thought! I argued the fact that its exempt behind the wheel, however his point of view was due to being able to get the sphere into that area from the outside upper edge he was testing it for exterior projections!!!!

Again the reflectors seem a bit hats, however it had already failed so there wasn't much point in arguing ill just relocate them to a more flatter area and maybe add some more sticky padding on the top edge to make them more vertical. The wording on the fail sheet is

RS6 - rear reflectors must face predominately to the rear

The tester did say if I can get the tell tail for main beam to work on the car then he will except that the savage switches are all blue
The wording for the lights is "rear position lamps and number plate lamps and appropriate tell tails not working when dipped and main headlamps switched on.
(Either hard wire lamps and appropriate tell tails or wire switches so side operates first, then dip, then main beam)"

More annoyingly the fog light passed and he didn't even check the fact it had a buzzer to remind you it was left on, all he checked was that it came on only when the dipped beam was on

[Edited on 29/10/13 by corrado vr6]

blakep82 - 30/10/13 at 01:23 AM

Hmm, some of those shouldn't be a fail imo...

Theres no requirement for a collapsible collumn. The manual gives a few options, with diagrams. One option is to have 2 universal joints, each with an angle greater that 10 degrees I believe? So I dont accept that

Not enough clearance between wheel and caliper, never seen anything about that in the manual. How much clearance is there? Anyway, if theres a clearance, they should never touch anyway. If he's worried about stones getting trapped, well how big does a stone have to be?

Only thing on the back of the car that has to be vertical is the fog light according to the manual I believe?

Switch colour, really?! What colour does he suggest? Red could be mistaken for brake fluid level, orange for fog, and green for indicators!
The identification of controls states that the warning lights need to be clearly identifiable. If I remember right, colours are optional, only recommendations on colours are made (and should be stuck to for ease)

I haven't got the manual to hand to read it, so thats from memory, may not be entirely right

Would have been a fail on other stuff anyway, but thats bullsh!t in my opinion

adithorp - 30/10/13 at 10:17 AM

Some of those are a bit picky but most are easier to rectify than argue over. The exempt area with no screen was as he tested it when IVA was first proposed but then I understood it was revised later as far as I remember.
If you dont go for an aero-screen then a simple shield that reduces the gap to less than the sphere would, do fitted to the top of the dash.
If you're on 04-06 R1 clocks the black wire with yellow tracer is the main beam light.

gremlin1234 - 30/10/13 at 11:04 AM

quote:
-I need a certificate of fitting of the alarm/immobiliser, shame as apparently if it was just an immobiliser I would not need this certificate

can you disable the alarm function? - just disconnect the speaker/ horn

40inches - 30/10/13 at 11:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
Hmm, some of those shouldn't be a fail imo...

Theres no requirement for a collapsible collumn. The manual gives a few options, with diagrams. One option is to have 2 universal joints, each with an angle greater that 10 degrees I believe? So I dont accept that

Not enough clearance between wheel and caliper, never seen anything about that in the manual. How much clearance is there? Anyway, if theres a clearance, they should never touch anyway. If he's worried about stones getting trapped, well how big does a stone have to be?

Only thing on the back of the car that has to be vertical is the fog light according to the manual I believe?

Switch colour, really?! What colour does he suggest? Red could be mistaken for brake fluid level, orange for fog, and green for indicators!
The identification of controls states that the warning lights need to be clearly identifiable. If I remember right, colours are optional, only recommendations on colours are made (and should be stuck to for ease)

I haven't got the manual to hand to read it, so thats from memory, may not be entirely right

Would have been a fail on other stuff anyway, but thats bullsh!t in my opinion

Agree with everything here. No collapsible column on mine, they just checked for at least 2 uj's in column.
I fitted the reflectors under the light cluster, more upright than the back panel, but as Blake says shouldn't have made a difference.
Description
Description