Board logo

IVA Emissions
Mike70 - 22/6/18 at 12:52 PM

hi, getting really confused onthe IVA requirements for emissions, can anyone actually clarify.
My situation at present is a Tiger Cat E1 with 2001 2.0 Zetec blacktop with bike carbs.
If i go through the IVA manual i will require a Cat, for emission testing, as they are bike carbs i have been informed i have no chance in passing emissions, so i need to go back to injection and lambda sensors.

also i have been told by someone that if i go Q plate the emissions dont come into it and im all good, but im pretty sure its engine age related whether its Q plate or age related???

i hope someone can clarify for me in tis confusing world of IVA, thanks

ttalps2000 - 22/6/18 at 01:53 PM

doesn't matter if its carbs or injection, it will need to meet the standards for the cat test. Carbs will be more difficult but not impossible...

If you get a Q plate then you will not have an emissions test AFTER IVA. registration is once you have the certificate.

i had to do an engine change to get through emissions, to then be given a Q plate and never have an emissions test again. Painful!

Mike70 - 22/6/18 at 01:55 PM

Thanks ttalps2000 think i may go the route of fitting a cat as that is required and then get an MOT station to check emissions to see where im at

ttalps2000 - 22/6/18 at 02:12 PM

Do check in the IVA manual for the revs at which it will be tested too, but you cant turn the carbs down enough to get it through im sure!

big_wasa - 22/6/18 at 03:56 PM

Getting it through emissions on carbs may not be impossible but in my opinion it’s unlikley.

Has anyone managed it recently, bike carbs on a car engine ?

[Edited on 22/6/18 by big_wasa]

ttalps2000 - 22/6/18 at 05:27 PM

Mark Viccars did laugh when i suggested putting a cat on the 4age with carbs and replied with dont bother!

snapper - 23/6/18 at 04:47 AM

Bike carbs will ruin a cat quite quickly unless running lean enough to meet lambda criteria which in turn can melt pistons.
I have heard that installing an air bleed system can achieve the desired emissions but that could be more difficult than fitting fuel injection and an ecu.