Board logo

Getting an age related registration
Crockpot - 22/7/23 at 02:49 PM

Just curiosity really.
I expect my project to get a Q plate but the basis is there for an age related plate.
The engine and box are from a Granada which I scrapped and foolishly surrendered the V5. However I do have a photocopy of the V5, would this be acceptable to DVLA?
As I said it's no problem if not.

Thanks.

russbost - 24/7/23 at 08:10 AM

Rather depends on who handles the application at DVLA. I've recently seen a kitcar registered with a brand new plate when it was built with SH parts & there was no indication that engine/gearbox had been reconditioned to "as new" standard!

Basically if you can prove new chassis, then you have 5 of the required points, IIRC engine is 2 & gearbox is 1, so that gives you the required total of 8 points to qualify for age related. The rest is somewhat open to interpretation as there is no way to prove age of most other components & if your description is that they are from the same car they are unlikely to prove you wrong.

As I say, much depends on the person (child!) dealing with the application, I put one of my early applications in with a copied V5 having already sent the actual V5 off as scrapped, as, strictly speaking, you should do, only to be told I needed to apply for a new V5 for the SCRAPPED car, now non-existent at a cost of £25 so they could then give the new age related reg & register the original car as scrapped (which had already been done once!)

I would defo apply for an age related, the worst they can do is turn it down & issue a "Q" plate.

As regards a Q, some peeps advocate it's easier for MoT as visible smoke only, no actual emissions test, but personally I always feel a Q devalues the car, sometimes significantly. Not so much if it's a total one off, or very unusual, & on something like a 7 clone, probably not a lot, but, for instance, something like a Cobra or GT40 rep with a Q is always going to be a very hard sell as it screams kitcar & even tho' you can virtually guarantee that any Cob or Gt40 you see on the road is gonna be a kit, most peeps still don't want that plate putting it beyond any reasonable doubt

Slimy38 - 24/7/23 at 11:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by russbost
As regards a Q, some peeps advocate it's easier for MoT as visible smoke only, no actual emissions test, but personally I always feel a Q devalues the car, sometimes significantly. Not so much if it's a total one off, or very unusual, & on something like a 7 clone, probably not a lot, but, for instance, something like a Cobra or GT40 rep with a Q is always going to be a very hard sell as it screams kitcar & even tho' you can virtually guarantee that any Cob or Gt40 you see on the road is gonna be a kit, most peeps still don't want that plate putting it beyond any reasonable doubt

Rumours suggest it also affects insurance?

russbost - 24/7/23 at 12:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:
Originally posted by russbost

Rumours suggest it also affects insurance?

Certainly not in my experience & can't see why it should other than possibly affecting a high valuation which wouldn't be realistic on a Q plate & therefore making that quote more open to abuse. My first Furore was Q & I didn't have any great problems insuring it cheaply despite being a total one off, somewhat unusual & twin engined!

Crockpot - 27/7/23 at 04:03 PM

Thanks for the info Russ. Looks like its a suck it and see job. I'm a way off yet anyway and as I said it's not an issue.