Board logo

Towing unregistered car
matt_claydon - 13/9/03 at 01:42 PM

I'm moving house and need to get my Indy to a friends house for storage until SVA. It's finished but not registered yet. Is it legal to tow it behind another car, putting the towing car's number plate on the back?

Should I just drive it on the basis that I'm taking it to have work done to pass SVA?

Or should I just pay to hire / borrow a trailer?

Cheers,
Matt.

MK Goldrush - 13/9/03 at 03:46 PM

Get a trailer m8... not worth the risk!

Unless your new place is next door!

blueshift - 14/9/03 at 07:27 PM

IIRC it's illegal. has to be taxed and MOT'd to be towed on the road, I think.

Macca - 14/9/03 at 07:57 PM

IIRC it's illegal. has to be taxed and MOT'd to be towed on the road, I think.

Will be OK to tow as just treated the same as a trailer,just ensure lights, reg plate and tyres are all in order!

Col

Viper - 14/9/03 at 08:02 PM

It's ilegal to tow it mate, you could get done for all sorts including no tax, insurance, ec etc etc, it is not considered a trailor, it is considered to be a motor vehicle.

Macca - 14/9/03 at 08:18 PM

it is considered to be a motor vehicle.

Why, as it has no id and is really just a collection of parts.Re. insurance & tax etc These are unobtainable at the moment so I just can't see how it works,please explain?
Col

JoelP - 14/9/03 at 09:16 PM

AFAIK, a cop would LHAO if you tried saying it wasnt a car!

If the front wheels were on a thingy to make it towable, fair doos.

It someone has to steer it, its a sodding car. Could argue all day but theres no chance a cop would let it go.

Viper - 14/9/03 at 09:38 PM

fraid if you put it on a dolly, ie front wheels in the air it still has to have tax insurance etc,

Why, as it has no id and is really just a collection of parts.Re. insurance & tax etc These are unobtainable at the moment so I just can't see how it works,please explain?
Col

you on a wind up or what?

Macca - 14/9/03 at 10:12 PM

you on a wind up or what?

No, I don't do wind ups I just don't understand!

Col

Jon Ison - 14/9/03 at 10:46 PM

dont know where the law stands but, ive seen plenty of race cars towed on a "dolly" they arnt taxed, tested ect......but maybe there just been towed illegaly, dunno...?

Jon Ison - 14/9/03 at 10:48 PM

ive actually thought to myself its a bit silly that though, one bump on the track and how they gonna get the car home with a corner missing..........

Viper - 15/9/03 at 06:21 AM

its a common enough sayimg,

the law is an ass

how many converted coaches (to carry race cars) have drivers with HGV's?