Board logo

XS70 charge can it stand up??
j1400 - 10/11/03 at 01:42 PM

I got stopped last night along with a friend (2cars). Accused of racing dangerous driving, speeding etc. Now got a excessive speed charge 3pts fixed charge. But they were only in astra plod cars, so no video evidence, there was a car behind me so they couldn't have estimated my speed at all. they guessed 90ish, which was roughly 30-40mph out. do I take it to court or just take the fine??

JoelP - 10/11/03 at 01:48 PM

only go to court if your sure you'll win, cos it will probably be 6pts by the time you get there.

I think they do need some proof beyond following you, also their car need to have been checked on the day i think.

by accepting the 3 pts ticket it may be too late anyway, that may count as admitting guilt.

all the best, it is a sick feeling innit?

DaveFJ - 10/11/03 at 02:27 PM

as long as there were 2 coppers in the car and they were in agreemnet that you were speeding - thats all they need - oh yeah and as long as they had thier hats on when they cautioned you......

I beleive that is still the case - however I await correction

When you say 30-40 mph out - which way????

[Edited on 10/11/03 by protofj]

ned - 10/11/03 at 03:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by protofj
When you say 30-40 mph out - which way????
[Edited on 10/11/03 by protofj]

hmmm, now lets think about this....

err, nope, no idea, you'll have to tell us.

Ned.

DaveFJ - 10/11/03 at 03:35 PM

well I came far to close to the rear end of a patrol car friday night - doing 125! - dunno how the hell I got away with it!

j1400 - 11/11/03 at 12:03 AM

Hi there, no they didn't have there hats on.

30-40 I'm sure you can imagine if they think I was speeding, if I hadn't slowed to see why Danny had they wouldn't have caught me, it was 4 seperate cars and 4 officers in seperate cars. all plod astras so i'd imagine no calibrated speedo, and in the light mist they could have seen me 200metres up the road. But I think I'll take the points as first time offence is ok, just contest in the future when it counts against me more. anyway got stopped before for speeding in a town, said you were doing at least 75, lol I was still in first and told them to go away didn't tell them top of 1st was 48mph. lol
Cheers for the input

stephen_gusterson - 11/11/03 at 10:40 AM

I was told by a copper that stopped me once that ALL patrol cars have a calibrated speedo - its the normal one fitted in the dash - not a special bolt on goodie.

What you have to consider is the way the system works.

a. two police in a car is 100% for a court. no calibrated speedo needed.

b. a single cop and a cal speedo also will do.

c. these people deal with the likes of us that try and get off a charge every day. they know the dodges and excuses.

d. Consider your day in court. There is you, on a serious charge. They dont know you from adam. Across the cort is PC smith and jones, who the magistrates know from all the other times they have been in court. Your word agaisnt those of two known police officers, when you are defending a 'racing' realed charge. I just know who mr / mrs / ms wolly jumpered magistrate is gonna believe.

They can still bring retrospective charges against you if ypou fight it - just cos you got offered a fixed charge doesnt mean they cant add stuff later if you elect to fight it..

Motoring law seems to need a much lower burden of proof. basically the copper is right unless you can show something concrete. Lets just say you get railroaded - it cost money to get to an appeals court. Stuff like footie players getting off on 'i didnt sign the form' techicalities happen cos they have the money to go to such lengths.

I recon 60 quid and 3 points is an easy way out. From someone that tried to fight a 71 in a 60 zone charge - ended up with 2 coppers coming to my work for 90 min interview and 180 quid fine.

'its a rat trap - and youve been caught' - boomtown rats

atb

steve

mad4x4 - 11/11/03 at 04:01 PM

All the police bike have a calibrated speedo. I was speaking to a Copper at the scottich motorshow and he said that they can charge on the speedo reading. As long as it is in claibration. On the bikes if the speedo says 72mph the bike is doing 72mph!. Cars speedos usually read 4-6mph to high.