Board logo

Powering speakers from a PC
Jasper - 6/3/09 at 04:37 PM

Can I play music direct from my PC's sound card out to regular speakers, or do I need PC speakers with built in amp?

I want to play music in my shop and I got a nice pair of small Monitor wall speakers, but I can't afford a proper MP3 Jukebox at the moment. Can I power these from the PC and play music from iTunes??

Dangle_kt - 6/3/09 at 04:40 PM

should be fine - headphones work fine don;t they - and its no different to that.

Jubal - 6/3/09 at 04:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
should be fine - headphones work fine don;t they - and its no different to that.

I beg to differ. It's akin to powering speakers from a CD player. You still need an amp of some type. If the speakers are self powered then great but otherwise you'll need an amp. However, if the OP still has the amp that used to power these speakers previously then just plug the PC into that.

Dangle_kt - 6/3/09 at 05:07 PM

Sorry I misread OP posts, I thought he said monitor speakers, and just assumed they were the powered ones - re-read it properly.

OPPS!

tks - 6/3/09 at 06:35 PM

you can use your pc to power some speakers, but generally it are low power ones like headphones.

If you want your normal home stereo speakers to be used by yor computer you need to hookup your pc to the line input on a normal amp and connect those speakers to that amp.

britishtrident - 6/3/09 at 07:45 PM

Watch out for the PRS thought police --- seriously these days they are even going into garage workshops demanding money if the radio is on in the background.