Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA fail... Only just
furryeggs

posted on 3/4/18 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
IVA fail... Only just

Well, it failed at Nottingham. But only just, If I had taken my laptop I might of been able to bodge it enough to get it through but I would of most likely made it worse...

The long and short of it, it failed on emissions. There were 4 other things that i was able to rectify whilst there, but not the emissions.

1: Brake fluid light wasn’t coming on with the float switch. Pulled a wire out when fitting the bottom dash panel. SORTED
2: Wing mirror mount not 2.5mm... filed the edges, just needs painting. SORTED
3: Fog light coming on with the side light. Moved feed from side lights (Tigers loom) to main. SORTED
4: Rollcage mounts not 2.5mm (only just) filed edge. SORTED

I have spoken to rich at GBS (they are the closest emerald agent, plus I know them). I now need to check my shift pattern and the next available re-test and then get it over to get the MAP sorted.

All in all I’m chuffed to only have 1 thing to sort out. Even if it is a biggy.

jps

posted on 3/4/18 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Congratulations, at least you have only this last step to complete now! If I get to IVA and leave with only 1 thing to sort I will be over the moon!!

The epoxied cable bases didn't raise any comment then?

Ian2812

posted on 3/4/18 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
That's a bit of a bugger!

At least you only have the emissions to sort. Fingers crossed the re-map can sort it out.

Have a word down at the local VW / Audi garage, someone there might be able to set it up for when it's stationary / undergoing IVA / MOT testing...

furryeggs

posted on 3/4/18 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps
Congratulations, at least you have only this last step to complete now! If I get to IVA and leave with only 1 thing to sort I will be over the moon!!

The epoxied cable bases didn't raise any comment then?

I took them off and p-clipped them to the light bolts.

Didn’t really check as much as i was anticipating. Didn’t ask for the tunnel or drivers footwell plate to be removed.
Only a couple of nut covers were removed.
The brake test almost failed, it was close on the rears locking first but not enough for a fail.
All my nuts were ok for nylocs and threads showing.
He did have a good poke around with his balls but was happy with all but the cage and mirror mounts.
The bonnet catches were a a complete fail ( Thanks Tiger) but he was happy with the covers I made so git a pass.

He was a spot on chap, happy to explain things and answer questions. He let me use the rollers 2 times to recalibrate the speedo. Firstly it was reading 6mph over at 70. He set the rollers to metres ( didn’t have miles) and let me drive 3218m (2 miles) to calibrate but it still read 4mph over. On the second go I went 3000m and got 4mph under at 70 = pass My Stack speedo self calibrates from pulses over a 2 mile distance, obviously this is effected by circumferences, pick up position, tyre pressures, amount of pulses etc etc. Just used a little maths and common sense in the end.

Also, he would of passed my removable steering wheel as he is more than happy with them. I just have to fit it now and adjust the column a little. But that can wait a little while longer .

Irony

posted on 3/4/18 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
I failed my first time round as well. Seems like easyish fix so hopefully a pass next time. I was really surprised how helpful and encouraging the IVA testers were at Nottingham. Took the time to explain everything and how I should go about fixing stuff. They even pointed out some stuff that I should change but were not fails. Bunch of really helpful chaps
mikeb

posted on 3/4/18 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Well done, so close and hopefully an easy fix.
Benzine

posted on 3/4/18 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
Nice one! Hope you get the emissions sorted. Hopefully you'll get some proper sun when you've got it on the road!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ttalps2000

posted on 4/4/18 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
well done, i would be more than happy with that list! I had a nightmare with my IVA, so well done!
furryeggs

posted on 4/4/18 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
I’m in the process of sorting the emissions set up and retest. My exhaust Db were 94 so a good pass, I did notice however an ocassiinal puff from around the collector and cat so I could possibly have an exhaust leek? It could of been steam/smoke from the wrap or the tape around the lambda boss, is it worth striping it all off and checking and re sealing the system. I really don’t want to but if it’s going to screw the emissions up I might have too???
Daf

posted on 4/4/18 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
Ah so close! Damn good fail though, fair play.

Worth making sure the exhaust us sealed properly, a leak could indeed throw off the emissions.

Is the wide band working correctly? With this set up it should sail through the emissions, does it share a common earth with the ECU?

It's a nice feeling though knowing you have a set list to work to a and then you're on the road!

[Edited on 4/4/18 by Daf]

furryeggs

posted on 4/4/18 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daf
Ah so close! Damn good fail though, fair play.

Worth making sure the exhaust us sealed properly, a leak could indeed throw off the emissions.

Is the wide band working correctly? With this set up it should sail through the emissions, does it share a common earth with the ECU?

It's a nice feeling though knowing you have a set list to work to a and then you're on the road!

[Edited on 4/4/18 by Daf]

The wideband is working as it should, it’s just struggling to get to the correct lambda as the fuelings so far out... I’m booked in at GBS for them to set it up on their rollers. athey both have a connection to the main loom earth.

furryeggs

posted on 11/4/18 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
I have my re-test booked for the 9th of may...

I'm trying to get my emmisions sorted, Rich at GBS is going to help get it set up and show me a couple of bits in the map to tweek if needed at the re-test

There's a few bits I've dicided to sort and change to help get everything in line...The big unknown are my TB's, although everythings spaced to suit and it runs, there's just a few things that I haven't got enough time or knowledge to sort out. I don't know the cc of the injectors, hours of searching brings up sizes anywhere from 200cc - 410cc... They are currently set at 270cc as this is the most common size thats stated in everything I've read.
My balanceing isn't quite right either, the tiniest adjustment to any of the screws messes everything up very quickly. I can't get Cyl 1 to drop any lower than about 7CFM where as the other 3 are all at 4.5-5 CFM on tickover.
No matter what I've done I just can't get them set correctly. I think my exhaust is also blowing slightly at the collector so that needs to get re-sealed.

The long and short of it is I've ordered some new TB's from DanST that are spaced balanced and a known 240cc injector size. I'm sure my current TB's are fine. I'd just prefer to start with a known set up rather than guessing things and failing IVA again.
I've stripped the exhaust off as well ready to get the Gum Gum crap off and get it re assembled properly.

This should get me alot closer to GBS being able to sort things out fairly easily... Fingers crossed

furryeggs

posted on 6/5/18 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
So I’m now 2 days away from my re test. I’ve stripped and re sealed the entire exhaust, replaced my TB’s with a new set from DanST. These are balanced and 240cc injectors and fired up first time with no issues, just a slightly higher idle RPM.
I’ve re loaded a known ok map and made a few adjustments ready for the emmisions setting before the test on Wednesday

TPS reset,
Injectors scaled,
map set to open,

hopefully everythings ok and we can get it close enough to pass. If I can’t get it on tuesday I’ll have to cancel the re test and get it booked in for a proper mapping session and RR.

robinsoncrusoe55

posted on 7/5/18 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
Very best of luck for Tuesday !

Got them crossed for you !

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.