Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA Harness rules
David_17

posted on 28/12/18 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
IVA Harness rules

Hi guys.

Getting close to finished on my build now, should be applying for IVA soon. I fitted the harnesses yesterday, but realised this Morning that the buckles aren't radiused.

They're FIA approved and the buckle opens with one hand.

Do the adjusters get tested (considering they move, are they still a "hard" object). What's the usual solution?

Thanks in advance to anyone

Cheers

snapper

posted on 29/12/18 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
What about some slip over shoulder pads to drop over the adjusters, could also work for the rear adjusters.
I would do something permanent for the radiator mount that looks lethal.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

BenB

posted on 29/12/18 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
I hope that rad is an intercooler and not full of water or oil otherwise a pipe going could lead to third degree burns. It probably wouldn't be lethal but boiling liquids over my head and neck isn't my idea of fun. Not sure what the answer is but I wouldn't be happy with that directly behind my head.
David_17

posted on 29/12/18 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
Yep its only an intercooler. Also had substantial mounts underneath, just the top one to stabilise it.

Thanks for the replies.

FamilyGuy

posted on 29/12/18 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
I'll be interested how you get on with this. I have the same harnesses as you and contacted the DVSA regarding their acceptability for IVA. I got the following reply.

"Each seat belt must bear the appropriate approval marks or have the equivalent characteristics to that of a belt approved for the same category of vehicle, for a harness belt the acceptable approval is FIA 8853-98, please see section 31 of the IVA M1 inspection manual for the full required standards relating to seat belts, note 4 lists the equivalent characteristics.

IVA M1 inspection manual:https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/iva-manual-for-vehicle-category-m1

If the locking mechanism can be released by a single movement in one direction by either hand then that will be ok."

FIA 8853-98 is the spec for the 6 point harnesses, the 4 point harnesses are FIA 8854-98. The harness construction is the same with the exception of the two extra straps, the buckle design is essentially the same. I am hoping the inspector will accept the harnesses under note 4.
When I googled the issue there were plenty of people saying FIA harnesses are now ok for IVA.

When is your IVA?

FamilyGuy

posted on 29/12/18 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
Also I see you have the same headlights as me. Are you planning on raising them up from the mounting points for IVA as I understand this is needed to get the required view angles (yours looks like a rocket, is that right??).
David_17

posted on 29/12/18 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Hi. Yes it's a rocket and the light will be lifted for the test. Also the mounts on the chassis will need the edges covering.

The problem with the harnesses is for the exterior projections. Seatbelts and pedals are exempt from the interior test, but if they're within 200mm of the outside of the car, are tested on exterior projections. I think I've decided to make elasticated covers to go over the buckles, which will mean the belts can still be tightened with one hand, so should be fine.

FamilyGuy

posted on 29/12/18 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Wouldn't mind knowing what the IVA inspector says about whether they need to be covered or not. I will have to do the same as you if so.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.