Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Side Repeaters
G13BLocost

posted on 1/6/19 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
Side Repeaters

Good Morning All,

From what I can tell in the IVA rules there is no reason to have side repeaters if your indicators can be seen at a wide angle at the front and rear of the car. My indicators are quite far forward Caterham-style and shouldn't cause me any visibility issues.

Am I missing something?

I see quite a few people with wing-mirror mounted side repeaters for IVA.

Cheers,
Josh

My Locost blog: ogilvietacing.com

CosKev3

posted on 1/6/19 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
Pretty sure they are a requirement,or if not you would need some strange shaped front ones which would allow them to be visible from the rear
harmchar

posted on 1/6/19 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
Think a photo of your indicators is required here as I am curious how they can be seen from rear (unless mounted higher than the wheel line)
G13BLocost

posted on 1/6/19 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
The FRONT indicators need to be visible from the REAR? How did I miss that bit in the IVA manual...

I better dig back into my manual

harmchar

posted on 1/6/19 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
It's not the actual rear of the car, but must be visible between 5 and 60 degrees from the side. My rough estimate is if you go to the back of the cars length and take a step to the side, that's the sort of angle that needs to still be visible. Page 168 of IVA manual. I'm almost at the stage of fitting mine and had some head scratching where I was going to site the small LEDs I want to use. Wish I had thought of it before purchasing the side mirrors or I would have bought the more expensive ones fitted with side markers.

[Edited on 1/6/19 by harmchar]

CosKev3

posted on 1/6/19 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by G13BLocost
The FRONT indicators need to be visible from the REAR? How did I miss that bit in the IVA manual...

I better dig back into my manual

They would need to be visible from the rear,if like you think you dont need side repeaters!

CosKev3

posted on 1/6/19 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by harmchar
It's not the actual rear of the car, but must be visible between 5 and 60 degrees from the side. My rough estimate is if you go to the back of the cars length and take a step to the side, that's the sort of angle that needs to still be visible. Page 168 of IVA manual. I'm almost at the stage of fitting mine and had some head scratching where I was going to site the small LEDs I want to use. Wish I had thought of it before purchasing the side mirrors or I would have bought the more expensive ones fitted with side markers.

[Edited on 1/6/19 by harmchar]

Not many mirrors with side repeaters built in will pass IVA,as they are not visible from the rear.

Front arches or rear arches are the easiest position to locate them for IVA

G13BLocost

posted on 1/6/19 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
Gonna pull the tape measure out and see if I can get away with ones in the rear arches. Is there a position they check from? Behind the car? Car center line?

CosKev3

posted on 1/6/19 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Gonna pull the tape measure out and see if I can get away with ones in the rear arches. Is there a position they check from? Behind the car? Car center line?

There is a maximum distance from the front of the car you need to consider,cant remember what it is but it's in the IVA manual

G13BLocost

posted on 1/6/19 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, well kick me in shin, side repeaters are mandatory. Section 23 page 2 of 3.

There must be one a side which is less than 2600mm from the front of the vehicle. 5 degree to 60 degree outboard visibility. Min height 350mm, 15 degree above, 5 degree below visibility.

Insane. I'd love to know what they are there for ...

G13BLocost

posted on 1/6/19 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
Book Locost chassis and I can just make the 2600mm rule and fit them on the rear arches

CosKev3

posted on 1/6/19 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Yep, well kick me in shin, side repeaters are mandatory. Section 23 page 2 of 3.

There must be one a side which is less than 2600mm from the front of the vehicle. 5 degree to 60 degree outboard visibility. Min height 350mm, 15 degree above, 5 degree below visibility.

Insane. I'd love to know what they are there for ...

The same reason all cars have them!

If you are sat at 90 degrees to the main road waiting to pull out,if you want to change lanes and cars are overtaking/about to overtake you etc

G13BLocost

posted on 1/6/19 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Makes sense!

harmchar

posted on 1/6/19 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
I thought about on the scuttle just under my side mirrors but think there was a measurement it fell foul of IVA regs. Will have to get back to mine soon.
40inches

posted on 1/6/19 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
This is where I put mine, would be better nearer the front of the arch, I passed IVA but it was touch and go, another 50mm nearer the front of the car would be better. Easy to wire up from the indicators on the rear of the arch
Description
Description

G13BLocost

posted on 1/6/19 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you! I am using your picture as a reference

CosKev3

posted on 1/6/19 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by harmchar
I thought about on the scuttle just under my side mirrors but think there was a measurement it fell foul of IVA regs. Will have to get back to mine soon.

Yeah that's no good for IVA,used to pass SVA fitted there but they changed the requirements

chillis

posted on 2/6/19 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
indicators need to been seen by traffic in adjacent lanes such as when on the motorway, Side repeaters are required unless your front indicators can be seen by traffic to the side, so in effect you will need them and the need to be high enough up that the rear wheel arch does not obscure them from view.

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

SteveWalker

posted on 2/6/19 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know if the IVA rules are any different to the SVA ones, but I put mine on the front cycle-wings and ran the wiring in small, flexible conduit, along the top suspension arm.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.