Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Donor Bike
Mickrick

posted on 7/11/20 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
Donor Bike

Hello there, I'm new here, so please be gentle
I'm thinking about engine options for my new build Seven, I've been building the car for years, and I go through various engine ideas, then change my mind. So I think it's time to be decisive, and realize the reality is that if I don't just go for it, at knocking on the door of 60 years old I'll be running out of time!
My latest idea I think is the most cost effective option, as money is going to be an issue otherwise, is to use a bike engine. Relatively cheap, Light, powerfull, and a 6 speed sequential, what's not to like?
My only concern is IVA... I've seen a very low mileage Japanese import Hayabusa, it's still on the Japan Papers but is on the Nova system.
My first question is, the bike is older than my chassis, bike is 2001, my chassis is 2007, how will it be tested for emissions?
Secondly, Would I have to register the bike to get a V5, or can I leave it on the nova system, and the japanese papers?
Any advice greatly appreciated.

Deckman001

posted on 7/11/20 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
Hi and welcome !!

Bike engines are usually very powerfull, especially a Hyabusas are the most powerful for cars. The only down side is you should make your car as light as possible to keep the power to weight ratio good as bike engines have good horse power, but not so great torque.

your IVA test would be based upon the date it is tested unless you already have a registered chassis based kit car to put the bike engine into. Therefore you will need to meet current emissions along with a cat in the exhaust.

Lots of people have already done this, so it can be done, but i don't think it's as cost effective as a cheaper car engine like zetecs being normal these days.

Jason

Mickrick

posted on 7/11/20 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Jason, Thank you for the welcome and your reply.
I have spent a lot of time and money trying to keep the weight down, the car with a bike engine should be well under 500 kg, so I don't think that's an issue. But ultimately I would like to see close to 300hp, so the Busa engine would be perfect and reliable considering people are getting up to 700 out of them.
My plan is to leave it pretty much stock to get it through IVA, then I can tune it later. My main concern is getting it through emissions, and whether I would need to register the donor bike, or can I leave it on the NOVA system? The last thing I need is a Q plate, as the car will eventually be registered abroad.

Deckman001

posted on 7/11/20 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
Hi, sounds good, as long as you keep it std for the test, along with the induction types, ignition and exhaust options then you should be ok, there are a few people on here along with other similar web sites who already have busa based cars so could be very useful for your project.

Good luck with the build, don't forget to make sure you have an up to date IVA forms and guide along with requirements for your car and engine.

Jason

ReMan

posted on 7/11/20 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Dont know a lot about Nova. But I assume that this she bit that you have recorded the bike as in the UK. But in this case are not bothered about registering it for road use in its own right.
AFAIK for IVA then youd be fine as I dont belive theres any requirement to provide proof of origin on the engine, but the Nova would form the reciept for it if it was requested.
For emissions as its injection then should have no problem with CAT and mapping it to suit
Dont forget to condsider the oiling on the Busa as well (dry sump or other)as they can (not always) be prome to starvation in a car

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

CosKev3

posted on 7/11/20 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
You talk about cost effective then say you want 300bhp!

Presuming you mean turbocharging the Busa engine?

You will be over 10k with ease to turbocharge it properly and have it reliable in a car.

Ref the IVA remember with a bike engine you need a reverse gear to pass.

Mickrick

posted on 7/11/20 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Hi again, thanks for the replies. I'm aware of the oiling issues, and I would dry sump it. If you consider I was looking at over 20k for the car engine, plus 6-10k for a sequential gearbox, then yes, the bike engine option starts to look very attractive financially. I would go for the quaife reversing box, it's a nice compact unit, and I like dealing with them, they sold me a nice torque bias diff, and dealing with them was pleasurable and hassle free.
Plus the bike engine and box seems to be around 75kg, as opposed to about 150kg for the combined car engine and gearbox..... That's a whole skinny person !

roadrunner

posted on 9/11/20 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
You don't need a lot of power to make these cars go fast.
First bike engine i had was a ZX9r and it flew.
It only suffered when there was a passenger.
The magic number is around 200bhp. Once you start going north of that then you start struggling with traction.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.