Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Answers from Derby SVA
givemethebighammer

posted on 12/5/03 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
Answers from Derby SVA

1. Brake pipes should be fixed at minimum of 300mm intervals with P clips.

2. Brake bias valve must be tamper-proof, however it need not be welded. A roll pin through both the adjuster bolt and the locking nut is OK. (He said they may knock it out slightly just to prove it goes all the way through !!! They had some guy cut a roll pin in two and insert the two pieces into holes drilled either side of the locking nut !!)

3. Pedals should have a non slip surface, does not need to be rubber, metal ribs are OK. Even said ribs welded across the surface of the pedal were OK.

4. The teeth of your handbrake, should officially be covered with pading however, a gaiter is normally accepted as OK, provided the material is thick enough.

plus usual stuff about sharp edges, proof of engine age and general build quality.

that is Derby SVA anyway, nice guys as well.

[Edited on 12/5/03 by givemethebighammer]

Peteff

posted on 13/5/03 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
Derby SVA, top men.

I went there a couple of years ago and they were brilliant. I asked how it was doing and he said you've failed on the rear reflectors. They gave me a pair of self adhesive ones and I replaced them by post. Also after the brake test the car started losing water but he said it didn't matter as it only had to run for the silencer test and gave me time to fix it. I only tightened the clip up and it's been o.k. since.
Does the brake bias valve only have to be locked if you can reach it from the driving position?

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

givemethebighammer

posted on 13/5/03 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Nope, asked this question, needs to be locked full stop
Chazzy

posted on 19/5/03 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
last August i put my Stuart taylor into another SVA station (not Derby but local). The bias adjuster was not lockable. The very nice man told me that it had to appear locked and that he had to be able to say (to his boss if asked) that it appeared locked (ie he wouldn't check it!) they even suggested i go to the commercial workshop mnext door to scrounge a roll pin.
The pin is in two bits araldited into a nut

Chas

Viper

posted on 19/5/03 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
perhaps the awnser is to box in the bias bar/cyls what can't be seen etc.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.