Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: To weld rollbar or to bolt?
Mark Allanson

posted on 17/5/03 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
To weld rollbar or to bolt?

I read a while back that if the roll bar is welded on, it is exempt from any sharp edges rules on the SVA because it is part of the structure.

My roll bar is not braced and at the moment and is bolted on with 3 M10 8.8 bolts at each end, it does not carry any harness mounts.

Am I better to weld the bar onto the chassis or leave it bolted, but not fitted for the test itself?

Viper

posted on 17/5/03 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Will you ever need to remove it? Will the rear supports cover something like the fuel tank making it dificult to remove should you ever need to? personely i am going to bolt mine, it's easy to rad the edges of the feet and cover the bolt heads.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
paulbeyer

posted on 17/5/03 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
I have just posted some pictures in my photo archive of the anodised cup washers I am using to bolt my roll bar down with. Pictures are a bit out of focus but should give you an idea.

I got them mail order from BSR Aerotek.

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

Peteff

posted on 19/5/03 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
You could use button head allen bolts to get round the radius thing. I welded mine on but we took one to Derby with a bolt on rollbar and they never looked at it.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

merlin

posted on 27/5/03 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
roll bar

For my SVA they were not bothered about the bolts (used domed allen key type), they were concerned with the edges of the square plate at the base. Stupid really because it is no different to the one underneath it that it bolts to but apparently if it is 'bolted on' it must be radiused (Down here in the Souf!) - believe me, after 4 sodding re-tests I have a bloody good knowledge of the SVA down here!!

shit happens! (but why always to me!!)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
paulf

posted on 28/5/03 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
My roll bar is bolted on and the base is 3mm steel .How is it possible to satisfy the 2.5 mm rad rule? or does it just need to have the sharp corners removed?. I thought about putting some wing piping as used on the back wings around the edges.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by merlin
For my SVA they were not bothered about the bolts (used domed allen key type), they were concerned with the edges of the square plate at the base. Stupid really because it is no different to the one underneath it that it bolts to but apparently if it is 'bolted on' it must be radiused (Down here in the Souf!) - believe me, after 4 sodding re-tests I have a bloody good knowledge of the SVA down here!!

zetec

posted on 29/5/03 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
I used stick on foam from Woolies to cover any edges that are hard to radius. If it is "on show" its easy to Evo some vinyl over it to make it look finished. Comes in several widths, just buy a couple of metres, and good for under dash covering.
merlin

posted on 29/5/03 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
edging

Mine passed with the 'tadpole' piping sandwiched between the rollbar plate and chassis (also done the same on the dash!) This has a soft core and is about 5mm dia and comes in just about any colour (also easy to remove!?)
Woolies also sell this!

I did use the sticky foam around the lock nut of the front shocks and that passed.

shit happens! (but why always to me!!)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.