Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: self centering for tomorrow - tracking please!
james h

posted on 18/8/09 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
self centering for tomorrow - tracking please!

I have my sva retest tomorrow in my MK.

Currently I have no self centering - so can someone tell me how much toe, camber and tyre pressures are needed?

Thanks,

James

StevieB

posted on 18/8/09 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
I got through it with as much toe out as possible (enough so there's only the minnimum thread holding the TRE's on), pump tyres up as much as you dare (35psi...). Worked for me.

I run neg camber at about 3mm in at the top of the wheel (not tyre) measuring the wheel against a vertical spirit level (haven't measured the actual angle yet). I don't think camber will help the self centering though, it's the castor that you need setting to max, but this is a major problem with the Indy.

David Jenkins

posted on 18/8/09 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Jack up the nose and make sure that the steering is running really easily - push a wheel to move it left and right.

If it doesn't move with minimum force then something is too stiff and needs attention. If it's too stiff then it doesn't matter whether the geometry is right or wrong - it won't self-centre.

RickRick

posted on 18/8/09 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
on my MNR first sva no self centering. set the toe slightly out and tried it on the drive, no centering lowered the tire pressures from 30 to 8 keeping same toe out and it centered even at walking pace down the drive way
james h

posted on 18/8/09 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Well I think what I will do is try the lower pressure method first (maybe a bit safer) - I think it will help with brake balance too. If that doesn't work then I will go for StevieB's method. My steering does feel a little stiff actually, something to look at in the morning.

Thanks all

James

mad4x4

posted on 19/8/09 at 06:27 AM Reply With Quote
watch I set mine to toe out a lot with high PSI and by the time I drove the 45miles to the SVA the tyres had scrubed in to normal and I lost all the "toe out advantage" and struggled again getting the sva to accept it....

MK's really need different top bones.

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

james h

posted on 19/8/09 at 06:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mad4x4
watch I set mine to toe out a lot with high PSI and by the time I drove the 45miles to the SVA the tyres had scrubed in to normal and I lost all the "toe out advantage" and struggled again getting the sva to accept it....

MK's really need different top bones.

Yep I plan to get some wozsher wishbones for after sva. Fortunately I am trailering the car.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.